all posts post new thread

Nutrition High Carb low fat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Has anyone any experience with running a high carb low fat diet. Currently running R Moore’s plan. About a week in. Eating carbs is good though it’s a challenge to keep the fats low. Forces me to eat more fruit and veg which is good. Workout schedule is tough at the moment and inspite of this energy levels are good as is sleep. Will run for 6 weeks and see what happens with scale weight, body comp and performance.

I've been on every diet known to humankind and didn't experience any appreciable difference in weight lost between ketogenic (very low carb) and very low fat approaches. I would add Weight Watchers points as a third effective approach. I'm convinced it's fundamentally about calories and the optimal diet is whatever you can maintain the longest

2 studies:

"Both high and low percentages of carbohydrate diets were associated with increased mortality, with minimal risk observed at 50–55% carbohydrate intake."

The other massive one:

"our assessment shows that the leading dietary risk factors for mortality are diets high in sodium, low in whole grains, low in fruit, low in nuts and seeds, low in vegetables, and low in omega-3 fatty acids;"

Put the 2 together, what do you get?
A diet of mixed macronutrients, plenty from fruit, veg, nuts and oils. Chuck in your protein, eat in moderation.

I can't be arsed with calorie counting etc but I eat a lot of fruit, veg and nuts. Carb and energy intake rises considerably when training with high intensity. Otherwise I'm a wreck.

As far as body composition/fat loss I have had good results with high cards, moderate protein and low fat as well as high fat, moderate protein and very low carbs.
I think where people have the biggest issues, mainly in my fat a$$ country of America is with high carbs and high fat with little to no attention being placed on quality protein. Pizza and donuts should be a treat every now and then, not a way of life. Sadly, this is not the case.

Back in my 20s and more recently a few years back I've been known to get my fat macros < 20%, >15%. That is the most I was ever willing to do as anything more would have required a very restrictive approach at every meal. In my 20s I would simply eat bulk of my fats with breakfast (including large bowl of chocolate ice cream) and get minimal the rest of the day, though some to be sure. At 5'10" about 175-180lbs was eating well over 3500 calories/day which was bare minimum. My BF was maintained for months on end at about 7-8%. 3 months after near total stoppage of training due to shoulder injury I was still measured at 7%.

My experience is that it was almost impossible to meaningfully increase my bodyfat % on that diet so long as I was exercising regularly, no matter how much I ate. I also had a lot of trouble gaining any more lean body mass, topping out at 185, a lean weight I now easily maintain.

I know what the diet research says and definitely CICO is the most important factor, but the research also says that de novo lipogenesis from carbs contributes about zero to bodyfat in active human beings, so there are a bunch of factors involved in calculating CICO that may not be obvious.

I do not have experience with lower fat macros than that. I do know that it can effect hormones, anabolism, connective tissue synthesis etc if one goes too low, but am pretty sure that happens at <10%. Give it a try but I would limit the reduction to no lower than 15% macros and if you want to gain mass, even lean muscle, you will likely need to get closer to 20%.

I've been vegan for 10 years now so, although it's not by design, my diet is fairly high carb and low fat.

It works for me; I've stayed consistently lean and have been able to add muscle, albeit slowly. I'm currently training the Olympic lifts and am still very much limited by technique rather than strength/power so I'm not really looking to 'bulk-up' at all. If I was looking to gain strength/muscle, I would need to make some serious adjustments to increase my protein intake significantly.

When I was tracking my calories and training S&S 5-6 days per week, I was consistently eating between 2,800-3,200 kCal per day, maintaining a weight of around 64kg and comfortable doing swings and get-ups with a 40kg bell.

I've been on every diet known to humankind and didn't experience any appreciable difference in weight lost between ketogenic (very low carb) and very low fat approaches. I would add Weight Watchers points as a third effective approach. I'm convinced it's fundamentally about calories and the optimal diet is whatever you can maintain the longest
I am certainly no diet expert but I have to agree with Luke's last sentence....what can you maintain the longest. I've seen people lose tremendous amounts of weight cutting out carbs with an end goal such as a wedding, a cruise or whatever. Within a short time of stopping the diet their weight usually ballooned back up and then some!! Sustainability seems more sensible to me.

I've seen people lose tremendous amounts of weight cutting out carbs with an end goal such as a wedding, a cruise or whatever. Within a short time of stopping the diet their weight usually ballooned back up and then some!! Sustainability seems more sensible to me.
Yo-Yo Weight Loss and Regain

This is here to stay and is not going to change.

"The U.S. weight loss market is now worth a record $72 billion,..."
Source: The $72 Billion Weight Loss & Diet Control Market in the United States, 2019-2023 - Why Meal Replacements are Still Booming, but Not OTC Diet Pills - ResearchAndMarkets.com

The Weight Loss Business is going to continue to do well.

Successful Vs Unsuccessful Individual

As someone once said, Successful Individual are willing to do what Unsuccessful Individual won't.

That is one of the primary reason the majority of individual who go on a diet go off of it. Then gain the weight back, plus more.

Other Factors

1) Poor Genetics. Some are predisposted to being over weight.

These individual can lose weight but most likely will never be thin. They will need to stay focused on their "Eating Plan".

2) Metabolic Conditions

Hypothyroidism is one of the reason many women and some men gain weight and cannot lose it.

No diet will work with these individual without until their thyroid condition is take care of.

Sustainable Diet

All diets initially work.

Mark Haub, MS Nutrtionist, Kansas State proved eating junk food in a calorie deficit was effective; losing 27 lbs in three months.

The keys, as you essentially noted, is to find a diet that you can live with/that you like.

Restricitive Diets

The issue with diets that are highly restrictive is that are harder to mantain/stick with. That applies to everything in life.

The harder you make something the less like someone will stick with it.

Even so, the majority of individual who go on a diet, eventually fall off of it; they lack enough motivation to stick with it.

Dr. Jason Curtis' Sports Phyhologist Research

At the 2011 Albuquerque Strength Clinic, Curtis provided some interesting research on a local Weight Loss Challange Contest. It was similar to the "Body For Life Weight Loss Challange" by Bill Phillips.

Clients were assigned a Personal Training to assist them with their training program and provide diet assistance.

Curtis research basically determined that, metaphorically speaking, most didn't have the "Motivation Gene"; they lacked the drive to stick with the weight loss program.

One of the most interesting part of Curtis' research was the connection/influence between some individuals on the Weight Loss Challage to their Personal Trainers.

While the individual still lacked motivation, a strong relationship between some individual in the Weight Loss Challange and their their Personal Trainer, encouged them enough to obtain some good results and stick with their program.

Summary

As they saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water but you can make it drink."

Until someone is motivated enough, they are not going to succeed.

I know for maximizing muscle size the high carb high protein approach is time tested and effective. It has been “the way” for decades. Protein builds the muscle and carbs are very “anabolic”. Rusty knows his stuff.
If you are the kind of person that can do strict diets and not run into the issues associated with it, then it is probably the best way to build as much muscle as possible for the calories.

Your average human across all races and cultures becomes overweight once surrounded with readily accessible and calorifically dense foodstuffs. We've seen in places like China and are rapidly seeing in places like India what happens when traditionally high carb/low fat eating, active and lean populations get access to more carbs and more fat, particularly through fast foods, and more sedentary jobs. They pack on the pounds, like the rest of us! The best proof is that obesity rates in the developing world increase in the cities first - that's where the fast food and sedentary jobs start

Your average human across all races and cultures becomes overweight once surrounded with readily accessible and calorifically dense foodstuffs. We've seen in places like China and are rapidly seeing in places like India what happens when traditionally high carb/low fat eating, active and lean populations get access to more carbs and more fat, particularly through fast foods, and more sedentary jobs. They pack on the pounds, like the rest of us! The best proof is that obesity rates in the developing world increase in the cities first - that's where the fast food and sedentary jobs start
I'd say its the lack of physical work, but then I used to get to NYC every few years for work and was struck by how lean most people on the street were. Lots of walking, pretty sure relatively few of them had a tough physical job. Of course that's only the people you see - looking around at the canyons of inhabitable space, you realize the people you see at any given time are a very small % of the total.

I recently read Orwell's "Road to Wigan Pier" and his description of the miner's physique from the mid 30s is telling - the weakest of them were olympic caliber. Reading the full breakdown of their job description I'm not sure anyone works that hard anymore, literally anywhere on the planet. I know there are still "artisanal mining" operations and virtual slave labor being employed in a bunch of industries, but on that scale and productive output, it just makes more sense to mechanize the most labor intensive parts of any physical job nowadays.
The basis of their diet, therefore, is white bread and
margarine, corned beef, sugared tea, and potatoes--an appalling diet.
Sounds remarkably similar to the one I grew up on if you toss in a few cans of vegetables and cocoa powder! (y)

Last edited:
I'd say its the lack of physical work, but then I used to get to NYC every few years for work and was struck by how lean most people on the street were. Lots of walking, pretty sure relatively few of them had a tough physical job.
I recall reading somewhere that New Yorker's averaged 3/4 of a mile more walking each day than people in the rest of the country. That's not a ton of time, maybe 15 minutes a day, likely something like a 5-minute walk to the subway each way and going out to grab some lunch, but it's enough to matter.

-S-

I recall reading somewhere that New Yorker's averaged 3/4 of a mile more walking each day than people in the rest of the country. That's not a ton of time, maybe 15 minutes a day, likely something like a 5-minute walk to the subway each way and going out to grab some lunch, but it's enough to matter.

-S-
I travelled last week and my daily steps dropped from 13000 down to 6000 on average and I gained back a surprisingly large amount of weight during that week. Walking is crazy how much it effects it.

Last edited:
I think the big deal of walking is how much you can do it, at least in reasonable doses. It doesn't take anything away from you, rather just make you more refreshed. Doing a more intensive session of weights or cardio inevitably takes a toll on the rest of the day, making me less active until I recover. But with walking, I can always add more steps.

If possible, I always think a ten minute break is better used with a leisurely walk instead of crashing on a recliner. Those minutes add up. At least in my thoughts, sadly not always in my actions. But it would be a big deal if one could make it a habit.

I travelled last week and my daily steps dropped from 13000 down to 6000 on average and I gained back a surprisingly large amount of weight during that week. Walking is crazy how much it effects it.
Interesting observation. What 'large amount of weight' means in your case?

It was about 6 pounds.

Crazy

It is not only crazy but makes no sense.

Exercise in general does little for weight loss.

Low level activities such a walking is at the bottom of the scale when it come to weight loss.

1) Very few calories are burned during a low level activitiy, like walking.

2) There is no post elevation in metabolic rate after walking.

EPOC, Excess Post Oxygen Consumption

EPOC is what elicits Post Elevetion in Metabolic Rate.

EPOC amounts to overcharing your "Metabolic Credit Card".

It is produced with High Intensity Training Protocols.

You essentially expending more energy that you can immediately pay back.

However, your "Metabolic Credit Card" works as most Credit Cards. You are allowed to pay it back over time, with interest.

That means, your Metbolic Rate remain elevated for hour after a High Intensity Training Session.

Dr. Jacob Wilson's Low Level Intenisty Research

Wilson's reserach on low level activities, such as walking, determined that not only does it not burn many calorie during the activity or increase your Post Metabolic Rate; your body adapts to low level activites by lowing your Metabolic Rate.

Wilon's research found that the body's Metabolic Rate does not adapt to High Intensity Training.

That means High Intensity Training ensure you Metabolic Rate is jacked up for hours afterward.

4) A dramatic increase in body weight is often due to a dramatic increase in carbohydrates which produce an increase in water weight.

Walking For Weight Loss

There are health benefits to walking.

However, weight loss isn't one of those benefits: very few calories are burned and their is no increase in Post Metabolic Rate.

That is one of the reason why many overweight individual who walk remain overweight.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom