all posts post new thread

Kettlebell High rep deadlifts as a swing replacement ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Opiaswing

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello all

I am currently sidelined from any kettlebell training due to rotator cuff teondonitis (supra spinatus)

Deadlifts give me no hassle at all whilst swings aggravate the tendon.

How would I fair doing high rep (moderate weight) deadlifts instead of swings for a month or so? How about deficit deadlifts from a raised platform?

How do the two compare in terms of strength and cardiovascular endurance?

I have noticed since doing solely low rep deadlifts with no swings my cardio has suffered.

Any input?

I wouldn't train stuff pulling on the shoulders either. I would also consider that if not doing swings is reducing your cardio there is a cardio deficiency that some old school jogging would help or a leg strength deficiency that some old school squatting could help. Start lunging for 400m per day and while it will hurt at first, you soon won't get winded taking the stairs for a few flights.

Heavy deadlifts and long, slow running are a match made in general fitness heaven.

If you want something more kettlebell-y, sprint intervals do some very similar things, and you are limited only by your imagination. Stairs might be a good idea this time of year.

I've heard good things about high rep step ups.

Only if you want to have your soul stolen..

Seriously though, if you can stand them, they work wonders.

High rep from my perspective starts at 1,000...

I’m curious..

What kind of wonders? And what are they specifically good for?

There is a stepper machine at my gym which is literally like a rolling staircase so this is definitely an option..

As a general update I tried higher rep deadlifts today; not a fan..

Dumbbell Romanian deadlifts however seemed to be great. I could really get a good hip pop and glute squeeze. Perhaps I’ll just work on repping those out for a month along with the stepper and physio exercises.

Thanks for all the recommendations from other posters too. Back squat actually aggrevates my shoulder quite a bit..

Generally I'm not for high rep deadlifts, like the power clean there needs to be good form in each rep. Not that there shouldn't be good form in all reps. Allow bad form in the deadlift and you may be looking for a good back surgeon.

Not to say that I haven't done them. Find a good balance between a weight that you can grip for 15 reps and completing the last rep in good form and 1 set of 15 reps 2 - 3 times per week isn't 20 rep squats but it's close.

If you are competent at snatches I would recommend A+A snatches with the good arm. If you aren't competent with snatches then substitute swings. You may be surprised at how much good you get out of just training the one arm while the other heals.

I agree with the others that some sort of aerobic training would be in store too.

Just a thought: How about standing jumps onto a plyo box or similar? You can eliminate any potential landing stress on the knees and ankles by stepping down from the box after each jump up rather than jumping down.

It could satisfy your need for explosive hip extension.

Back squat actually aggrevates my shoulder quite a bit..
Maybe front squat then. I did a lot front squatting while recovering from multiple shoulder surgeries. It wasn't intuitive considering the bar rests on the shoulders but I was grateful to receive that prescription from a coach and it didn't hurt my shoulders at all.

Sandbag loaded Good Mornings are another alternative. With the right weight you can hit a good pace if that's what you're after.

Broad jumps from A to B and back again.

Also lighter weight DL using resistance bands from bar to your feet allow a little more explosiveness. These are sometimes used in lieu of Oly lifts for power.

I’m curious..

What kind of wonders? And what are they specifically good for?

There is a stepper machine at my gym which is literally like a rolling staircase so this is definitely an option..

As a general update I tried higher rep deadlifts today; not a fan..

Dumbbell Romanian deadlifts however seemed to be great. I could really get a good hip pop and glute squeeze. Perhaps I’ll just work on repping those out for a month along with the stepper and physio exercises.

Thanks for all the recommendations from other posters too. Back squat actually aggrevates my shoulder quite a bit..
Find a box about 12" high, put on a 25lb pack and do 1,000 steps. Strap on a HRM; If you are looking for 'cardio' training, you will soon find out what they are good for...

For the record I am not a fan of Stairmaster type devices. They don't mimic actual climbing, as the stair is actually falling away from you.

Heavy deadlifts and long, slow running are a match made in general fitness heaven.

I agree. Heavy DL and walking ain’t bad, either.

To the OP: high-rep deadlifts require excellent form and the ability to the vigilant about when to stop. Look in either PTTP Professional or Beyond Bodybuilding for a high-rep DL routine done with very light weights by a very experienced lifter. If memory serves he used 20-25% 1RM. (Love a cite including page number if anyone has.)

-S-

Hello all

I am currently sidelined from any kettlebell training due to rotator cuff teondonitis (supra spinatus)

Deadlifts give me no hassle at all whilst swings aggravate the tendon.

How would I fair doing high rep (moderate weight) deadlifts instead of swings for a month or so? How about deficit deadlifts from a raised platform?

How do the two compare in terms of strength and cardiovascular endurance?

I have noticed since doing solely low rep deadlifts with no swings my cardio has suffered.

Any input?

Have you considered good mornings?

It has no pulling element, and the hip hinge pattern is closer to that of a KB swing than a DL.

(this is assuming you have access to a barbell)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom