all posts post new thread

Barbell Hip Flexor pain during squat.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MatiPK

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi, I've got a problem, when trying to attempt a deep squat I get pain in my right hip flexor at the bottom.
I tried steching hip flexor and rolling it. Also tried a lot of variations of squat and it happens everytime.
I had a 4 month break from squating and it still hurts a little. If I continue squating I am sure it will be worse and worse again. Any ideas?

Probably can't give you advice as any pain needs to be evaluated by a medical professional, but here is something to try -- if you get on your hands and knees, widen your knees and push your butt back towards your feet; so that your hips are in the squat position but your hip flexors can be relaxed, do you feel the same thing then?

Probably can't give you advice as any pain needs to be evaluated by a medical professional, but here is something to try -- if you get on your hands and knees, widen your knees and push your butt back towards your feet; so that your hips are in the squat position but your hip flexors can be relaxed, do you feel the same thing then?
I tried it. And there is no pain during that. It happens when I reach 90degree and lower in normal squat.
My external/internal rotation isn't bad.

If doc ok’s you, try Cossack squats. Aim for wide, let deep happen.

-S-

Stretching isn't always the answer. I had some pretty bad hip flexor pain and it was due to weakness elsewhere. My hip flexors were actually incredibly flexible due to all the stretching I'd done -they were just compensating for weakness of other muscles.

See a physiotherapist for ab assessment.

As said above your internal/external rotators might be weak, your glute medius might be weak, I'm sure there are many other explanations. Don't wait too long before sorting it, or you might have a much longer rehab than required (mine was been most of the last 12 months)

I have worked on my toe positioning, flexibility and form and according to that my knee and hip positioning changed. Pain in hips rarely occurs after lunges and almost never after squats.

You mention squat variations, what do you mean exactly?

Is the pain any different in a super wide vs very narrow stance? Does your foot angle have any effect?

I tried toe positioning, also tried a lot of stances (wider/very narrow). I feel pain in front squats/lowbar squat/high bar squat. Front squats seems to be most comfortable for that hip flexor but still hurts.
Maybe my butt muscles isn't strong enough, and there is so much stress on hip flexors. I'll work on them and we'll see.

I tried toe positioning, also tried a lot of stances (wider/very narrow). I feel pain in front squats/lowbar squat/high bar squat. Front squats seems to be most comfortable for that hip flexor but still hurts.
Maybe my butt muscles isn't strong enough, and there is so much stress on hip flexors. I'll work on them and we'll see.

This is the last thing I will say on this thread. I am a medical doctor and despite my training was not able to self diagnose what was causing my hip pain. Getting an assessment by a qualified professional is the only sensible course of action. Self diagnosis can lead to things being far worse than they need to be.

I had the same a while bag on my left side. As physio figured out, somewhere else in the chain was slacking and my hip flexor was just overcompensating.

As @DavThew says....see a healthcare pro. Keep the long term in mind.

I worked on my glutes alot and squat technique. I find that at the botom I was on my fingers not heels, that was cuz of my powerlifting shoes. Now I squat barefoot and there is no pain.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom