all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hints and corrections for a personal training program please.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TheyCallMeS

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey guys and gals,

I'm really hoping that I've understod the theme of this forum, correct.

I've recently hit a rough spot in my life, and it has forced my out of my gym. But I refuse to let it stop me from reaching my training goals.

I've spent a few hours trying to figure out a good training program, where I can hit all my muscles. I'm hoping that people who are more knowledgable than me can answer if I'm actually hitting all the muscle groups. I've spent a lot of time on this to pick exersices that I actually like doing rather then just the first and best.

Training program

Alle are done until 2-4 reps away from failure. With about 15-30 sec break between reps. And 30-60 sec break between exersices.

Crosstrainer warmup - 5 min
Knee to Elbow Laying - 2 sets
Half Wipers (Wipers with bent knees) - 1 set
Standing bicep curls - Dumbell - 3 sets
Standing shoulder press - Dumbell - 3 sets
Lying Tricep Extensions - Dumbell - 3 sets
Lying Flyers - Dumbell - 3 sets
Bent over rotating reverse grip row - Dumbell - 3 sets

A shoulder matrix rotation
First set - Lateral Raise
Second set - Pushing forwards into a Y raise
Third set - Bent over Reverse fly

Laying pullovers - 3 sets

5-10 min break

Crosstainer - Ending right before breaking point.

My appologies, if my grammar isn't on point. English is my second language :)

Nate is right.
If you tell us what your goals are we would be in a better position to advise you.

Likewise it would be helpful to know your training and sports history, injury history, and what equipment you have access to.

And welcome...

Thanks for the warm welcome, you guys are awesome.

I'm a nerdy guy, with a nerdy job, so I sit down most of the day. Well I use to sit down a lot.

I've been pretty fit most of my life. I played a lot of soccer, but I kinda stopped a few years ago. I'm pretty picky about how I look and once I saw a bit of a belly start forming, I got myself into a local gym. Corona hit and the motivation lowered a bit, due to people losing their jobs. Me included.

I don't have any old injuries, so nothing to complain about.

My first goal is to slim down a bit, it's not a whole lot, 5 kg at most. I'm not sure what that is in lb.

Second goal is to put it back on in muscle. I don't have a size that I want to hit, but the ladies like a six pack, so that's pretty much what I'm going for.

I'm not aiming to get big big, as I really think a nice soccer body fits me better. But I do wanna hit the whole body.

I have a cross trainer and dumbbells. That's what I've been able to get so far. I don't have a whole lot of room, but I could maybe get a machine or two more into the apartment.

1. If possible, find an SFG to teach you the Level 1 Kettlebell skills.
2. Practice 'Simple & Sinister: Revised and Updated' almost daily until you own the Simple standard.

As you're trying to lose weight, you'd have to restrict your calories. I think it's worth mentioning that you can only get 'big big' if you eat a calorie surplus for many years, it's not something that can accidentally happen.

Here is an interesting video of the England team strength training for the World Cup.

@TheyCallMeS
Craig is giving you good advice that I will echo.

S&S (you would need some kettle bells) and diet.

Don’t be concerned about all of your individual muscle groups and body parts. They don’t work on their own. Swings and TGU (a la S&S) will target most of your body in a holistic fashion. Once you are adept at that then if you feel the need you can add some targeted exercises.

Those 5kg are going to happen (quicker) in the kitchen rather than the gym...

Good suggestions here, altrough if you don't have a job currently (sorry to hear that) I recommend training with what you have instead of buying a kettlebell or machines or whatever, the only thing you need to train is you.
that being said, in my opinion you have way too many exercises, and a lot of them are laying down, wich limits the number of muscles recruited,
here's a couple pointers that might help you:

-do any warm up you like
-choose a couple of full body exercises and stick to those: ex. dumbell squat, dumbell overhead press, dumbell row, pushups.
-make the rest periods as long as you need: I prefer between 1 and 3 minutes, but really, rest as long as necessary.
-take rest days as needed, listening to your body
- do more reps over time, or shorten the rest periods
-don't do the finisher, save your energy for the next session, you need to recover as well
-instead finish off with some easy stretching

That's about all I can think of at the moment, I home this helps!

Good suggestions here, altrough if you don't have a job currently (sorry to hear that) I recommend training with what you have instead of buying a kettlebell or machines or whatever, the only thing you need to train is you.
that being said, in my opinion you have way too many exercises, and a lot of them are laying down, wich limits the number of muscles recruited,

-do any warm up you like
-choose a couple of full body exercises and stick to those: ex. dumbell squat, dumbell overhead press, dumbell row, pushups.
-make the rest periods as long as you need: I prefer between 1 and 3 minutes, but really, rest as long as necessary.
-don't do the finisher, save your energy for the next session, you need to recover as well

^^^^THIS^^^^Great Post @Erik Hournou
So your goals are lose 5kg(X2.2lbs) and a Six pack? Sorry to hear about the job loss, save your money.

I'm with Erik on his list of compound exercises with your current equipment. The only thing I might add is to do hill sprints a couple times a week. Do like 8-10 hills, preferably on grass, not paved roads. Mix and vary the lengths and speed. I used to like doing 3-4 short, steeper hills, 3-4 medium length, and 1-2 longer hills. Go hard on the last hill in each group. Do the long ones last. Short hills: 30-40 m. Medium 50-80 m.; long 90-120 meters. These should be sprints, not easy jogs. Use the walk down the hill as your rest period. On those last two long hills, if you go hard, don't curse me for suggesting these. I've found these to be more enjoyable than jogging a mile or two.(edit) wanted to add that 5-6 would be a good starting point.

Last edited:
^^^^THIS^^^^Great Post @Erik Hournou
So your goals are lose 5kg(X2.2lbs) and a Six pack? Sorry to hear about the job loss, save your money.

I'm with Erik on his list of compound exercises with your current equipment. The only thing I might add is to do hill sprints a couple times a week. Do like 8-10 hills, preferably on grass, not paved roads. Mix and vary the lengths and speed. I used to like doing 3-4 short, steeper hills, 3-4 medium length, and 1-2 longer hills. Go hard on the last hill in each group. Do the long ones last. Short hills: 30-40 m. Medium 50-80 m.; long 90-120 meters. These should be sprints, not easy jogs. Use the walk down the hill as your rest period. On those last two long hills, if you go hard, don't curse me for suggesting these. I've found these to be more enjoyable than jogging a mile or two.(edit) wanted to add that 5-6 would be a good starting point.

uwu thanks :)

also creating a training log in the forum helps with accountability and motivation.

@TheyCallMeS
Craig is giving you good advice that I will echo.

S&S (you would need some kettle bells) and diet.

Don’t be concerned about all of your individual muscle groups and body parts. They don’t work on their own. Swings and TGU (a la S&S) will target most of your body in a holistic fashion. Once you are adept at that then if you feel the need you can add some targeted exercises.

Those 5kg are going to happen (quicker) in the kitchen rather than the gym...

S&S looks crasy fun. I might wanna do that with some mates when I get back to working. Do you have some kind of diet plan that you can recommend? Or would it be easier to just start counting what I put in my mouth? I've never had to look out for what I eat.

-do any warm up you like

Aren't you mostly hitting the thorax, arms, shoulder and back with those, I don't see much around the abdomen or am I overlooking something?

S&S looks crasy fun. I might wanna do that with some mates when I get back to working. Do you have some kind of diet plan that you can recommend? Or would it be easier to just start counting what I put in my mouth? I've never had to look out for what I eat.
I have no ‘diet plan’ I would recommend other than eating real food.

That being said many folks around here have had good success with such things as: Intermittent Fasting, Warrior Diet, Steak and Veggies.
Spend some time poking around on the forum and you will discover a lot of options...

I’m not a diet expert but if you just wanna lose 5kg if you do intermittent fasting, cut carbs below 20g/day or even just cut out all processed foods and sugars those should be gone in a month I would say. Personally (and I’m sorry to everyone who’s heard me say this 50 times). Basically been eating just steak and eggs (salads every once in a while) and I’m almost 40lbs down in 3 months. I’m taking it a little to the extreme but it works and my energy levels are consistent and training hasn’t suffered. Don’t want to be pushy about it but a “keto” diet is pretty simple to implement and effective provided you get adequate protein.

Aren't you mostly hitting the thorax, arms, shoulder and back with those, I don't see much around the abdomen or am I overlooking something?
I think you're overlooking the fact that muscles don't just activate on their own.

- if you're properly doing pushups you should be holding a strong plank position that activates your abdomen completely, even your legs should be tense
-with rows, you have to keep yourself from falling forward, of course with ab activation.
- and of course you're forgetting the squats wich load the legs as well as the core

so you're pretty much getting a whole body workout with just those movements,
The key is in keeping tension throughout your whole body and not just "doing the movement". I have a friends whose legs grew a little bit... doing only pushups and pullups.

the thing is, you can get gains for a loooong time before needing to do direct ab work, if you maintain tension troughout all your exercises.

read hardstyle abs for further information.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom