all posts post new thread

Barbell Hip Hinge vs Anterior Pelvic Tilt

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JediMind

Level 5 Valued Member
Greetings comrades,

When lowering myself for a DL or when doing GM:
1. Is there any problem if I get a APT instead of a hip hinge? In other words, is there a difference between APT and hip hinge at that lowered point ? - where butt's back and upper body is parallel to the floor, knees locked or bent 15 degrees.

2. If there is a difference, are there any cues or way to spot if I am at a hip hinge position or at an APT position when i lower down to pick the bar ?

Thanks very much

I'm not sure I understand your question, but it sounds to me like anterior pelvic tilt would mean an arch or at least excessive spine extension for a DL or GM. In this case, the abdominals are not engaged enough. Braced abs will take out the excessive extension and establish a better "canister" where pelvic floor and diaphragm are parallel to each other rather than being at an angle. Maintaining the strong abdominal brace will also maintain the straight, braced, neutral or very slightly extended spine position through the lift. So:

1) Yes, that would be a problem

2) A way to check yourself is to put your hands between your pelvis and ribcage as you are standing in a neutral posture. Thumbs on bottom of ribcage, fingers on hip bone. Now hinge, maintaining the same distance between ribcage and pelvis.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, another way of putting what I said earlier would be, do I tuck in my tailbone when i'm at at the pelvis-diaphragm-parallel position or should the tailbone be aimed towards the ceiling?

I do make it a point to brace my abs but I can't say for sure how much bracing is enough for the perfect alignment. With a 1 or 2 RM weights I guess the bracing would be maximum.

The hands of the obliques technique you mentioned in no. 2 is a good idea.

Thanks

I think I would say as a cue to aim your tailbone at the wall behind you. If the hand measure technique doesn't detect an increase of the distance between your ribcage and hip bone, then you haven't gone too far into APT. If you detect a decrease of the distance as you move into the hinge, then you haven't gone far enough. There should be no change.

Yes, go for maximum abdominal bracing on ALL reps, same as you would do for 1 or 2 RM.

@JediMind, "perfect alignment" isn't necessary. Brace - that's what's important. For each of us, there is some sort of neutral spine position that's worth finding, and it's worth mentioning that it's typically not as APT as when we're standing - bracing will tuck your tail under a little compared to that. The ideal is to maintain - to not move out of - a braced position as you hip hinge. If you do this - "tailbone aimed towards the ceiling" - then eliminate that ATP in your plank position, you'll be doing more movement in your lumbar/SI area, and doing it repetitively under load, than you need.

I hope a second explanation is helpful to you - @Anna C and I are saying pretty much the same thing, I think.

-S-

Grab a dowel/broomstick and put it behind your back. Ensure it touches the tailbone, your spine between your shoulder blades, and if you have decent posture the 3rd position is touching the back of your head.

When you perform the hinge, if you are excessively tilting the pelvis anteriorly, two things may happen:

1. you will increase the space between the dowel and your lumbar spine (easy way to tell - you/someone can fit your whole arm through the space
2. you will lose contact on the spine between the shoulder blades.

both of those could be an indicator that you are losing the your brace/not hinging from the femur/acetabulum

It sounds like you are describing a "drinky bird" hinge vs a sit back hinge. The drinky bird just moves forward( still bending at the hip) but doesn't 'sit back"
It's hard to tell from just the words but if this is the case then it is not ok for a swing or DL and will end up in your lower back eventually

this is a video I did on the athletic hinge to describe the difference.The same thing would apply to a dl or a gm

Hope I answered the right question

Last edited:
I think I would say as a cue to aim your tailbone at the wall behind you. If the hand measure technique doesn't detect an increase of the distance between your ribcage and hip bone, then you haven't gone too far into APT. If you detect a decrease of the distance as you move into the hinge, then you haven't gone far enough. There should be no change.

Yes, go for maximum abdominal bracing on ALL reps, same as you would do for 1 or 2 RM.

Yes, what Anna and Steve said. I did answer the wrong question. Too early and not enough coffee yet :)

Thank you Anna and wespom9.

Rif, hope you are well. Your input is always appreciated. That video is helpful.

Steve, hope you are well. Thank you for the great insights once again.

Reactions: Rif
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom