all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed High Intensity Interval Training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I really need to do some kind of aerobic training, and working my way into some of this might fit my busy schedule better than longer bouts of LISS.
LISS

While it provide some befinits, the return on the time invested isn't good.

As the aritle in post 1 stated...

"In related studies, participants did steady-state cardio – jogging or light cycling – for an hour per DAY and experienced about the same results...Seven hours per week versus one hour per week to get the same results?"

If you can obtain the same results with High Intensity Interval Training and even more that you would withan hour Long Steady State Exercise, why not perform HIIT?

If someone enjoys LISS that fine.

For someone like Larry training for a Marthon, LISS needs to be performed; The Law of Specificity.

Anyone have suggestions for doing HIIT indoors....?

Step Up On A Box

Perform Step Up on a box with one leg, then immediately perform it with the other leg.

Start off performing them with body weight.

If that becomes easy, hold Dumbbells in your hand or perform it with a Barbell on your back.

You also can perform Step Ups with a Band. Attached the Band to the mid part bottom of your foot; loop the Band around your neck.
I have a jumprope but would also need to spend some time practicing and acclimating to it.
That will work.

I might be able to access a gym for an assault bike or elliptical or something. Anyone have suggestions for doing HIIT indoors....? I have a jumprope but would also need to spend some time practicing and acclimating to it.
One of my favorite indoor ones is "Fobbits" Set a treadmill to an easy MAF pace. Jog for 2 minutes, hop off and do 60s of heavy bag strikes, get back on treadmill for 2 minutes, repeat for 20 minutes. (SF had an article that was similar called SF roadwork with some additional ideas).
Another one is sandbag carries and sprints aka Ghurka carries, does require about 50m of space:

Tabata front squats are another fun one as is the Armor Building Complex done HIIT style.

Thanks to those who replied to me; there are some great ideas there!

Honestly a rower sounds phenomenal; I need to investigate cost and space… I actually have a gym at my apartment complex. I’m just a little hesitant since half the time I want to use something there is already somebody using it…

Step Up On A Box

Perform Step Up on a box with one leg, then immediately perform it with the other leg.

If that becomes easy, hold Dumbbells in your hand or perform it with a Barbell on your back.
Indeed! Step-ups are an excellent tried and tested method that works equally well for High Intensity work and for Low Intensity Steady State work.
Low tech, inexpensive, highly variable, and highly effective.

Indeed! Step-ups are an excellent tried and tested method that works equally well for High Intensity work and for Low Intensity Steady State work.
Low tech, inexpensive, highly variable, and highly effective.
I like the simplicity behind step ups, but I wonder if they can be done as intensely and at high enough cadence for HIIT. I’m willing to give it a try though.

I like the simplicity behind step ups, but I wonder if they can be done as intensely and at high enough cadence for HIIT. I’m willing to give it a try though.
Maybe something like this. You could also alternate the steps without the elevation, fast cadence.

LISS

While it provide some befinits, the return on the time invested isn't good.

As the aritle in post 1 stated...

"In related studies, participants did steady-state cardio – jogging or light cycling – for an hour per DAY and experienced about the same results...Seven hours per week versus one hour per week to get the same results?"

If you can obtain the same results with High Intensity Interval Training and even more that you would withan hour Long Steady State Exercise, why not perform HIIT?

If someone enjoys LISS that fine.

For someone like Larry training for a Marthon, LISS needs to be performed; The Law of Specificity.

Step Up On A Box

You also can perform Step Ups with a Band. Attached the Band to the mid part bottom of your foot; loop the Band around your neck.

That will work.
Step-ups aren't good for hiit. I've done 30 min of continuous step-ups, which is a nice sessions but certainly doesn't get me gassed. Holding dumbbells or kb, your grip will give out before your legs and lungs do.
I've done sets of reverse lunges off a step though and that seemed to have me huffing a bit. I did use a 50lb kb tho but certainly not for 20 minutes. Just a few sets.

Hello,

I tend to agree with @ajs Step-ups are excellent for LISS. This is something I use from time to time with great success. However, I have trouble using them as a "HIT tool" (I prefer regular sprints or burpees as far as bodyweight goes for this protocol). Indeed, I do not feel my HR raising very high, for a HIT standard with step ups.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Heart Rate On HIIT

HIIT Training is about performing an exercise with as much Power and Speed as possible, like Sprints.

With HIIT, Heart Rate needs be pushed into the 85% plus range of an individual Maximum Heart Rate.

The Karvonen Formula provides a more accurate range of what percentage you are in. The calculator listed above will quickly provide you with that.

Step Ups

Steps Up when performed corretly, will blow your Heart Rate through the roof.

Tabata Protocol

The protocol, as you probably know. is to perform 20 second of High Intensity Work, followed by 10 second of rest.

Total Tababa HIIT Protocol Training Time is 4 minutes. That means the you end up with a total of 8 Sprint or 8 sets of some type of High Intensity Training.

My initial introduction to HIIT was in performing HIIT Tabata Protocol Step Ups with the following method.

1) Perform 8 Step with one leg. Then immediately preform another 8 repetions with the other leg.

The time to perform the Step Up with each leg was right at 20 seconds.

This method allows one leg to partially restore ATP so that I could produce more Power.

However, performing individual Step Up continued to place the workload on my cardiovasuclar system; driving my Heart Rate up and taxing my breathing.

2) Alternating Leg Step Ups

If you prefer. you can alternate Step Ups between legs. Perform a Step Up with the right leg, then the left until you have performed 8 Reps with each leg.

Body Weight Plyometric Split Split Box Jumps

Don's recommendation with this method will blow your Heart Rate though the roof.

2) Weighted Step Ups

Step Ups holding Dumbbells in your had or with a Bar on your back, increasese dramatically increased the Intensity.

One Leg Squat

Performing a Body Weight Step Up amount to performing a One Leg Squat.

If an individual weighs 200 lbs and perform a Bilateral Squat, the load is divided between both legs; each leg having to drive up 100 lbs.

In a Step Up, Unilateral Step Up Squat, the each leg need to drive up 200 lbs; doubling the workload.

Thus, if you decided to hold two 20 lbs Dumbbells in each hand in performing Step Ups, the loading would mean you are preforming a load of 240 lbs with each leg.

Summary

Tabata Protocol Step Up and Don's recommendation will elicit the same effect as Running Sprint, Bike Sprints, etc.

I would have to see someone doing Step up HIIT to wrap my head around it. Don’t know how you could get to 90% HR max in approx 20 seconds- you’d have to load it up, which to my understanding makes it something else. Like frog hops with a sandbag- it might flatten you but will it really trigger HIIT adaptive response? And if so, how deep into my resistance training reserves is it going to dig.

One thing I really appreciate about zero load jumprope HIIT, within 30 minutes or so of finishing I feel pretty refreshed. It doesn’t require a lot of recovery resources that I am physically aware of.

Step-ups aren't good for hiit. I've done 30 min of continuous step-ups, which is a nice sessions but certainly doesn't get me gassed. Holding dumbbells or kb, your grip will give out before your legs and lungs do.
I've done sets of reverse lunges off a step though and that seemed to have me huffing a bit. I did use a 50lb kb tho but certainly not for 20 minutes. Just a few sets.
Well… for one thing 30min continuous is not in the realm of HIIT.

Increase your cadence (some folks like @Harald Motz use a metronome)
Use a pack or weighted vest as opposed to carrying weights. a) it will eliminate grip issues if you have a weak grip; b) it allows you to swing your arms which will assist in upping the cadence, and allow you to really generate power into the movement.

I would have to see someone doing Step up HIIT to wrap my head around it. Don’t know how you could get to 90% HR max in approx 20 seconds- you’d have to load it up, which to my understanding makes it something else. Like frog hops with a sandbag- it might flatten you but will it really trigger HIIT adaptive response? And if so, how deep into my resistance training reserves is it going to dig.

One thing I really appreciate about zero load jumprope HIIT, within 30 minutes or so of finishing I feel pretty refreshed. It doesn’t require a lot of recovery resources that I am physically aware of.
Well… I’ve done it. It works. But it isn’t pretty. And whilst I’ve said earlier box steps work for it (HIIT) I’ll also say that it wouldn’t be my go-to tool of choice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom