all posts post new thread

Nutrition High Salt Intake Is Beneficial

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
water, water everywhere
but not a drop to drink

Damn poets and their poetry. Those ancient mariners circumnavigating the globe knocking back the salty water.....

A headline today (don't shoot the messenger).....

Health chief calls for drastic intervention to cut salt intake

I'm as old as those ancient mariners and actually read that in an actual newspaper whilst enjoying a cup of tea.
The ill informed head of public health England reckons too much salt is a bit of a problem. Does he need a telling? Has he checked the latest research?
He's calling for food companies to have more effective labelling warning punters on said food's salt content. Reckons it'll save 7,000 deaths a year.
The most common foods with oceans of salt: take aways inc Chinese food, deli meats, pizza, cheese, instant noodles, soy and savoury sauces, dips and pesto, crisps, tinned soup and pickles.
Not exactly a strongfirst breakfast, still, a nice array of many processed foods.
Probably things will be different if none or little of above mentioned salty, fatty, sugary bombs are eaten.

Anyway, it's public health England. As I live in Scotland, it doesn't apply, as pies aren't on that particular death list. Maybe it is just an English health issue, I don't know. Probably all those jellied eels, yuk.

The vast majority of sodium is consumed via refined foods and restaurant food. In both cases, food vendors know truckloads of salt moves product.

As I learned by cooking, the longer salt is in a food, the less effect - the less taste - it has. Hence the need for, e.g., even with home-cooked foods, to re-salt leftovers. I can only imagine that, with packaged foods, this becomes much worse, and they end up needing to put a ton of salt in them just so that they have _some_ flavor by the time they get eaten.

Many, perhaps most, dietary problems would be solved if people cooked for themselves.

-S-

As I learned by cooking, the longer salt is in a food, the less effect - the less taste - it has.
Never thought of that.. One thing I have noticed for years is I dump water (urine) on Tues like clockwork, during the week the diet is steady and clean, on weekends it may be 1 to 3 times eating out, so the extra sodium is what I credit this to.

Last edited:
As I learned by cooking, the longer salt is in a food, the less effect - the less taste - it has. Hence the need for, e.g., even with home-cooked foods, to re-salt leftovers. I can only imagine that, with packaged foods, this becomes much worse, and they end up needing to put a ton of salt in them just so that they have _some_ flavor by the time they get eaten.

Many, perhaps most, dietary problems would be solved if people cooked for themselves.

-S-

I never thought of that either but a solid observation. Home cooked foods you can tell immediately if they've been salted, many prepared foods taste weak and then you check the label and see they're loaded with sodium - how is this possible?!

Home cooking is the way to go.

I response to this thread I'm going to up my salt intake a little and see if it has any effect on my BP, headaches etc.

I believe I'm quite sensitive to sodium levels in my diet, but then I cut back on salt and am still in the pre-hypertensive range.

-S-
I used to think this way. It’s a good first step, but one can easily home cook the rich Western diet and reap its many detriments. It wasn’t until I home cooked the right foods that I found the energy to train consistently, participate in events, and generally feel good.

I used to think this way. It’s a good first step, but one can easily home cook the rich Western diet and reap its many detriments. It wasn’t until I home cooked the right foods that I found the energy to train consistently, participate in events, and generally feel good.
Does Mac-n-Cheese with tuna count? ROFL

No comment.

Generally, dorm cuisine is on the wrong track. Yet somehow, we survived.

It is true that salt added at the end has a much stronger taste. Right on the surface of food, right in touch with taste buds for salt. It’s why foods with salt on the surface, like potato chips, taste much saltier than other foods with salt buried in the processing, even with higher amounts. Chefs know this, and toss a little finishing salt on a dish before service.

I really miss pasta.. oh well.. and potato chips! Sometimes I'll have a few, today may be a good day for 2 double doubles with cheese from In-n-Out, think I feel the need for beef, of course I'll have to skip the chocolate shake.
Damn, I'm hungry now :D

The body regulates sodium loss very carefully. It can regulate it down to zero, if needed. Many traditional cultures never salted their food.

When sweating profusely and/or working in extreme temps I'll cramp afterwards without mineral salts, seems the salt loss in sweat is heavy at times..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom