all posts post new thread

Barbell Hip Impingement Injury

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dmaxashman

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm a soccer player. Have been strength training many years. Have dull pain issue with left hip impingement for a long time now. It comes and goes. Like doing a weighted deep squat or lunge would cause it to hurt a little at the bottom. Kicking hard with my left leg will cause it to hurt.

What are good strength training exercises to help improve the hip impingement issue? Or what about mobility (or breathing!?) exercises also? Thanks for any thoughts on this!!!

I'm a soccer player. Have been strength training many years. Have dull pain issue with left hip impingement for a long time now. It comes and goes. Like doing a weighted deep squat or lunge would cause it to hurt a little at the bottom. Kicking hard with my left leg will cause it to hurt.

What are good strength training exercises to help improve the hip impingement issue? Or what about mobility (or breathing!?) exercises also? Thanks for any thoughts on this!!!
I have a few ideas. Start here. Do 3-4 days in a row. Keep an open mind. FYI, the whole thing takes me around 15-20 mins.

Last edited:

See a physio. If you have and they weren't able to help, see a different one until something helps.

Some things that may help you figure things out:

Many people (not all, but many) have asymmetrical hips, with the right being more "back" and sort of stuck in hip internal rotation, the left being stuck "forward" and sort of stuck externally rotated. Other signs that go along with this can be:

-the medial arch of the left foot will be flatter than the right
-the right hip may appear "higher" than the left
-the left shoulder may appear higher than the right

If any of that sounds like you, find someone trained in PRI (postural restoration institute) techniques. The bulk of their techniques are centered around putting things back into alignment, getting the body to feel what that position is like, what muscles need to "wake up," and then breathing.

This guy presents great material which is founded in those principles. Seeing someone in person is best, but if his info helps, then that's great too.

Get a diagnosis and some guidelines on what you can do. Then you will need to do some gentle experimentation so you get gains without making your injury worse. Doctors can provide a medical diagnosis. Some sports doctors who are used to treating athlete can do a bit more. Physios can diagnose as well and one used to treating athletes can be very helpful as well.

If there is impingement on just one side then asymmetry is a contributing factor. Things which reduce the asymmetry (without adding pain!) will help. The things take time to resolve assuming you work on them (without pain) on a daily or near daily basis. Get that formal diagnosis first though.

I agree with the recommendation to see a PT; you need to differentiate between impingement, which can potentially be treated by strengthening your hip’s deep rotators, versus something else like an iliopsoas strain, which would require a different treatment route. That’s just one example of another pathology that can have pain in that region.

You can PM me to chat more, if you want.

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

Thank you for the feedback guys!! I'm kind of skeptical of the advice to see a Doctor or PT. I don't want surgery. And I've seen like 30 PTs in my life. The odds that a random PT could actually help are literally like 1/1000.

I've found PRI to be very uniquely helpful to me in the past. So this Conor Harris stuff is great. Thank you for this recommendation. This could be a big help for me. I will maybe buy a couple of EBooks and try those out or maybe sign up for online training with him (it seems like he refers to a couple of colleagues).

Btw for anyone else who has this hip impingement problem, I found these Conor video particularly interesting!! -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31FPKiJVO7k&ab_channel=ConorHarris

@dmaxashman you might also look up David Grey, or "David Grey Rehab." I am unsure what resources he has that you could easily access, but I know he specializes in lower body rehab, performance and biomechanics. If anything, checking out his instagram content might be helpful just as a little self education and perspective.

@Don Fairbanks This is quite interesting. Can you speak to your experience/results with fascial maneuvers for various issues?
Consistent training , with miles, 46+ years, 31+ of training others . Over the years I've thrown the kitchen sink at most joints. Been running the above vid. everyday for 2 months, mixed in with other stuff and at a faster pace. Low back, hips, knees, etc. started feeling better after a couple days. Similar reports with clients, even though they are much less consistent. Works for me so I've been sharing.

Could also help.

I have a few ideas. Start here. Do 3-4 days in a row. Keep an open mind. FYI, the whole thing takes me around 15-20 mins.

I tried this out last night and although it wasn’t as amazing as the instructors preached it to be for them, it was nice and I plan to run it again tonight. I loved the ear one, it released all the tension in my neck and jaw.

I tried this out last night and although it wasn’t as amazing as the instructors preached it to be for them, it was nice and I plan to run it again tonight. I loved the ear one, it released all the tension in my neck and jaw.
From the Mark Bell Power Project podcast #739, run it for a handful of days in a row.
Yes, I've had a few WTH effects as well.

Can I please ask another question. When you guys have clients with hip impingement injuries, how do you do lower body training and work around it? What are the strength training exercises you guys do? Like, pistols, DL, squats, lunges, pull throughs, etc, what do you go to? Thanks!!

Can I please ask another question. When you guys have clients with hip impingement injuries, how do you do lower body training and work around it? What are the strength training exercises you guys do? Like, pistols, DL, squats, lunges, pull throughs, etc, what do you go to? Thanks!!
Most of the exercises you mentioned plus other squat variations, step ups, touch downs, sled pulls/pushes, swings, KB Athletic drills. Have to watch the weight and ranges and will usually vary the exercises from session to session

Depends on specifics like severity and range of motion. A lot can be similar with tweaks, but focusing on abs and glutes is a little more of a priority.

Thanks,
Sam Goldner, DPT

Good stuff @Don Fairbanks, thanks for sharing. I did the first half and it made my neck and shoulders feel much better. Have had quite a bit of tension in the neck and traps lately.

Btw just wanted to bump this thread and let people know, doing PRI, doing the breathing drills of Conor Harris, and Bill Hartman, has been big for me. Thank you everyone!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom