all posts post new thread

Nutrition high protein needed for strength training ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kb02

Level 3 Valued Member
If you are training to be strong do you need as much supplementation and calories as you would if training purely for hypertrophy? Maybe a newbie question but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys

No science claimed here, but for me, strength training does mean I want more protein, but nothing near the numbers people cite. I find about 1 gram per kg of bodyweight is plenty for me.

-S-

here is another link of a study, a bit more in depth - there is a lot of info out there. Personally i havent found a need for an overwhelming amount of protein and try to keep it to roughly 1.5 grams per kg of bodyweight when training hard and about 1/2 that when on a light cycle of training. i train for functional strength, not competitive lifting nor competitive bodybuilding.

http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org/ArchivePDFS/ArchivePDFS-25.pdf

I've always loved meat, as long as I can remember. I consider it the most important part of my diet. I'd say that at least a gram a kg of bodyweight is the minimum I like, but more is better.

Lots of people cite 1 gr per _pound_ of bodyweight - I think that's excessive.

-S-

When various websites and other sources of information give out advice pertaining to protein per weight, it is important to make the distinction between weight as it is and lean muscle mass.

Due to a hereditary kidney condition, my protein has to be in the range of 50-60 grams per day (approx. .5g/kg bw) I have never had problems gaining in either strength or hypertrophy, although my gains come slower than the average bear.

I did a literature review on this topic in and the consensus was that anything over 2g of dietary protein/kg of bodyweight is unnecessary for strength training and muscle gains.

Hello,

After a strength training, is there an optimal moment to eat proteins ? (directly after / shortly after or whatever).

To gain strength and increase the loads I can carry or the difficulty of some bodyweight moves, I suppose I have to gain muscle mass (currently my weight is 60 - 61 kg). I read human body can not "absord" more than 30g of protein every 2 hours. So is it a good idea to eat some proteins every 2 hours ?

Do these gain are "sustainable" ?

It represents so many questions...:(

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have read that the optimal and most important time to ingest protein is in the first six hours after training. I'd suggest getting a shake right after since it's digested faster than meat.

Some people like to eat 30g every hour in the six hours, but some people prefer to have a single big meal. I prefer to split the protein between different meals and snacks.

The body can only absorb a certain amount of protein at a time and the 30g isn't probably far off the mark, but it is individual. It is also important to notice that mixed meals are digested more slowly so they have a bigger window. Mixed meals have other problems though.

The most important thing seems to be to get enough protein in a day, it is far more important than timing.

Hey,

Do you think it is possible to have an increase of muscle mass without any protein powder ? Only be eating more healthy (but with lots of proteins) food ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' , an increase of muscle mass without protein powder?
Yes, of course. How did they do before?

You can have a look at this thread, there are several answer about the subject of lean body mass increase: Can someone please explain muscle-building to me?

My strategy on the subject would stay the same. If you want an increase of muscle, give your body a signal (for instance big lifts with a minimum of intensity and volume), then provide the material.

I did it a while ago for better recovery, not mass increase, but the side effect was a LBM increase (and some fat too, but it was easy to lose afterward). And I never ever took any supplement.

When I was on a barbell program BLS I kept my protein to about 200g and I needed p powder to fill in the gaps in my diet. I struggled to get 200 through my diet, powder makes it easier. I built mass quickly this way, creatine was also popular then but I never liked it, felt bloated with it.. Protein powder is what it is a supplement..

For sure it is possible to gain muscle without whey powder.

Another question is whether the muscle gain is optimal that way.

I do, without question, recommend whey powder to everyone. It is efficient, ecologic and affordable.

Naturally, there are some people who it isn't a possibility for, for example vegans and people with milk protein allergy.

@pet', try to listen to the R'Della Training podcast with Georgie Fear. There is a Q&A session during the episode when Scott asks her the same question, and I think you'll appreciate the answer. I worked with Georgie's company for a year and have so much respect for her as a coach and as an intellectual. She has two Ph.D's in nutrition, she's an R.D., she's worked in medical settings, she has some really fancy sports-specific nutrition credential, and she worked as the nutritionist for Rutgers athletics for some time before going on to Precision Nutrition and eventually founding her own coaching company.

I always think about an episode Scott did with Pat Flynn. Pat kept saying, "all the science" (a very popular term now days) pointed to paleo. Scott asked Pat how he did his research, and Pat kind of hedged before saying, "I real a lot of blogs." Scott asked Georgie the same question, and she said she tries to read at least 20 studies and look for trends.

Try to find the episode. It's recent, and I think you'll appreciate how she handles the question.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom