all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Help with S&S stretching exercises?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oscar

Level 7 Valued Member
Hi all,

I'm not finding it easy to do the S&S stretching exercises. On both exercises I find it hard to hold the position as I find both quite uncomfortable (besides the stretch feel that is usually not that confortable).

Also, for the 90-90, I'm not so sure how to find the position or if I'm doing it right. I kind of feel a stretch in the glute, but it feels different from a typical muscle stretch as when touching toes or similar.

Finally, I'm not so sure how long to hold? Or is it mandatory to do every day? Is there any other assistance stretches to help progress?

I know this is probably because I lack flexibility at this stage, but I guess many of us starting S&S do.

Thanks!

Can you be more specific about which stretches make you uncomfortable and in which way?

You could post video of your 90/90 or of any of them.

-S-

Hello,

@Oscar
Stretching is sometimes something difficult. We are all more comfortable with certain moves than others. Did you get injured some times ago ?

If you want, you can post a vid about what you find difficult.

I took me almost 2 years of everyday practice to reach a full split so I think stretch is a pretty long process

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi @Oscar

I don't know if my form is optimal, but I do have the stretches at the end of this video of One Complete S&S Session if that helps.

I think the stretches were also discussed in the thread where I first posted it: One Complete S&S Session

Breathing is a key to stretching. Deep breathing, and sink a little bit deeper into the stretch on the exhale.

You could sit on some stiff foam yoga blocks or something similar to elevate yourself, and remove elevation to work your way to the floor as you gain flexibility. When I first started yoga I needed a lot of props to modify positions. Then with practice I could progressively eliminate the assistance from props as I gained flexibility. For QL I still sit on a foam roller to make the stretch more effective for me.

Last edited:
@Steve Freides , good idea, Ill post a video on the 90/90 and the QL straddle to see if I´m doing them the right way.

For the 90/90, I find it hard to square the hips forward as Pavel does in the book´s picture. I´m not particularly uncomfortable with it, but I just find it hard to feel the stretch. Im gonna try @Geoff Chafe´s suggestion and elevate my hip with a block, maybe that will allow me to square my hips forward and get in the right position for the stretch. Maybe I cant square my hips due to tightness on the hip flexors of the back leg.

@Anna C thats a great video and post with a lot of useful info... Im gonna give a try to that suggestion on resembling the 90/90 front leg position during a relax.

@Pet, I underwent ACL surgery about 6 years ago, but Im not suffering any limitations from it (I think). Ive also had patellar tendinopathy on both knees, but fortunately they are not hurting any more and Im being able to do the S&S practice without problems. I think the tendinopathies are likely related to poor movement mechanics and lack of flexibility, which is also related to my difficulties stretching....

Thanks all for the suggestions!

I underwent ACL surgery about 6 years ago, but Im not suffering any limitations from it (I think). Ive also had patellar tendinopathy on both knees, but fortunately they are not hurting any more and Im being able to do the S&S practice without problems. I think the tendinopathies are likely related to poor movement mechanics and lack of flexibility, which is also related to my difficulties stretching....

Can you do the goblet squat effortlessly too? I've found it difficult and I have some issues with those stretches too. My patellar tendon went under operation last fall.

@masa yes, I can do the goblet squat. It is not effortless, I have to fight the rounding of the lower back at the bottom position, but Im being able to go below parallel without rounding the back, so I think it is acceptable. In any case, I dont attribute any limitations to the ACL surgery.

Where do you feel the limitations with the goblet squat and the stretches? Were you able to regain full flexion with the knee after the surgery?

About the stretches, Ive done a few corrections and they are working a lot better now. On the 90/90, I just wasnt doing it right. I copied @Anna C positions from the video, and I also read that chapter of the book again. I am now focusing on keeping the back straight and bending forward from the hip right above the knee. Then, when I reach my limit, I start moving sideways to find the spot that works the most. Im feeling a nice stretch in the glute.

On the QL Straddle, I have found that instead of having the passive hand on the floor, if you hold to a rope or rudder band, it really helps you get in the correct position and i think it doesnt modify the spirit of the stretch.

@Oscar thanks for your reply. I have full flexion, but it feels funky. It's only a half year from the operation. I can do squats with TRX quite well.

@masa my surgery was 6 years ago, and Im doing great now, but I can recall that squats felt funky for sure 6 months after surgery. TRX sounds like a good idea, since it assists you in not falling on your butt without putting extra load, as does the goblet squat.

@Oscar good to now that there might be hope for me too squat properly someday. It just takes some time. TRX helps alot. I'm going to use yoga blocks to elevate my body during stretches and rubber band for assistance.

Thanks @taedoju. I'm going to use that last version of the Hip Stretch daily in the sauna. I can do it on the benches. Tested it yesterday. So happy.:)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom