all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed High Intensity HR Profile Comparison

• Thread starter Deleted member 5559
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 5559

Here is a comparison of a few HR profiles of individual sets recently. What do you notice about the profiles of different movements? It would appear some are better suited for things like A+A and HIRT than others. The rate of increase on some is steeper than others which I assume would have a higher rate of PCr depletion also. The rate of decline is slower on the cardio equipment because the recovery was at a zone 2 effort instead of rest.

Profiles.PNG

Interesting. I tend to think the rapid increase is due to a sympathetic nervous system response, though. The more your brain/body senses the need to do something heavy and important and intense, the quicker your HR will jump in response.

Do these all represent the same time span?

I have only a tinkerer's understanding of what's going on under the hood, but when I do jump rope HIIT I peg my max HR in about 8 seconds or less. It doesn't seem possible I'm depleting PCr that fast, that thoroughly (I literally cannot go much beyond 20 seconds total) without an external load.

With a heavier resistance load (60lb sandbag cleans and consecutive get ups) I have a tough time even getting my HR to 80-85% before I reach failure, and it takes about 60 seconds of the 90 second work period to even get it that high.

Nowhere near as quick as the comparatively zero resistance jump rope.

When doing jumping sandbag backsquats with a 70lb bag, my HR doesn't even hit 80% before failure (inability to reach the starting height) at about 12-15 seconds per 10 reps.

Personally I notice the biggest difference in endurance from doing the jump rope HIIT. The other stuff I consider more of a metcon and only include it as it keeps all my joints loose from doing too much higher tension work - it feels good. By itself it doesn't do as good a job of improving or maintaining "wind" and higher intensity recovery.

I tend to think the rapid increase is due to a sympathetic nervous system response, though. The more your brain/body senses the need to do something heavy and important and intense, the quicker your HR will jump in response.
Someone was telling me about seeing a strongman competition and they were wearing HR monitors. When they started the event (truck pull maybe), they went from resting HR to near max almost instantly.

How does one measure PCr depletion rate of their movements?

Edit: This article has some interesting thoughts. The Most Powerful Exercise

Last edited by a moderator:
There has to be a convergence of variables, I suspect O2 depletion is the single most important, but I really couldn't say without a lot more digging.

Isometric MVC even when held for more than 30 sec only generates a modest increase in HR according to the literature (I intend to test this next time I do my Iso. Either BP or HR must be going through the ceiling based on RPE). A sprint either on foot or on a bike tends to spike HR to > 100% max within 10-15 seconds in most people.

The few times I used a monitor during heavy resistance training at a modest cadence my HR never went above 160 even at fully exhausted.

A max effort sprint is going to burn through PCr as well as O2, while an exertion against a heavy weight will probably not burn as much blood oxygen compared to PCr. You'd think speed work would blow through PCr faster than resistance work where the type 1 fibers play a larger role in force production.

Tough to say, if you're burning PCr at a high rate you're also trying to turn over ATP with every other system as well, actual levels of ATP vary only slightly from fresh to wasted.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom