all posts post new thread

Bodyweight High tension VS power - what’s first?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pawel Grobelny

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hi!
I decided to attend SFB certification with @Pavel Macek in Paris, in July this year. So my journey for OAOLPU has started! I am extremely excited about getting new skill!

I am following @Karen Smith 6-week program.
As Karen says - high tension exercises should be done on the beginning of training session
I recommend performing this program at the beginning of your training session while you are fresh and able to generate the tension required for proper form. Your body only has so much neural drive and once you deplete it, then your form will begin to fail.

But on the other hand - normally power exercises should go before strength ones.

So, taking the above into consideration during my session I should do power swings or OAPU?

What’s your experience about it?

I don't know how her program works, but she explains perfectly why doing high tension exercises in the beginning and makes total sense. So if you follow her program I suggest to stick to it. If it's different from how you usually train can be a mouth of fresh air for your sessions and that's always beneficial.
When I train my OAOLPU I only train that skill on that day. I keep swings and other exercises for a different day. I dedicate a whole session just for 1 skill. Also here tension is the main component, not power.
@Karen Smith knows her stuff !!!!

Last edited:
Hello,

For "optimal development", I think I would dedicate a goal to a session (power or strength, etc...)

If one wants to do everything in one session, "traditional" order would be: power, strength, hypertrophy, conditioning / finisher. This is at least what we read with Ross Edgley in "The art of resilience".

Kind regards,

Pet'

I find doing something hight-tension before swings helps me dial in my plank and my general stiffness (in the good, useful sense).

Just my personal experience.

normally power exercises should go before strength one.

Yes, the general rule Power Exercises need to be performed first in a program; when you are fresh. Placing them farther down in the exercise batting order is counter productive.

However, as with everything, there is an exception to the rule: Post Activation Potentiation Training. It has briefly been address in previous
post.

high tension exercises should be done on the beginning of training session

"First Things, First"

The first exercise in a training program reaps the greatest benefit because you are fresh.

Thus, if you're objective is to increase Strength, train it first. If your objective it to let's say increase your Push Up Strength, place it first in your program.

If one wants to do everything in one session, "traditional" order would be: power, strength, hypertrophy, conditioning / finisher.

Good General Rule

This is a good general recommendation.

For "optimal development", I think I would dedicate a goal to a session (power or strength, etc...)

Focus On One Thing At A Time

This is another good recommendation.

Last edited:
When I train my OAOLPU I only train that skill on that day. I keep swings and other exercises for a different day. I dedicate a whole session just for 1 skill. Also here tension is the main component, not power.
@Karen Smith knows her stuff !!!!
Training one skill on separate training session would be my perfect world :) but, unfortunately, I don't always have time for it (probably like most of us) and have to combine several skills in one session. Lately I combine S&S with other work on one session, due to lack of time for more sessions per week. I follow @Karen Smith and that she knows her stuff and this thread is not to undermine her words, but rather to share some experience among community :)

If one wants to do everything in one session, "traditional" order would be: power, strength, hypertrophy, conditioning / finisher.
This is the "well-known truth", and something what is repeated like mantra on all courses for trainers. And that's why I decided to ask the question :)

I find doing something hight-tension before swings helps me dial in my plank and my general stiffness (in the good, useful sense).
Yes, this is my experience also, but on the other hand my experience (and the general rule power->strength) also shows that power exercises before strength practice work great.

So I will try to do this for a couple of sessions/weeks: before OAPU I will do several (e.g x3/3) power swings (the ones with parking the bell between reps), just to activate nervous system before high-tension work. @Karen Smith what do you think about that? :)

Thank you all for your replies.

Training one skill on separate training session would be my perfect world :) but, unfortunately, I don't always have time for it (probably like most of us) and have to combine several skills in one session. Lately I combine S&S with other work on one session, due to lack of time for more sessions per week. I follow @Karen Smith and that she knows her stuff and this thread is not to undermine her words, but rather to share some experience among community :)

This is the "well-known truth", and something what is repeated like mantra on all courses for trainers. And that's why I decided to ask the question :)

Yes, this is my experience also, but on the other hand my experience (and the general rule power->strength) also shows that power exercises before strength practice work great.

So I will try to do this for a couple of sessions/weeks: before OAPU I will do several (e.g x3/3) power swings (the ones with parking the bell between reps), just to activate nervous system before high-tension work. @Karen Smith what do you think about that? :)

Thank you all for your replies.
Or you might split your work within session:
A: 4x10 Swings, OAPU, 6x10 Swings
B: OAPU, 10x10 Swings, OAPU

Same but different.

You might also play with Swing styles (1H, 2H) and weight.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom