all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Hey Need help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Aj25801

Level 1 Valued Member
Relax into Stretch and Super Joints fast and Loose program before or after naked warrior ? Just wondering I dont have time except in the morning to work out and stretch in which order should I go stretching program first then strength train or opposite please.

Generally speaking, static stretching should not be done immediately before resistance training. It's not something to lose sleep over, but stretching can reduce muscle activation. Note that dynamic stretching is very different - dynamic stretching serves well as part of a warm up for resistance training.

Why this is true: One of the main limits to your range of motion is neurological - when you feel like you're stretching to the limit, that feeling is due to nerves in the muscle/tendon that tell your brain when the muscle lengthens beyond its accustomed range. When this happens, your brain responds by trying to protect that muscle, and that protection includes inhibiting the signals that cause muscle contraction. (This neural aspect to "flexibility" is one of the guiding principles behind Relax into Stretch, incidentally. Related, one good way to improve your range of motion is, after you've just stretched a muscle, do an isometric contraction at/near the max stretch, which helps teach your brain that this is a safe place for your muscle to be.)

As for evidence to back up this physiological hypothesis/story, I've heard Menno Henselmans in a podcast say that studies show that hypertrophy outcomes are generally worse in studies where they include static stretching prior to/in the middle of sets. So, like, a random person on an internet forum (me) says that an expert (Henselmans) recounted evidence that hypertrophy is inhibited by static stretching. However, I can, at least, link the podcast in question and even suggest a window of a few minutes for where to find it ( 154: Menno Henselmans - Diet Breaks, Elevated Heels & Inter-Set Stretching it's probably between minutes 2 and 7 based on the timestamps in the description).

Thanks
Generally speaking, static stretching should not be done immediately before resistance training. It's not something to lose sleep over, but stretching can reduce muscle activation. Note that dynamic stretching is very different - dynamic stretching serves well as part of a warm up for resistance training.

Why this is true: One of the main limits to your range of motion is neurological - when you feel like you're stretching to the limit, that feeling is due to nerves in the muscle/tendon that tell your brain when the muscle lengthens beyond its accustomed range. When this happens, your brain responds by trying to protect that muscle, and that protection includes inhibiting the signals that cause muscle contraction. (This neural aspect to "flexibility" is one of the guiding principles behind Relax into Stretch, incidentally. Related, one good way to improve your range of motion is, after you've just stretched a muscle, do an isometric contraction at/near the max stretch, which helps teach your brain that this is a safe place for your muscle to be.)

As for evidence to back up this physiological hypothesis/story, I've heard Menno Henselmans in a podcast say that studies show that hypertrophy outcomes are generally worse in studies where they include static stretching prior to/in the middle of sets. So, like, a random person on an internet forum (me) says that an expert (Henselmans) recounted evidence that hypertrophy is inhibited by static stretching. However, I can, at least, link the podcast in question and even suggest a window of a few minutes for where to find it ( 154: Menno Henselmans - Diet Breaks, Elevated Heels & Inter-Set Stretching it's probably between minutes 2 and 7 based on the timestamps in the description).

Thanks so what types of stretching are in relax into stretch? Static from what I see so I shall do them a different time prior of after my strength training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom