all posts post new thread

Old Forum High reps training for explosive power question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Brad Bowden

Level 1 Valued Member
Okay I've learned to build strength low rep/heavy weights are best. To build explosive power an athlete needs to add rapid execution and low resistance. My question is where is the ideal limit on reps to build explosiveness without gaining useless bulk?

What is best format for developing strength and explosive power during the same time span?

Olympic lifters do an awfully good job of building both strength and explosive power at the same time...

Not exactly high rep...

Jason, I'm not advocating using high reps. Im asking two questions, what is the most reps you can do without the negative effects of high reps? Then I asked best format for developing strength and explosive power.

Jason, I'm not advocating using high reps. Im asking two questions, what is the most reps you can do without the negative effects of high reps? Then I asked best format for developing strength and explosive power.

I suppose a better way for me to ask my question is are there factors that eliminate some of thenegative effects of high reps, such as weight and/or fatigue levels. For example, does doing 15/20 swings or kettlebell snatches help power while not building "false muscle"?

for speed and power the ideal weight i believe is 30%ish  of your 1RM with similar reps and set for strength training and long rests

so  3 to 5 sets of 1 to 3 reps, moving as quickly as possible, up to 5 mins rest.

Thanks Stephen. Follow up question, in the enter the kettlebell workbook I noticed higher reps on the swings. Is this for conditioning?

Hello Brad,

You typically want to use low reps for explosive power. Methods will differ, but many coaches follow the guideline that when rep speed (or distance, or whatever it is you're measuring) slows down, then you're done with the set.

Also recognize that some have found differences in the ideal percentage of 1RM to work with depending on the exercise. If I remember correctly, in his book, Louie Simmons mentions that the percentage on dynamic effort day will not be the same on the squat as on the bench. FWIW, Westside works way higher than 30%.

I think you can not put kettlebell ballistics in the same category, which is why the reps can go higher. The nature of the ballistic lifts are too different. But that's just speculation from my side.

You will find that high rep movements with low resistance (i.e., kettlebell snatches and jerks) won't build a lot of bulk, useless or otherwise.  The muscle does contract hard enough, or spend enough time under tension, to induce much hypertrophy.  You get stronger and more explosive, and much better conditioned, but don't put on much mass. 

These guys specialize in high rep explosive lifting.  Very little useless mass here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY5da7E0qDE

I appreciate y'all taking time to answer my questions. I'm new to all of this and very excited about the possibilities, both personally and professionally. I've already started ETK personally and will be implementing it with my players soon with easy strength program and kettlebells. Your help is greatly appreciated and very helpful.

Brad, what are you trying to accomplish?

In submaximal ballistic exercises power typically falls off after 10 reps.

Ultimately, I am trying to build better football players. Therefore, I am attempting to organize a workout program for my athletes to build raw strength and explosive power. However there are some different needs from skill position like a receiver as lineman.  Plus I also need to factor in differences in our approach with our younger kids (12/13 years old) versus our older kids (17/18).

Any advice or help will be great appreciated.

Focus on good movement patterns for your young kids.  Goblet Squat, KB Swing, Rowing (I use anchored bands) Press, Plank.  Easy Strength is a great resource for a list of basic skills.  If a kid learns to perform those basic movements and practices for a year or two they will be well on their way to being very strong later.

If your older kids move well (most don't) build strength first.  Loaded carries including sled dragging and sled pushing are economic and highly effective tools.

A large portion of HS kids probably won't need power development until after they graduate simply because they can keep getting stronger.  The exception would be those who are genetically gifted or have been taught to move and train at an early age.  I use the same tools already mentioned plus sprinting and med balls.

Other resources
-Dan John, website and T-nation articles
-John Welbourne, CrossFitFootball.com
-Zach Even Esh Underground Strength

Apologies, didn't notice you previously mentioned Easy Strength.  Sounds like you are off to a good start.  Good luck.

Thanks for the help. I've ordered easy strength. I look forward to implementing the strong first philosophy into our athletic program.

For football? American football, for clarity?

Useless bulk is a good thing. As we always say, I have seen people get slower during a game, but never smaller.

If it is that soccer thing, I can't help.

On my website, danjohn.net, I have a bunch of stuff on football. Basically, you need to do a lot of stuff...a lot.

Yes American football. And yes "useless bulk" can serve a purpose at times in the trenches. However as a high school coach you don't get to pick your cards but rather play the hand you're dealt. Typically, the obstacle I have to overcome is size. Therefore, I can try to remedy tbis one of two ways. Gain bulk or try to field quicker lineman. Since size was initial obstacle gaining bulk usually only lessens the gap but doesn't overcome it. However if I can take smaller lineman and get really strong while maintaining their speed, I have an advantage provided I can dictate the battles we face. I am all ears for any advice you can share. However I know this much, if your talent/athletic base is smaller than your opponents, you better be able to do something better or else something different.

Brad,
As power and explosive power is a combination of strength and speed, your athletes must be " strong first ". This is only for 17/18.
Prepubescent athletes should not engage in a strenght training with loads.
The progression to explosive power is :
- muscular endurance
- strenght
- maximal
- speed
- agility
All these sports specifics components must be developed before any kind of power training, for safety considerations, as numerous biomechanics factors and neural activation are insolves.
Methods of long- term power training include :
- heavy resistance training
- explosive light weight training
- maximal power training or ballistic training.
For sports specifics, the ballistic is the best today ( studies by Berger and Wilson et al), and the load is typically around 30 % 1 RM.
Plyometrics exercises are also used to enhance explosive power, but requirements
for this high impact and high intensity training must be strictly followed.
This is " the theory ", and the " good one ! ", now, not easy to write a periodize training program because every athletes has specificities.
You can find the guidelines for all the training listed above on " ACSM " guidelines.
I honestly don't know what is possible to do in matter of power for 12/13, I am not qualified for this age.
I think you were looking for a " magic formula ", quick and easy, impossible if you want to train safe and for long term.

- power
- explosive power.
-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom