all posts post new thread

Barbell High Frequency Volume Advice Needed

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
(for me) To break a plateau and the best way to avoid over training is to eat way more than I think I should eat. For me that basically means 100 gram protein shake at bedtime and a gigantic peanut butter sandwich. I try to eat 1000 calories before bed basically. Also, making sure to eat that much even on off days. If you can put yourself on track to gain one pound or more per week, you will not stall easily, perhaps not at all. This isn't reasonable forever of course. Unless you want to be really strong and chubby. :)

Sometimes I fantasize about having a personal chef who follows me around and force feeds me on request.

o break a plateau and the best way to avoid over training is to eat way more than I think I should eat.

Eating More and Gaining Weight

Gaining weight definitely works for increasing the weight you are lifting.

That is why they have weight classes in some sports.

Eating More To Avoid Overtraining

Gaining weight increased the weight you lift.

Eating more does not prevent overtraining. At some point, adaptation occurs with any program.
When adaptation occurs, progress stops.

The same occurs with calorie consumption for gaining weight. At some point your metabolic rate will adjust to your increased calorie intake and you stop gaining weight.

This has to do with The General Adaptation Syndrome.

basically means 100 gram protein shake at bedtime

More Doesn't Mean Better

Consuming 100 gram of protein at one time amount to using a sledgehammer to kill a fly when a fly swatter would work.

Your body isn't going to be able utilize that much protein.

The net effect is the protein provides an increase in calories, which lead to an increase in body weight.

At most, around 40 grams of quality protein is what you need at one time to promote Muscle Protein Synthesis, increase muscle mass.

Last edited:
(for me) To break a plateau and the best way to avoid over training is to eat way more than I think I should eat. For me that basically means 100 gram protein shake at bedtime and a gigantic peanut butter sandwich. I try to eat 1000 calories before bed basically. Also, making sure to eat that much even on off days. If you can put yourself on track to gain one pound or more per week, you will not stall easily, perhaps not at all. This isn't reasonable forever of course. Unless you want to be really strong and chubby. :)

This becomes really tricky when trying to make a particular bodyweight for a lifting competition.

I usually compete in the 109 kg class, and train heavier than that, but as I get older it's getting harder to drop the weight 6-8 weeks before competition.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom