all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Hindu pushups as restorative?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
I just finished a two month bench/deadlift program with good results. But, my shoulders/upper back feel really tight.

Has anyone tried Hindu pushups.divebombers especially frequent but short sets or Grease the Groove rather than using them as a primary workout to improve shoulder health?

They seem great. Not only are my shoulders tight but the "downward dog" part of it shows how tight my calves are. Like many, I have had limited success with/dislike and neglect static stretching but find the lower body dynamic warmups I do for Muay Thai effective. Now I am looking for something for upper body. I am aware of the many types of stretches you can do. Looking for something different to oil the joints. Not as young as I once was.

Thoughts? Similar exercise that can maintain or build strength while improving mobility.

I practice yoga as a separate practice, not primarily for physical training, but I have found doing Sun Salutations as a warm up or cool down before any type of training session to be beneficial. There are different variations that can mixed, and one can add in various standing poses too.

Armbars (all types standard, bent, bent to press, chain armor) have done a lot to make my shoulder (and honestly upper body) mobility. breathing exercises like Croc breathing is also really amazing for loosening up the body.

These with segmental rolling, cat-camel, bird dogs and a kneeling reach through movement are really good for me when I'm feeling tight and/or beat up..

I have a routine written by Geoff Neupert, you can use it as a body reset and strength/movement hole filler if you're feeling way off, or do it stand alone, I've done it for a week on occasion and felt much better coming out of it.

Hindu pushups bother my shoulders but there's a variation from Scott Sonnon where you bend your knees to lower your hips at the beginning of the movement and that feels better to me.

I use hindu pushups instead of upward downward dog often. Makes my shoulder feel really good.

I do them gtg method in between walks around the park.

Armbars (all types standard, bent, bent to press, chain armor) have done a lot to make my shoulder (and honestly upper body) mobility. breathing exercises like Croc breathing is also really amazing for loosening up the body.

Yes, the arm bar is great and on my list. My shoulders are so tight right now I did them unloaded last night.

These with segmental rolling, cat-camel, bird dogs and a kneeling reach through movement are really good for me when I'm feeling tight and/or beat up..

I have a routine written by Geoff Neupert, you can use it as a body reset and strength/movement hole filler if you're feeling way off, or do it stand alone, I've done it for a week on occasion and felt much better coming out of it.

Could you link or describe the kneeling reach through please? Is the routine public. I have flexible steel and try to use it as a break while working at the computer but I am wondering about more dynamic movements/flows in particular.

I use hindu pushups instead of upward downward dog often. Makes my shoulder feel really good.

I do them gtg method in between walks around the park.

Glad to hear you thought of the same thing. It really is totally different from a standard pushup, not just in the movement. When I do pushups, I concentrate on strongfirst style tension and a slow negative (convict conditioning), so it is not relaxing at all. But the hindu ones feel they are stretching out the internal rotation in the shoulders, and the updown dog is stretching my calves and lower back out. I regret forgetting about them.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom