all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Hip Hinge BW vs KB

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
To develop power, you have to do work/time. In order for this to be, work = force x distance. Force implies load. The only way to make up for this discrepancy in the absence of load, would be to do something faster or cover more distance in less time.

With a bw hip hinge, unless you are referring to a horizontal jump, you will not generate much power. Firstly because there is no force (load is absent) and secondly because most of the movement will be spent decelerating. Without the mathematics, id be willing to bet most ( who have a base of strength and technique) can do a faster hip hinge with a 45 kB then with bodyweight, as the load decreases the need for deceleration (with a band would be better). A way to mitigate this would be to jump, either forward as in a broad jump or up like a good morning jump (if we’re talking hinge pattern here, a good morning jump will do more then a basic vertical jump with bent knees).

I think a BWhip hinge is more designed to practice the hip hinge motion then a power or strength developer. The kettlebell is better for power.

Unless you can only deadlift 135, a kB hip hinge (deadlift) won’t do much for your power. Swings and snatches with the appropriate percentage would do this better. I’m calling on @kennycro@@aol.com to hit us with some better data regarding power training including optimal load percentages

I’m calling on @kennycro@@aol.com to hit us with some better data regarding power training including optimal load
First of all, I agree with what you posted and like Steve's question.

As you stated, the Kettlebell Swing is one, if not the most effective, hip hinge power movement.

Secondly, to figure this out you need a Physics Nerd to figure it out. I think there a guy on this site that could break it down.

The way I see it, there's no full-on BW substitute for a weighted hip hinge. You can train the constituent parts (working glutes, hamstrings, back, and jumping power) and acheive great results but it won't really be the same thing. Thus, I think it's best to use swings or dead lifts if you have access to the equipment. It's just more effecient.

This is one of the articles that really blew up gymnastic-style strength training, and Coach Sommer explains that he and his athletes were able to hit pretty decent deadlift numbers without having specifically trained it. Food for thought?

The way I see it, there's no full-on BW substitute for a weighted hip hinge. You can train the constituent parts (working glutes, hamstrings, back, and jumping power) and acheive great results but it won't really be the same thing. Thus, I think it's best to use swings or dead lifts if you have access to the equipment. It's just more effecient.

This is one of the articles that really blew up gymnastic-style strength training, and Coach Sommer explains that he and his athletes were able to hit pretty decent deadlift numbers without having specifically trained it. Food for thought?

I’ve actually written quite a bit on some great results I received in barbell strength from strictly calisthenics training for a span of several months during lockdown, namely the deadlift. However, this worked for me for several reasons I believe.

1) I got a chance to deload from consistent barbell training.
2) my lat strength or core tension abilities became much more prominent from just front lever and pull-ups (in one day out of boredom I did 300 pull-ups without a bar I.e. on door frames, etc. ) my grip strength also improved.
3) I did yoga mobility drills for tight PC muscles, ie I did my deadlift wedges without weights, pushing into my hips.
4) a lot of pistol variations, jumps and sprints happened during this time.
5) I have an ideal build for deadlifts, thus most leg training develops my hips better than my thighs and I can go without deadlifts for months, training the aforementioned qualities, and my dead will likely maintain or improve.

Ill also note that my pressing strength improved (added two reps to my original 3 rn on floor press of 110 kgs) from planche a, OAP, push-ups and handstands and Lsits. This was on the very first day returning to the barbell. My squat didn’t improve immediately, though.

I'd say for straight up power development, kneeling jumps, broad jumps are going to help considerably. Having access to heavy KBs is going to a do a lot as well.

If the hinge power is specific to a sport movement, then strengthening and making the muscles bigger with traditional resistance + practicing the actual sport movement will yield the most direct benefit.

Why do you ask this question, i.e., what is your goal?

-S-

Hello,
Currently I enjoy doing glute bridges but they haven’t have much challenge in terms of power.

My goals
1. Bulk from 210lbs to 225lbs
2. Continue to develop power and agility
3. Get my deadlift from 400lbs to 500lbs

In other words, I want to continue to develop strength, power, and muscle.

My goals
Probably best to keep deadlifting and do some high box jumps or the like. The leverage mechanics of high level BW/calisthenics moves do not lend themselves well to getting huge (at least in the lower body). I can think of a few high-performing calisthenics athletes that use barbell squats and deadlifts for the majority of their lower body training.

Hello,
Currently I enjoy doing glute bridges but they haven’t have much challenge in terms of power.

My goals

In other words, I want to continue to develop strength, power, and muscle.

I don't think glute bridges are going to do much to help you reach those goals.

The resistance is just not high enough with a standard BW glute bridge.

I don't think glute bridges are going to do much to help you reach those goals.

The resistance is just not high enough with a standard BW glute bridge.

Adding a maximal isometric to a bridge (ie pull your feet towards your shoulders against the friction of the floor) will dramatically increase the strength you can develop with bridges. I have a deadlift upwards of 160kg (probably, I haven’t practiced it in a while) but doing this will fry my hamstrings if I’m in a situation with no equipment. Especially SL versions.

Adding a maximal isometric to a bridge (ie pull your feet towards your shoulders against the friction of the floor) will dramatically increase the strength you can develop with bridges. I have a deadlift upwards of 160kg (probably, I haven’t practiced it in a while) but doing this will fry my hamstrings if I’m in a situation with no equipment. Especially SL versions.

I think this is highly individual, especially by training age.

Hasn't done anything for my clean, snatch, or squat.

It's a nice warmup and activation exercise, though.

As for hypertrophy, I get a bigger butt pump from booty bands.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom