all posts post new thread

Barbell High reps are good for beginners?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
If ever you have any references for this info I'd be glad if you could share some sources. I've had a lot of tendon issues (still have) and really would love to work them out so to speak. Thanks.

"They got stronger, their musculature improved, and their tendons grew more elastic, but they failed to improve tendon stiffness, increase tendon elastic storage capacity, or stem the age-related decline in tendon hysteresis. The resistance used and speed employed simply weren’t high enough to really target the connective tissue."

There are plenty more but I'm on mobile right now.

"They got stronger, their musculature improved, and their tendons grew more elastic, but they failed to improve tendon stiffness, increase tendon elastic storage capacity, or stem the age-related decline in tendon hysteresis. The resistance used and speed employed simply weren’t high enough to really target the connective tissue."

There are plenty more but I'm on mobile right now.
Thanks a lot, I'll go through all this in the coming days. Very much appreciated.

Anecdotally I've used max voluntary contraction overcoming isometrics to train around injuries and to help with healing.

You can almost always find some joint angle that avoids aggravating an injury, and training near it seems to help quite a bit.
Ah I remember watching a video of yours for elbow issues if I remember correctly, you worked a lot of different angles with a strap or something. I found it very interesting. I should go back to check out your stuff. Not sure how I'd apply that to my medial knee tendon issues but still.

Ah I remember watching a video of yours for elbow issues if I remember correctly, you worked a lot of different angles with a strap or something. I found it very interesting. I should go back to check out your stuff. Not sure how I'd apply that to my medial knee tendon issues but still.

If you can get an angle that allows to generate a max effort without causing a lot of pain you're 80% there.

Also (and I'm going on the literature with this more than personal experience) working any muscle at longer length - somewhat stretched will improve strength through almost the full ROM. The smaller the joint angle to begin, the less tension is capable of being generated.

This sometimes feels like you're not generating as much force, but that's mostly due to lack of mechanical leverage, not lack of tension in the muscle itself.

Give it a try! I was able to not only work around a seriously jacked-up knee but when I finisshed an 8 week run of 100% iso all my joints felt great. I also followed it with 4 weeks of involuntary detraining with maybe one resistance session/week, and maintained really good mass and definition...maybe there is something to sarcoplasmic hypertrophy after all, but if so it is likely tied to tendon morphology more than any elusive changes in contractile %.

Last edited:
I like both. For example: deadlift was done with low reps (<=5), but hip hinge after/before that is done with high reps (up to 20).
In general, StrongFirst recommends 5's for grinds and 10's for ballistics.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom