all posts post new thread

Bodyweight High rep pushups & squats daily

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

I think there is an important carryover between the two "strategies" (high rep / low rep). The high reps of course can give some strength, but they also give plenty of strength-endurance, which is good to tackle some low rep variation, such as OAP. Those ones are - IMO - better to work on maximal strength. I guess we can reap the benefits of both worlds by practicing the two.

As you mentioned, I noticed some progress regarding S&S doing high reps push ups and squats. It also greatly helped me with Bent Press.

I gained some mass doing high reps as well. It is mainly visible for legs and shoulders / pecs / arms. Abs as well, but not that much. Assuming diet would not change, I think it could work - meaning getting some belly definition - if I'd increase ab reps. Currently, I switch between Dragon flags, cable row (using thick rubber band), sit ups, leg raises. Considering the high rep versions (sit ups, LR), I do 500 of them. Maybe it would work with 1000 but I admit I never tried. All the folks I know who use this principle of "high reps" + slight caloric surplus gained / have been gaining a lot of muscle, almost no fat, and are far stronger and bigger.

Pet'

On the back of this thread I've started to incorporate daily high rep push ups, pull ups and squats after my bent and sinisters practise . I've done this for 3 days straight and feel ok. My high rep is very low rep when compared with the numbers mentioned, but I'm doing 25 push ups and horizontal pull ups and 50 squats. The squats I do straight off, the push ups and pulls I do in 2 sets. My aim is to get to 25 straight in both then add 2 each day till I get to 50 straight in total then reassess, for squats I'll start adding 10 till I get to 100 straight . Hopefully this will not negatively impact bent and sinister.

Hello,

I think there is an important carryover between the two "strategies" (high rep / low rep). The high reps of course can give some strength, but they also give plenty of strength-endurance, which is good to tackle some low rep variation, such as OAP. Those ones are - IMO - better to work on maximal strength. I guess we can reap the benefits of both worlds by practicing the two.

As you mentioned, I noticed some progress regarding S&S doing high reps push ups and squats. It also greatly helped me with Bent Press.

I gained some mass doing high reps as well. It is mainly visible for legs and shoulders / pecs / arms. Abs as well, but not that much. Assuming diet would not change, I think it could work - meaning getting some belly definition - if I'd increase ab reps. Currently, I switch between Dragon flags, cable row (using thick rubber band), sit ups, leg raises. Considering the high rep versions (sit ups, LR), I do 500 of them. Maybe it would work with 1000 but I admit I never tried. All the folks I know who use this principle of "high reps" + slight caloric surplus gained / have been gaining a lot of muscle, almost no fat, and are far stronger and bigger.

Pet'
I am entertaining the idea, of putting my S&S and OAOLPU progression on hold, and work towards 100 regular push ups, bodyweight squats and sit ups. I have a suspicion that I need to start lower than where I am in S&S and OAOLPU, or something simpler and build more for endurance. I do not have any concrete evidence or well thought out argument, but I think, that while my force production keeps progression in swings, TGU and OAOLPU, it isn't "anchored"*. Started at 1x20 of each today, how do people progress towards high rep schemes? Do they add a set each week, a rep each day or something else?

*It's like I am putting too powerfull an engine in too small a car or something similar. I do not own a car, and know nothing about them, but it's the best metaphor I could come up with.

Last edited:
Hello,

Started at 1x20 of each today, how do people progress towards high rep schemes? Do they add a set each week, a rep each day or something else?
At the beginning, I set a daily goal. Then, I managed to get it, no matter the number of sets / reps. This was a pretty simple (and feeling based) approach. I tackled the sets when I felt fresh. Sometimes, I did sets of 10, sometimes, 20. There were no "rule"

Then, when the daily goal was really easy to get, I added reps (50 reps more). And I used the same logic to get it. And so on. I did not want to put maths in this. The most important is to create a "discipline", an habit.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

At the beginning, I set a daily goal. Then, I managed to get it, no matter the number of sets / reps. This was a pretty simple (and feeling based) approach. I tackled the sets when I felt fresh. Sometimes, I did sets of 10, sometimes, 20. There were no "rule"

Then, when the daily goal was really easy to get, I added reps (50 reps more). And I used the same logic to get it. And so on. I did not want to put maths in this. The most important is to create a "discipline", an habit.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Allright, thanks.

Hello,

@somanaut
You are welcome.

Regarding S&S, high reps training really helped me to get a stronger get up. Without especially working for it, it gave me the 40kg GU for reps. Before, it was some kind of 1RM. The most important thing is to really stay fresh. Indeed, assuming diet is on the point (possibly, you can be hungry a little more because this is an additional energy expenditure), recovery is not supposed to be a problem if you listen to your body.

I gained some maximal strength, but also a better strength-endurance. I noticed it above all at the end of the get up because shoulder is far more stable.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I love this thread! (y)

I did complete Simple standard few weeks ago and I´ve decided, since I recently became a father that I will continue S&S. But I want to sprinkle with push-ups. I love challenges so I´ve decided to go for @mprevost USNA push-up program and try to chase down 100 reps along with my S&S.

As for now I can usually crank out 3 sessions a week. I rather do the push-ups on S&S days. Scaling back the Get-ups from 32kg to 24kg in favor for the push-ups. My question would be; where would you put the push-ups? prior to S&S or after? Or anyway else?

Edit: Damn, or should I just go with RoP?! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

@somanaut
You are welcome.

Regarding S&S, high reps training really helped me to get a stronger get up. Without especially working for it, it gave me the 40kg GU for reps. Before, it was some kind of 1RM. The most important thing is to really stay fresh. Indeed, assuming diet is on the point (possibly, you can be hungry a little more because this is an additional energy expenditure), recovery is not supposed to be a problem if you listen to your body.

I gained some maximal strength, but also a better strength-endurance. I noticed it above all at the end of the get up because shoulder is far more stable.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Interesting. It's that kind of transfer in "capacity", that I am looking for.
I just noticed, that early bird discount for the SFB in december is 18th of august, so now I have a timeframe for this years practise of must do vs. nice to do. I have until the 18th of august to achieve a straight OAOLPU for singles. Would like to be able to do sets of 5 before the cert.
I am unsure if I should switch between OAOLPU progression and the high reps as talked about here, or only do high reps. Will work up to 100 reps and decide.

Thank you for sharing this resource! I'm seriously thinking about giving this a go. Do you think maxing each workout would be too intense and cause burnout? It is only the last set though, and done three times per week.

You are quite welcome. By the 4th set, it is a max effort, but my number is significantly less than a true max set. The 60 sec rest period sneaks up on you at first, so don't expect to fly through the tables. YMMV, of course.

Hello,

Regarding the daily push ups, or even any other move, we can also consider the time-frame: the same volume (let's say 300 push ups) done in 10h, is not the same than doing 300 push ups in only 1h:

So it can be interesting to do the same volume in a restricted amount of time. This uses the ratio TUT / Rest.

Besides, here are some strategy, by D. Kavadlo
Small Space, Little Time—Big Gains, Big Time | DD

Kind regards,

Pet'

Something I started the 1st of the year was to set aside time each morning for squats and pushups. I started with 1 minute of push ups and 2 of squats and added 30 seconds a week. I’m at 3/5 now of each. I do this each morning. I don’t count reps and go rest pause. I love until I’m just short of failure, take 10-15 breaths and continue. This has helped a ton in endurance, composition and size without taking away from anything els I will do the rest of the day as I don’t bench or squat really at all. I got this off T-Nation, I’ll try and post a link.

Something I started the 1st of the year was to set aside time each morning for squats and pushups. I started with 1 minute of push ups and 2 of squats and added 30 seconds a week. I’m at 3/5 now of each. I do this each morning. I don’t count reps and go rest pause. I love until I’m just short of failure, take 10-15 breaths and continue. This has helped a ton in endurance, composition and size without taking away from anything els I will do the rest of the day as I don’t bench or squat really at all. I got this off T-Nation, I’ll try and post a link.

This is pretty cool! I wonder if it would work in "reverse". Setting an end time limit goal i.e. ten minutes and doing rest pause reps. As your fitness increases you naturally add more reps within the same time frame. Sort of a mix of your method and increasing density method.

Hello,

@D-Rock
This is called "density training". If you do more moves in the same time frame, it means you lifted more...so you got stronger ! I really like this strategy. That works pretty well to do "the same but different".

I really like it when I want to perfectly control the duration of a training: x minutes of squats, push ups, etc... Plus, it forces to reduce the rest and create some "mental toughness": it gives some motivation to do better from a session to another.

I noticed that I tend to accelerate the pace to hit more reps. Working on a pure "strength, strength endurance and conditioning" using this protocol require discipline to do the reps on a normal pace.

Anyway, like it !

Currently, I am trying another protocol: 3-4 sets a day only, close to failure, with very controlled move in full ROM (chest to the ground / elbow lock for the push ups, "a#@-to-grass" for the squats)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom