all posts post new thread

Kettlebell High Frequency Program?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nate

Level 6 Valued Member
I love SF material because it cuts straight to effectiveness. I've mostly worked bodybuilding splits but realize that longevity (low 40s) requires a smarter approach... I'm looking for a high frequency program with hypertrophy as main goal. Mass Made Simple gives me too many days off to stay sane and I'm not sure of the effect of adding S&S or A+A conditioning on off days. Easy Strength would be another guess, but I've never grown from such low volume, and i wanted it to be KB dominant. One forum I read had Dan John mention changing daily volume to 15-25 (re: Can You G0). I also liked the idea of daily variety (re: Jeff Fish's NFL article). I could design my own program or bastardize an existing one, but I trust you guys more than myself so I thought I'd ask.... Any suggestions would be most appreciated! Thanks for all the great content!
Nate
Background: several years training, 6' 175#, single digit fat level, moderately strong, have full barbells, KBs 35s through 70s, etc.

...I think I may have found some specifics for my question in a 2016 forum comment by Dan John:
I was trying to find a KB only experiment I did from 2012/13. It was the 40 Days program with just KBs. Five Days a week of One Arm Press, Pull Ups, Swings, Goblet Squats and TGUs. I was rebuilding after a total hip replacement. I was also doing Tim Anderson's Pressing Reset (6 Point Rocks, Nods, Rolls, March in Place). I kept the Press and Goblet Squats in the 15-25 range, if memory serves but it seems right, Pull Ups at a total of ten (never miss!), Swings 75-250 per workout, and, at most, 5 + 5 in the TGU. (Or just a part of them on an easy day.

I have More Kettlebell Muscle but didn't think that could be high frequency. Even thought about S&S or A+A on off days but wasn't sure of interaction.

Charles Staley's EDT(Escalating Density Training) is over decade old but works for hypertrophy.

Hello,

@Nate
Did you consider the Bear training (in Power to the People). There's a variation of this program , BB oriented.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm struggling with what you do. The hobby addiction side of me wants variety and visible results. The wisdom side of me says to hit Simple goal, move to ROP, then Total tension or Return (as structured). But that's a minimalist approach that admittedly I'm not used to. I'm an advanced placement high school teacher and i tell the kids to trust me and follow my system, but it's hard to break that habit myself. But i recognize its what i SHOULD do before bear or edt, etc.... thanks for the input.

Hello,

@Nate
High frequency program is based on sub maximal efforts.

Then, S&S, Program Minimum, Naked Warrior, Anytime-Anywhere (from A. Salkin) are solid approaches.

Even "non BB"-oriented programs, such as S&S will provide a body composition improvement if done with full tension and if diet / nutrition is on the point as well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Return of the Kettlebell and Enter the Kettlebell both by Pavel might be interessting, too.

ETK gets my vote. The variety days will suit you and when the going gets tough, if it does for you, you can always scale it back and nod towards greater recovery whilst still sticking to the thing and keeping the goal the goal.

a high frequency program with hypertrophy as main goal

It might be worth pointing out that these two things are kind of at odds with each other. An ideal hypertrophy program delivers a blast of high volume/intensity stimulus, then backs off for a day or three to let you recover. In order to train every day, you have to reduce the intensity and volume to a sustainable level, which makes it less effective for hypertrophy. A mixed strength/hypertrophy program like ETK might be the best compromise, but it's still a compromise. You also could take a focused hypertrophy program (that will, by necessity, have quite a few days off), and have a plan for active recovery on you off days (more recovery than active). Walking, easy Original Strength work, naked TGUs, stretching, etc could be your "daily fix" on the days you don't train hard, assuming you could keep it relaxed and easy.

It might be worth pointing out that these two things are kind of at odds with each other. An ideal hypertrophy program delivers a blast of high volume/intensity stimulus, then backs off for a day or three to let you recover. In order to train every day, you have to reduce the intensity and volume to a sustainable level, which makes it less effective for hypertrophy. A mixed strength/hypertrophy program like ETK might be the best compromise, but it's still a compromise. You also could take a focused hypertrophy program (that will, by necessity, have quite a few days off), and have a plan for active recovery on you off days (more recovery than active). Walking, easy Original Strength work, naked TGUs, stretching, etc could be your "daily fix" on the days you don't train hard, assuming you could keep it relaxed and easy.

funny... I started writing a reply the other day, then got distracted and forgot to actually send the reply, to now come back and see you say exactly what I had typed (a bit more to the point than mine too) :D

I got stronger and bigger on PTTP done, on average, 5 days a week. I like the 2 x 5 protocol, but have been trying 5, 3, 2. If you want some added size do some higher rep bro work. I added correctives also because I was coming off a bit of a layoff.

I was an Easy Strength skeptical, but now I believe. I have proven to myself it works.

So my suggestion would split you routine into the following
Workout A: S&S (maybe loaded carries to)
Workout B: Squat, Press and Pull focused. for 2-5sets of 2-5 reps maybe once a week go lighter and for 8 reps. finish of with 80-150. 2 handed swings.
just rotate them from day to day. ie. monday S&S Tuesday Workout B, Wednesday S&S Thursday Workout B, Etc.
Take off days as needed
(i should note i'm not a professional. just opinionated)

I'm struggling with what you do. The hobby addiction side of me wants variety and visible results. The wisdom side of me says to hit Simple goal, move to ROP, then Total tension or Return (as structured). But that's a minimalist approach that admittedly I'm not used to. I'm an advanced placement high school teacher and i tell the kids to trust me and follow my system, but it's hard to break that habit myself. But i recognize its what i SHOULD do before bear or edt, etc.... thanks for the input.

work on owning simple, use S and S as a warmup/recharge then follow the rule of 10 for other movements

The problem with PTTP's Russian Bear, DeLorme's, Mass Made Simple, traditional BodyBuilding routines, etc. is that they are brutal and time consuming.

I know its not the same but this reference shares some similarities with easy strength, yes? Also looks like Christian Thibaudeaus program for natural lifters.
perhaps an answer for high frequency hypertrophy?
Reignite Progress with New Science

That program is indeed "light" in volume and load, similar to Easy Strength principles.

Some other interesting programs that are low volume, low intensity (total lb/kg), high frequency:
- Chad Waterbury's HFT (High Frequency Training)
- Bryan Haycocks's HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training), which has a free ebook on the interwebs.
- Christian Thibaudeau's 20 Minute Muscle Builder

Some supplemental hypertrophy programs:
- Chad Waterbury's PLP 60 day challenge (Pull Up, Lunge, Push-Up)
- Chad Waterbury's More Muscle in 10 Minutes a day (it can also work as the main program)

I think that Bryan Haycock's is the most interesting one, the summary:
Week 1-2: 2 X 15
Week 3-4: 2 X 10
Week 5-6: 2 X 5
Week 7-8; 2 X 5 or 2 X 5 - (accentuating the eccentric)
9 day Strategic Deconditioning (similar to a deload)

The loading works by establishing your 5RM, 10RM, 15RM. and calculating the load for each workout by going backwards and increasing it in each workout until the last day where you should be using the RM.

The main idea in the program is that you should create a stimulus, and then stop (like Thibaudeau does in his latest programs).
Doing more than 2 sets is not better, just more. So a waste of time, and even a negative regressor.

The Strategic Deconditioning is to resensitize the reaction to the training stimulus.

---

Disclaimer: The explanation is according to my interpretation of Haycock's writings.

As an analogy, the first beer you drank was quite strong, because sensitivity was high.
Haycock's concept involves keeping your sensitivity to stimulus high, so that your body's reaction stays high, and you require the least amount of stimulus (training volume and intensity).

A common occurrence among bodybuilders is that the workout stops being useful, so they increase volume, intensity, load...
So in the same analogy, these bodybuilders are like alcoholics who need much more alcohol to get the same high than someone who only drinks occasionally.

Of course, you want to get a regular surge of stimuli, otherwise you'd be untrained all the time and wouldn't have any progress either. That's why it's high frequency.

Unlike Thibaudeau's programs, this one emphasizes keeping sensitivity high.

P.S.: Alcohol was used in the analogy since it's perhaps the most common product that affects the psyche in any society.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom