all posts post new thread

Nutrition high protein needed for strength training ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Just listened to the podcast whilst out walking my mutt. The 2 protein related insights for me are:

1) eating more protein than you actually need causes no harm
2) shakes and protein supps offer no great advantage other than the convenience factor

2 steaks tonight then.......

Brian Shaw a champion strongman eats 6-7 pounds of meat a day. He is over 400lbs. An extreme case, but the role of a large protein intake in strength and recovery cannot be underestimated.

More is not better, but it usually is.

Last edited:
Extra protein is still extra energy, it may get turned into glucose, and it raises your insulin.

Here's the thing, excess protein also is considered a risk for kidney problems, gout and digestive distress. Yet are those risk factors significant in the strength training demographic? Clearly those who strength train have a greater need for protein than those that don't, so it is about how much and in Georgie Fear's opinion and based on current research and her clinical experience, protein excess does not cause any detrimental health outcomes. Any excess protein not used as protein is broken down and utilised as a source of glucose energy and will cause an insulin rise......in a healthy person, that is not a detrimental health issue, it's perfectly normal. It is in fact, healthy. Protein in and of itself causes an insulin response, some more than others. Milk protein, for one. However, if indulging in a heavy protein meal post training is that an issue? So you eat 200g of protein for an 'ideal', for you and occasionally munch out on a massive steak and double your protein intake......will that be advantageous for strength gain and recovery? Or will it lead to health issues down the road? Or expose you to a greater risk of ill health? We have to make that call, somehow, by relying on expert view, the experience of others and our own health status and risk aversion. If I get a kidney stone next week I'll need to swap my steak and eat my hat!

In nutrition even more than in training, we tend to over-think and complicate simple things.
Give your body a signal, then eat. Proteins are needed to build muscles. Get themin any form you want. I prefer a steak, as it much more enjoyable than a protein shake. But I suppose protein shake is an easy way to get a lot of proteins, so why not if it works for an individual.

Does excess protein cause kidney stone or any other trouble? I have not seen evidence of this, merely opinions on various blog. When someone tells me that my way of eating/training/anything is not healthy, I just answer what Mark Rippetoe often answers: "Show me your data". I am still waiting for someone to show me data...

Here's the thing, excess protein also is considered a risk for kidney problems, gout and digestive distress. Yet are those risk factors significant in the strength training demographic? Clearly those who strength train have a greater need for protein than those that don't, so it is about how much and in Georgie Fear's opinion and based on current research and her clinical experience, protein excess does not cause any detrimental health outcomes. Any excess protein not used as protein is broken down and utilised as a source of glucose energy and will cause an insulin rise......in a healthy person, that is not a detrimental health issue, it's perfectly normal. It is in fact, healthy. Protein in and of itself causes an insulin response, some more than others. Milk protein, for one. However, if indulging in a heavy protein meal post training is that an issue? So you eat 200g of protein for an 'ideal', for you and occasionally munch out on a massive steak and double your protein intake......will that be advantageous for strength gain and recovery? Or will it lead to health issues down the road? Or expose you to a greater risk of ill health? We have to make that call, somehow, by relying on expert view, the experience of others and our own health status and risk aversion. If I get a kidney stone next week I'll need to swap my steak and eat my hat!

I do not disagree with you. I wanted to make some things clear, as for example low-carb diets are very popular these days and excess protein may hamper their aspirations.

I do not believe in the kidney problems. I am a gout sufferer myself, and the worst offender for me is clearly beer. I normally take at least 200-300g of protein a day and do not suffer from gout.

But to be a bit more clear, I do not believe that excessive protein intake is in anyway helpful or beneficial. I do not believe it to harm the average individual either.

I wish science knew more about how much protein we need. I always wonder how much money I've wasted thinking that I need to get X amount of protein a day or else!

I've been tempted to only eat between 50-75 grams a day for a while and see if I lose any muscle or have bad recovery.

Hi,
My thinking is also same like yous. As a trainer I'll always recommend healthy food or diet full of protein and calories which helps you to gain a perfect amount of volume in your body. So put same attention in supplementation as you put on your fitness exercises. Thanks you.

Protein is very essential for your body energy. It will help you to gain your body muscles. How much protein you need it will totally depends on your workout program.

0.36 gm of protein you will have to consume per day for get strength in your body.

For doing Running, swimming and lifting or any other heavy weight exercises, you need more energy strength in your body with the help of eating extra nutrients protein diet.10 to 15 percent of calories we gain from protein and the remaining calories come from carbohydrates and fats. It wills makes your muscles and maintain your body mass.

Eating high quality of protein like fish, egg and meat within the gap of two hours after workout.

It’s very harmful to eat more protein. It will increase your blood sugar level.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom