all posts post new thread

Bodyweight High rep pushups & squats daily

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

To add grist to the mill, here are two videos of daily high reps:
This one might be a little extreme

This one more maybe more achievable

And this video related to the expectations

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Here's a recent Facebook post of Aleks Salkin about high reps:

"Do high rep exercises have any value?"

Okay, the other day I asked if anybody had anything they wanted to read more about here, and a dude named Martin Peters ...asked a great question - the one displayed above, in fact.

The answer is a resounding yes. They absolutely do, and I'm a big believer in doing some high-rep work from time to time for a variety of reasons.

First among them is connective-tissue strength. Higher rep anything, particularly for a not-so-challenging exercise such as elevated pushups or bodyweight squats - will work wonders for strengthening your connective tissues.

This is crucial, because your muscles can gain strength far faster than your tendons, ligaments, fascia, etc. and you don't want the ties that bind you together struggling to keep their strength while your muscles go ahead full bore.

I'm far from alone in this approach - I've read that both powerlifting legend Marty Gallagher and glute-training fanatic Bret Contreras have their clients do high-rep squats to the tune of 50+ before using any weight, and this is partially to ensure the connective tissues are ready.

In Beyond Bodybuilding (Check out the full book here: http://bit.ly/WsxCS8), Pavel gives an example of an old-time program that iron rats of the past have used: 3x30 bodyweight squats or 1-2x100 bodyweight squats post-iron practice, specifically for strengthening the ligaments. It's not too stressful, easy to recover from, and pays out in spades in the long run.

There are a variety of other benefits (increased work capacity, mental and physical toughness, hypertrophy, etc.) but from a standpoint of health and balanced development, high rep work intelligently mixed with low rep heavy strength training is a rock-solid combo that will do you some good.

"So how do I get started?"

First of all, go light. Lighter than your ego would normally allow. Here's a sample post-workout high-rep finisher to help boost your soft tissue strength and help you break a nice sweat:

A1) Full bodyweight squats: 30 reps
A2) Pushups (hands elevated if need be): 30 reps
A3) Bodyweight rows (from a high surface): 30 reps
A3) Hip bridge: 30 reps

Repeat x 2-3 and call it a day.

Give this a shot for a few workouts and let me know how you like it.

In the meantime, have fun and happy training!

Aleks"

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, I noticed Aleks' post, too. It is excellent! The presctibed routine is simple and straight to the point!

Hello,

Yes, this is a good point with Salkin. He is always very realistic and straightforward.

I currently use this kind of high reps. This can be pretty brutal at the beginning but gives a huge strength-endurance. If done 3 times a week (not more if some other training is done simultaneously, to be sure avoiding overtraining), it works well on cardio.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

After a while doing this kind of "high reps" training, some notes:
- the body get used to it pretty quickly (both muscle and CNS adaptation), above all if we go for 3 days a week schedule
- on a daily basis, volume is less important, but body adaptation is still extremely fast because you do not go to failure, and then you rest.

Therefore, to keep progressing using this kind of training - because sooner or later, a plateau will be reached - different strategies can be considered:
- for some sessions, voluntarily cutting sets / reps to recover a little, and then trying to max out
- switching to other move variations
- gaining / losing weight (gaining weight is a slow process, so you are likely to become stronger an breaking PRs) (losing weight, if fat is lost, will improve the muscle mass / total mass ratio so there will be less "useless" mass to lift)

Kind regards,

Pet'

First among them is connective-tissue strength. Higher rep anything, particularly for a not-so-challenging exercise such as elevated pushups or bodyweight squats - will work wonders for strengtheni

This is exactly why I do them, and it does work. I've done them two ways: in a separate SJ session or after "the heavy iron", as Pavel would say. For me, the 1x100-200 is the ticket. 3x30 is a build up scheme.

It is clear that there is a benefit of tendon and ligament strengthening from higher volume. Isometrics are underrated and have been part of kung fu training for ever. However, if your work environment permits it, I think GTG every hour on the hour or half-hour would be the best option that would not affect your other training. Like S&S, I would see it as supplementary. Extremely high reps long term can start hurting your elbows, wrists, etc. so I think there should be a balance. I suggest hindu squats for those who have some ankle mobility issues and no knee problems. In short, I think medium bodyweight volume that does not interfere with your other training may be optimal. And either one set to failure or time like Max Shank or GTG rather than straight sets. Hershel Walker's approach obviously worked for him, but I just can't help thinking how incredibily inefficient it is. He doesn't appear to use much progressive calisthetics. Progression is one of the most basic principles of exercise science. A base volume and then convict conditioning practice may be a better approach. Pavel's work has shown that moderate volume but on a near daily basis is not a waste of time.

Hello,

To a certain extent, I think that poison is in the dose. Everyone has to find the right spot, the right "minimum effective dose".

S. Maxwell talks about changing the move frequently, even from a day to another, to protect joints. For instance, one day standard squats, the day after, Hindu squats, etc...

Using everyday day the same pattern, with almost no variation, and using extremely high volume create some kind of specificity. Then, as you progress, you have to increase the dose to get the same amount of work. However, if you change from time to time, your body has to adapt and learn. Related to the movement patterns, S. Sonnon talks about the "use it or lose it principle".

S&S may be an exception because volume remain relatively moderate.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' I second your thoughts on varying the moves.

But in a way I think that plateauing can be welcome with this kind of training. Pushups and squats then become some like skipping rope, taking a light jog or circling joints - something that keeps you fresh, nourishes your soft tissues and that maintains basic fitness without wearing you out. More prehab and active recovery than strength or endurance training. Something that you can add to your low rep strength training without interfering with it.

Hello,

@Bauer
Exactly. When you reach a certain plateau, you may have two options:
- find another way to keep progressing
- simply maintain your level, as a "ritual" routine

In the first case, it forces you to pushing your limits a little to get out of the "comfort zone". In the second case, as you said, you stay fresh and ensure proper recovery. This mainly is a matter of goal.

Usually, as far as high reps are concerned, I really enjoy switching "by feel" between Hindu squats and standard squats. Related to push ups, mainly feet / hands elevated on different supports (ring, pull up bar, etc...). Changing the versions keep me interested in what I do, and forces my CNS and body to adapt. The more skills we learn, the more skills we are able to learn.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' I second your thoughts on varying the moves.

But in a way I think that plateauing can be welcome with this kind of training. Pushups and squats then become some like skipping rope, taking a light jog or circling joints - something that keeps you fresh, nourishes your soft tissues and that maintains basic fitness without wearing you out. More prehab and active recovery than strength or endurance training. Something that you can add to your low rep strength training without interfering with it.

I echoe with you!
For example: my main concern is OAP and I work with low reps (below 5, rather 1-2). However I finish every session with 2x25 pushups, 2x25 ring face pulls and 2x25 squats. It flushes the muscles/joints/cartilage with blood, leaves you feeling good and is just a "no brainer move"

I started doing the following the last days as a morning routine every day:
Do the number of your age in reps for pushups, bw hack squats (as describes by @Pavel Macek Antifragile and Strong Knees: The Russian Lion’s Kettlebell Hack Squat Tutorial) and band pull aparts (for rotators/scapular muscles). Since I am 26 I round it to 30 and it looks like this:

1a Pushup: 3x10
1b Bandpullaparts: 3x10
1c Hacksquats: 3x10

I do it back to back withput rest. It is not draining at all rather refreshing and perfect for a morning recharge.

Extremely high reps long term can start hurting your elbows, wrists, etc. so I think there should be a balance.
How many reps do you really need to build connective tissue? And how can you tell if it's your connective tissue that needs building?

Thinking of some other programs: One Gymnastics based program prescribes 5x15 for some of the earlier exercises to build work capacity and connective tissue. Even Convict Conditioning, which has a lot of talk about connective tissue, doesn't prescribe more than 50 reps for the very easiest exercises

How many reps do you really need to build connective tissue? And how can you tell if it's your connective tissue that needs building?

Thinking of some other programs: One Gymnastics based program prescribes 5x15 for some of the earlier exercises to build work capacity and connective tissue. Even Convict Conditioning, which has a lot of talk about connective tissue, doesn't prescribe more than 50 reps for the very easiest exercises

You have a good point about convict rep schemes being too low. I just bought it and I think the progressions are solid (except the bridge) but the programming volume does not make sense to me either.

Hello,

I think we can get the most out of Convict Conditioning by splitting the training. Otherwise, I could easily tend to overtraining.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Regarding the title of the thread, I started an "experience". I did absurd amount of push ups and squats, every day, for 4 months, using GTG. I slowly built up volume until reaching 1300 push ups and 700 squats. I used the standard push up version, and the standard squat version. I just trusted the volume. I did ab training as well (mainly sit ups, leg raises)

On a GTG base, this permits to maintain the "main routine" one has. This is very comfortable because as always, we stay perfectly fresh. I never was tired or sore, and I never got any kind of pain.

In terms of results, it was pretty impressive:
> Wihtout working on them, I got the 36kg bent-press and 36kg GU. Then, I modified my "main routine" to dial technique with some reps, but kept doing a lot of GTG. A few days ago, I got the 40kg for both moves. I already got these figures...long time ago. However, it was just 1 rep each side, and was a bit wobbling. Here, this is far more solid.
> In terms of weight, I am heavier. I gained about 2kg of muscle mass (bdw of 64,7 kg , %bdf of 9.6, 1.85m). I got some more visible abs and a stronger back / core.
> It also maintained a very acceptable swing and a good endurance and conditioning.
> It does not really take time. Now, I do sets of 100 for both squats and push ups. The combination of the 2 lasts a few minutes because I use a "normal pace". Plus this is doable anywhere anytime.

So, even if I perfectly admit that high reps are not optimal to increase maximal strength, comparing to the standard 1-5 reps for instance, I can say that it works - at least for my body. I always responded pretty well to high volume with easy variations.

Now, I'll modify the GTG. I'll alternate "low reps" (OAOL PU / pistol) and "high reps" (standard squat / push up). That way, I plan to work on "pure strength" and "strength-endurance".

There are plenty of other strategies: slow reps, maximal reps - X, etc... Pretty sure they all work to a certain extent. Nonetheless, I wanted to share with you my results with the strategy detailed in the article. Maybe this can be interesting for people - like me - who are more naturally endurance oriented.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Regarding the title of the thread, I started an "experience". I did absurd amount of push ups and squats, every day, for 4 months, using GTG. I slowly built up volume until reaching 1300 push ups and 700 squats. I used the standard push up version, and the standard squat version. I just trusted the volume. I did ab training as well (mainly sit ups, leg raises)

On a GTG base, this permits to maintain the "main routine" one has. This is very comfortable because as always, we stay perfectly fresh. I never was tired or sore, and I never got any kind of pain.

In terms of results, it was pretty impressive:
> Wihtout working on them, I got the 36kg bent-press and 36kg GU. Then, I modified my "main routine" to dial technique with some reps, but kept doing a lot of GTG. A few days ago, I got the 40kg for both moves. I already got these figures...long time ago. However, it was just 1 rep each side, and was a bit wobbling. Here, this is far more solid.
> In terms of weight, I am heavier. I gained about 2kg of muscle mass (bdw of 64,7 kg , %bdf of 9.6, 1.85m). I got some more visible abs and a stronger back / core.
> It also maintained a very acceptable swing and a good endurance and conditioning.
> It does not really take time. Now, I do sets of 100 for both squats and push ups. The combination of the 2 lasts a few minutes because I use a "normal pace". Plus this is doable anywhere anytime.

So, even if I perfectly admit that high reps are not optimal to increase maximal strength, comparing to the standard 1-5 reps for instance, I can say that it works - at least for my body. I always responded pretty well to high volume with easy variations.

Now, I'll modify the GTG. I'll alternate "low reps" (OAOL PU / pistol) and "high reps" (standard squat / push up). That way, I plan to work on "pure strength" and "strength-endurance".

There are plenty of other strategies: slow reps, maximal reps - X, etc... Pretty sure they all work to a certain extent. Nonetheless, I wanted to share with you my results with the strategy detailed in the article. Maybe this can be interesting for people - like me - who are more naturally endurance oriented.

Kind regards,

Pet'
WAUW !!! So inspiring to read. I'll start today with GTG-High Volume

Thanks for sharing
/M

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom