all posts post new thread

Nutrition High Salt Intake Is Beneficial

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
The Salt Fix: Why Experts Got It Wrong

Below is some interesting information from an interview with Dr James Dinicolantonio (Pharmacist)

Before posting my Cliff Notes, let me touch on...

The Law of Unintended Consequences

Essentially, this means that when you do something wrong, it turns out right or when you do something right it turns out wrong.

Here is what I found out years ago by "Dumb Luck"...

Anecdotal Carbohydrate Loading For Strength

Years ago, I used the Kegogenic Diet to try and make a Powerlifting Weight Class. Since I was clueless about the Ketogenic Diet, it was more of a quazi-Ketogenic Diet.

With two and a half weeks to go before the meet, I was 8 pound over the weight the weight class that I wanted to be in or 8 pounds under that weight class I was in. My strength had really dropped for various reasons. The main reason was that I was I was clueless about the Ketogenic Diet and how to make it work.

I finally said screw it and Carb Loaded. I gained right at 8 pound of primarily water weight. I felt like crap but my strength jumped up.

What I now realize is that the Carb Load was more due to the increase in my salt...duh.

Essentially, I elicited the same Creatine Cell Voluminizing effect via Carbohydrate Loading.

Cell Voluminizing

One of the reason that Creatine works is Cell Voluminizing, a large gain in water weight. The Muscle Cell becomes "Superhydrated".

As we know, dehydration cause a decrease in performance. Cell Voluminizing has demonstrated that "Superhyperdation" creates an increase in performance.

With that said, I am a Creatine-Non Responder. However, my Carb Loading elicited the same effect

Car Tire Analogy

Think of your Muscle Cells as Car Tires. As we know, if your tire are under inflated, you Car Gas Mileage isn't going to be that good.

However, if your Car Tires are OVER Inflated, you're going to get great Car Gas Mileage. Unfortunately, over inflation of your car tires isn't good for the tires.

Now let look at Dinicolantonio's research on the Health Benefits of Increased Salt Intake...

High Salt Diets & Athletic Performance w/ Dr. James Dinicolantonio (Pharma D)

1) Sodium increases blood circulation

2) One of the primary causes of Overtraining is salt depletion; low hydration levels.

3) Decreasing sodium lowers blood pressure (approximately 1%!) because blood volume goes down. However, a decrease of blood volume produces an increase in resting heart rate, 10 -25%, which isn't good.

4) When sodium intake is below 3,000 mg/day, stress hormones increase; stiffening of arteries occurs, creating a worse effect.

5) Low Sodium Symptoms Increases Resting Heart Rate, Fatigue, Dizziness/light headed when standing up, Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS)

6) Low Sodium Intake: Insulin, Triglycerides, LDL, Body Fat increases; HDL decreases. Elevated BUN on blood lab.

7) Low Sodium intake is harder on the kidneys. The kidney work harder to reprocess salt for the body.

High Sodium intake is easier on the kidneys. Less work is involved for the kidneys when it is provide in a the diet rather than having to reprocess it.

8) Sugar and Low Sodium cause Insulin Resistance.

9) High Sodium increases Insulin Sensitivity.

10) Low Sodium may lead to higher Blood Pressure; higher Sodium may decrease Blood Pressure.

10) High Blood Pressure is primarily genetic and stress related.

11) Pre Workout Sodium intake elevates performance. Recommended Pre Workout Sodium Dosage: 1 Teaspoon for each hour of training.

12) High Sodium for Exercise:

a) Reduces Heart Rate

b) Regulates Body Temperature, cools you off.

c) Increases Blood Circulation

d) Increases "Cell Voluminizing"

13) High Caffeine (Coffee) depletes Sodium.

14) Low Sodium intake increased Sugar cravings.

15) Low Sodium and Exercise: Sodium is stripped from the bones, along with calcium and other minerals; causing osteopenia and/or osteoporosis.

16) Sodium increases the absorption of Calcium.

17) High Sodium intake reduces the risk of Kidney Stones.

18) If you consume Sodium and you legs swell up, your blood vessels are leaking into the interstitial fluid.

19) Sodium is he "Gateway" to Eating Healthy and Exercising.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom