all posts post new thread

Nutrition High Carb low fat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Could be. But it is outside my regulars weight fluctuations. I’m sure it is partially to blame
I've seen similar strange weight jumps with my sister when I was helping her with her nutrition regimen, she was on work trips, hours on a plane, sitting in a car or an office chair, and different foods and sleep schedule.

I've seen similar strange weight jumps with my sister when I was helping her with her nutrition regimen, she was on work trips, hours on a plane, sitting in a car or an office chair, and different foods and sleep schedule.
Yeah, and halving daily step averages for a week and a half seems to correlate strongly to NEAT levels. It is weird how much it effects your overall well being. Fabio's article a while back about this was kind of what got me moving more and using my step count as an indicator of it.

Last edited:
Exercise in general does little for weight loss
I’d put daily step count in the “non exercise activity” category. NEAT is very correlated with bodyweight.

You have to remember that the vast majority of “O” in CICO is made up of non exercise activity.

Last edited:
I’d put daily step count in the “non exercise activity” category. NEAT is very correlated with bodyweight.

NEAT

I am familiar with NEAT and that it has an effects on body weight and health.

You have to remember that the vast majority of “O” in CICO is made up of non exercise activity.

The Math Doesn't Add Up

If the 6 pound of weight gained was body fat, that would take a calorie surplus of around 21.000 calories (1 lb of fat = 3500 calorie X 6 lbs).

halving daily step averages for a week and a half seems to correlate strongly to NEAT levels.

6 lb Gain In Week and A Half

Based you posted information, it appears (hard to tell) that the weight gain occured in a week and a half (about 12 days). That averages out to be a weight gain of approximately half a pound a day.

That would mean you were burning 1750 fewer calories a day since you cut back on your steps!

Buring 1750 calories a day isn't likely. Something is wrong with this picture.

Water Weight Gain

This is a more reasonable explaination, as I mentioned in my previous post...

4) A dramatic increase in body weight is often due to a dramatic increase in carbohydrates which produce an increase in water weight.

Don Fairbanks also stated...

Water weight.

NEAT

The Math Doesn't Add Up

If the 6 pound of weight gained was body fat, that would take a calorie surplus of around 21.000 calories (1 lb of fat = 3500 calorie X 6 lbs).

6 lb Gain In Week and A Half

Based you posted information, it appears (hard to tell) that the weight gain occured in a week and a half (about 12 days). That averages out to be a weight gain of approximately half a pound a day.

That would mean you were burning 1750 fewer calories a day since you cut back on your steps!

Buring 1750 calories a day isn't likely. Something is wrong with this picture.

Water Weight Gain

This is a more reasonable explaination, as I mentioned in my previous post...

I had a client on a keto type program with a couple of low cal. ( 600 cal ) non consecutive days added in each week. She had a birthday. She likes Rueben sandwiches. Birthday dinner was 1/2 of a Rueben, glass of red, might have been a piece of choc. cake in there, I don't remember. I get a freak out email the next morning , all caps, I GAINED 5 POUNDS !! I email back, Relax, not possible, drink some water, go for a walk.

I had a client on a keto type program with a couple of low cal. ( 600 cal ) non consecutive days added in each week. She had a birthday. She likes Rueben sandwiches. Birthday dinner was 1/2 of a Rueben, glass of red, might have been a piece of choc. cake in there, I don't remember. I get a freak out email the next morning , all caps, I GAINED 5 POUNDS !! I email back, Relax, not possible, drink some water, go for a walk.
If I'm settled into keto and have a big carb weekend - not just a meal, but beer, pizza, hamburgers etc the whole weekend - I can easily put on 4kg (nearly 9 pounds). It will be gone by the next weekend, provided I go back into ketosis, so it's water weight but it's still a hell of a shock

Something is wrong with this picture.
Less so if you look at the details.

And I also stated that it was most likely partially due to water weight.

If someone has a regular weight fluctuation of 3-4lbs a week, doesn't drastically change their diet, but drastically reduces their daily activity levels, is it reasonable to expect them to gain 1-3 lbs in 12 days?

Yes.

The Math Doesn't Add Up

Water Weight Gain

This is a more reasonable explaination

Binary Thinking​

This isn't a binary problem and the idea of water weight or fat weight is an unreasonable hypothesis to test.

A more reasonable way of thinking about this is utilizing a range, as it is logically not a binary thing of fat or water weight.

So the question instead becomes, "In a period of 12 days time, is it plausible for someone to have a caloric excess of 3500-21000 calories from moving less?"

Or in daily terms, is 290-1700 caloric excess per day from moving half as much as usual plausable?

To test I'll walk through the math.

I am estimated to burn 124 calories per mile walking. I typically walk 6 miles a day. That is 744 calories from walking.
Halving my step count means 372 calories are burned from walking.

So for the above to be true 744-372 needs to fall within the 290-1700 range. Since 372 is within the range it would seem that fat gain via reduced walking is indeed likely in this scenario.

All participants in this study reported that they felt "surprised" at their weight gain at the end of the vacation. (n=1)
NEAT

With the logic above we have bridged the gap of "this is false because 100% of weight gain wasn't fat" to "What I know to be true about NEAT remains true because some of the weight gain was fat." So there is no longer a cognitive dissonance of two competing ideas that contradict each other. Since we know NEAT effects bodyweight, that activity burns calories, and weight gain is caused by excess calories, now all of that remains true with this model.

Caveats
I did not vacation in a metabolic ward. I also did not partake in any DEXA scans or other body fat measurements before or after this vacation.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom