all posts post new thread

Old Forum High reps training for explosive power question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
surely for kids that age bodyweight training, sprints etc would be the way to go, maybe using a partner drills eg carries, tug of war etc.

I might be missing the point here, being English, but for rugby it was pretty much all that until we were about 16, the schools did not have the facilties.

not saying kids should not be lifting but in large group. might be tricky for a single coach?

Disagree that pre-pubescent kids should not train with load.  Just remember that the weight of a stick might be considered load for a kid, as is bodyweight.   Good movement first, this may take months, then load.

If you are looking to placate skeptics, there are papers from the American Academy of Pediatrics, ACSM, NSCA etc.  I keep these three papers at arms reach for inquisitive parents.

Practical experience with kids from rural backgrounds (maybe others also) shows the same; they spend more time than other populations lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling etc. and get very strong with no ill-effects.

I never said they should not train with load just it might be tricky to monitor in large groups, we would often have 30 kids and one PE teacher.

Stephen, I'm from Texas. We don't skimp on high school football. Weight rooms are huge and my current staff includes 19 full time coaches.

Brian, there is nothing wrong I guess for kids to do Strenght training as long they are not doing spine loading exercises.
Bodyweight, stick, light dumbbells are possible under the supervision of a kid's instructors, I believe that kettlebells swing is also good, with a good technique and a very light kettlebells ? Now, depends of the kid. Only the Coach can take the decision in matter of training after screening and testing.
It is also good, for the 12/13 to do a postural and flexibility assessment, the best age to correct any imbalances or the beginning of a musculoskeletal disorders.
All the Athletic staff also, as this is what we used to do first at school in
Europe.
" kids from rural backgrounds " , may be, I don't know, they could be strong but not sure if it is the safest way to " stay " strong.

Medecines balls are very good to improve performance and power for sports specifics and could be used for kids as long as they are light.

And  Christine, I assure you I'm not looking for any quick or easy formula. However I am trying to improve our existing one. We have been guilty of working to and beyond exhausted. Didn't know any other way. We rarely go over 6 reps and hit squat and clean three times a week. However on addition to the weights, we were also doing speed and agility drills, all within one hour class period. Then lifting again after school. Kids get lot stronger but I can certainly recognize some staleness by the end of spring

And I also have to disagree with your opinion of young kids lifting. Grew up on a ranch and started working early. Have had kids in 7th grade lifting and haven't had any problems. Just have to be real watchful on form. And we are a little more careful on not grinding them down. Unlike the older kids who we  overtrain regularly. We thought the concept of overtraining was lazy mans excuse for not going when he was tired

Brad, I wrote, in matter of " kids lifting ", no loading spine exercises.
And for kids from " rural backgrounds ", because not enough qualified for kids,
wrote, not sure...
Not easy to know what you are looking for at reading your first post and thanks Pavel, everything was more precise.
Good to know you are doing speed and agility drills, you can increases the difficulties of theses drills with a weighted ball and drills are worked with a partner, but you could know that already.
I don't have any doubt on your goals with your team, I just try " to help ", if I can, so must begin by " the basics ".
I don't your qualifications, you are certainly a tactical coatch in American Football.
Despite a lot of posts in this forum against " sports studies ", today, thanks to the sports scientists, sports specifics training programs can be designed to enhance athletes performances, and this is the job of the " strength and conditioning coach".
I understand also that in high school, the tactical coach is also the S&C coach.
I don't grew up in a ranch but with 3 older brothers, so also did a lot of " unsafe " exercises, and I am also fine, luck ? Don't know...
Today, I am very focus on prevention and creation of a safer environment for participants in sports and physical activity.
But I am not always applying the same rules for my own training !!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom