all posts post new thread

Bodyweight hindu squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

shinch

Level 5 Valued Member
I was puttering around on the internet and I came across Hindu squats and the claims of increase in endurance and conditioning sound similar to the some of the benefits of swings.

Has anyone had experience with these?

From what I've read they are done for high reps but I'm struggling to find a routine or method of implementation. Are there resources that detail specifically hind squats?

Thanks.

Matt Furey had a book called Combat Conditioning where he discussed Hindu squats and Hindu pushups - i can't comment on the effectiveness, safety or programming, but his book may give you what you need.

I've done a lot of these at various times. I got hyped up about them when the Matt Furey book came out and have returned to them periodically, building up to over two hundred in a set and over a thousand in a day.

Not at all similar to swings. Swings are an explosive hip hinge, and Hindu squats are, well, squats, and driven by knee flexion/extension even more than a regular flat-footed squat.

I think Hindu squats are a good complement to swings and other squats because they do stress end range knee flexion in way that other exercises do not. However, I think they should come with a couple of caveats.

--They do put a lot of stress on the knees in an extreme range of motion. Some people may not tolerate this at all. Most people will need to build volume very conservatively (as in do WAY less than you are capable of) and use a deliberate, smooth and controlled pace (not drop and bounce).

--I don't think they are a great choice for generalized "conditioning" (whatever that means), since fatigue is very localized, and going hog wild on volume and pace will likely lead to achy knees (guess how I know this).

I would add them (if at all) in small doses, as a fill-in-the-gaps complement, not as a focus of training. For a lot of people, Hindu squats are a "dose makes the poison" kind of thing.

A loaded version of the Hindu squat that I like is the KB hack squat, which I believe is described in Beyond Bodybuilding. Basically, you do a Hindu squat while holding a KB behind the back. The key to these is keeping the torso upright; leaning forward is a cheat that make the drill very easy. With an upright torso, you have to keep the glutes very tight and really drive the hips forward to get out of the hole. The same caveats about conservative progression and non-tolerance apply to KB hack squats as well.

Last edited:
Hello,

I tried this program for a while. I agree with Steve W.

In my opinion, you should only do
250 - 300 hindu squats (quitte less taxing for your knees) if your knees can tolerate it. Besides, it will be a good general conditioning for cardio / strength.

Then, instead to only half of H. Push ups

Then, do some pistol squats and OAOL push ups (so this is naked warrior).

Then keep doing the bridge.

In you want a complete bodyweight program, I think it is a better option

Kind regards

Pet'

Mike Mahler has a video on them, they are more quad dominant vs the hamstring dominant swing - he supersets them and it is an excellent lower body workout if low on equipment.

I was on fureys combat conditioning for about 2yrs. Included Hindu squats, Hindu push-ups & back bridge. He called them the Royal Court. I used it to break back into training after a rather severe back injury, it was the first program back after months of rehab. Started with very low volume due to injury- 10 squats, 5 push-ups, & barely a bridge. Added 5 squats per week & kept push-ups to half squat numbers, just done the best I could increasing time on bridges. Eventually got to 100 squats, 50 push-ups daily & quite a good bridge. I lost fat & gained muscle on my thighs & across my chest & shoulders. I rate the program quite highly as I don't think I would be playing with kettle bells at the moment without it. Strict form is a must, I didn't get sore knees but periodically got painful Achilles' tendon, but that was due partly from my injury. I didn't go any higher with the reps as this seemed to be the point of diminishing returns for me. Doing 100 Hindu squats daily can be quite boring, but I used it almost like meditation & just concentrated on the movement, it doesn't take very long once you get in the groove. I was coming from a bad place when I started doing the squats so my results would be more impressive (large increase in endurance, strength & stamina) than someone who is fit & healthy. I often recommend Hindu squats & push-ups to people starting out again or for the first time, as no equipment required & very little floor space needed. I also agree with Steve W they are not like swings, 2 very different exercises. Happy to help with any more specific questions, as it was my sole form of training for shade over 2yrs.

For kb hack squat, start with your knees a couple of inches from a wall, adjust as needed, to prevent forward lean.

-S-

Hey shinch,
I did Matt Furey's program of hindu squats, hindu pushups and bridges for several years when it first came out. Got up to doing a set of 500 squats, 100 pu's and 3 min bridge. Was totally out of shape at the time I started and I credit his program for getting me off my butt. Never experienced any pain from the exercises. If your pace yourself properly, you shouldn't have any problems. Definitely do the research on proper form and it should be no problem. You could just get his combat conditioning book. I think it was around $20, but not sure. Even now I will do a set of 100 squats and or a set of 25 hindu push ups when I just want to get the blood flowing. I have stayed with the bridges since doing his program. I do a 2-3 min bridge daily.

Low base of exercises, not much on programming and structure was horrendous , also amount of commercials in the book itself was terrible, that was something i despised the most from the book, the clutter.
- much better choice for bodyweight training imo was Pavel Naked Warrior and Ross Enamaits Nevergymless @Steve Freides

- i also paid like 50 $ for it... way overpriced for the things it got covered.

I also think that putting hindu squats in circuits of bodyweight exercises can have some good benefit on conditioning. :)

Hello,

I did a lot of judo and we used almost each time the couple hindu squats / diver push ups, either slowly (strength) or fast (explosivity). I my opinion, they are good conditioning exercises which work both flexibility and muscles.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom