all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hip flexor pain

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nikolaus

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi everyone,

I have been experiencing pain in my hip flexor for the past 3 weeks when...
  • doing KB single rack squats (only type of squat i currently do)
  • Long hikes/ ski tours
While doing only S&S I have not expirienced this pain - only since i started incorperating squats.
I don't believe the root of it is overtraining since there are three days between squat sessions and i do not train overly hard.
What is more probably:
  1. Wrong squat technique
  2. Not enough warmup
  3. I do not stretch/cooldown
Regarding 1.: Is this a probable reason ? I am asking because, S&S with 32kg didn't cause the pain and I would argue that the swing strains the hip flexor more. Currently I do 5L/5R x 5 Squats with 24kg.
Regarding 2. : I do the S&S warmup routine + bodyweight squats on a balance board (on squat days).
Regarding 3.: Same reasoning as 1. - Would have expirience some pain in the last 2 years I am doing KB.

I am interested and thankful for your input!
- Niko

Hi everyone,

I have been experiencing pain in my hip flexor for the past 3 weeks when...
  • doing KB single rack squats (only type of squat i currently do)
  • Long hikes/ ski tours
While doing only S&S I have not expirienced this pain - only since i started incorperating squats.
I don't believe the root of it is overtraining since there are three days between squat sessions and i do not train overly hard.
What is more probably:
  1. Wrong squat technique
  2. Not enough warmup
Regarding 1.: Is this a probable reason ? I am asking because, S&S with 32kg didn't cause the pain and I would argue that the swing strains the hip flexor more. Currently I do 5L/5R x 5 Squats with 24kg.
Regarding 2. : I do the S&S warmup routine + bodyweight squats on a balance board (on squat days).
Regarding 3.: Same reasoning as 1. - Would have expirience some pain in the last 2 years I am doing KB.

I am interested and thankful for your input!
- Niko
Can you post a video of your squat here?

Can you post a video of your squat here?
+1

What is more probably:
  1. Wrong squat technique
  2. Not enough warmup
I'm guessing #3. Let's theorize about why.

When we teach the kettlebell front squat, we talk about "pulling yourself into the hole" and this done with the hip flexors - you are, after all, actively flexing at the hip and that's what hip flexors do.

Some stretching should address your situation if our diagnosis is correct. You might also make sure you have a really solid lockout at the top of your squats since that position should, at least a little put some stretch into your hip flexors as you clench your glutes and abs.

-S-

Could also be something outside of training, too.

I recall a few years ago I had some irritation in the right hip flexor and I had been spending a lot of time driving. I realized my seat was too far forward and I was holding tension in my hip flexor all the time I was in the car with my foot on the pedal.

Thank you all for your answers!
@Steve Freides @Mark Limbaga This could easily be the case. I am not sure that I have a full lockout all the time.
@Anna C Interesting thought. We moved to a new rehearsal space, where I dont have as much space at my drumset as I used to. I sat very squeezed the last times. I will have a closer look at it !

I stumbled across a video about hip anatomy from the youtube channel Squat University. Dr. Aaron Horschig talked about two "hip types": Anteversion and Retroversion. It seems that I fall under the type Retroversion. Therefore I "should" perform my squat with my toes point outwards in about 30 degrees - which feel much more natural to me. Till this point I have made sure that my feet point straight ahead. (I can sit in lotus position for about 5 minutes - I guess this also indicates Retroversion).

Attached is a video of my squat - bear with me, I am fairly new to KB squats. So I guess you see a lot of - let's say ... potential :)

Edit1: I dont see the video attached, is there like an approval process?
Edit2: Here is the video:

Last edited:
Good squat, plenty of potential, and the toes out a bit and a wide base is a good idea for most.
Try slowing your descent a bit, using muscle to pull yourself back and down, and limit your depth a bit to avoid the butt wink.
Maybe try a few pause squats at parallel or just below.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom