all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hip Opening Combo: ATG Split Squats + High Rep KB Sumo DLs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
It's that time of year where on the colder days I don't want to go into my unheated garage and use my frigid barbells.

So I keep the programming the same (4 days a week, upper/lower split), but swap in KB variations and adjust the reps upwards to account for the lighter weights.

Today's modification turned out to be a pretty good combo.

The ATG split squats need a lot more neural drive and intention (you can lose your balance!), are unilateral, hit the VMO, and open up you hips front to back.

After pre-exhausting your legs and hips, follow up with sumo DLs to hit the adductors (shout out to @Don Fairbanks the king of the adductor magnus ), vastus lateralis, neglected glute med, and open your hips to the sides.

Finish with abs/back and stretches.

Warm Up

Cossack squats until you feel well lubed in your ankles, knees, and hips.

ATG split squats

3 sets of 6 per leg your first time.

Work up to 5 sets over the next several weeks.

If you're more experienced and mobile, try using something to raise the heel on your leading leg. I used a Rogue 20 degree squat wedge. This helps get your knees waaaaay past your toes.

Loading:

Bodyweight is much harder to balance, but you can't sink as deep and the concentric might be too easy if you've done a lot of quad work.

Otherwise, suitcase loading according to your abilities and available equipment. Balance gets easier, the stretch gets deeper, the concentric gets harder.

KB Sumo DLs

5 sets. Rep it out to 2 RIR.

Loading:

Use the heaviest KB (or two) you've got.

Abs/Back:

Supermans, Deadbugs, Pilates 100, KB Russian Twists

Stretches:

90-90, pigeon pose, frog stretch, butterfly stretch

Result:

You're probably going to feel sore in places you're not used to feeling it.

And get some gains from movement patterns and muscles you're likely not using much now.

Last edited:
The remaining half of my kneecap just shuddered in pain!

I struggle with lunge/split squat movements but can do lateral stuff like lateral kb hip openers.

I have some imbalances due to my knee but have found as long as I’m regularly doing some kind of hip opening exercises regularly my hips feel great.

Worlds greatest stretch, and trigger ball on the front of my hip works good too ( though sucks ).

Hello @watchnerd

Why dit you chose the KB sumo deadlift ? Is it because you consider it more beneficial than an unilateral move such as single leg deadlift (which may be harder to load heavily) or even hamstring curl ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @watchnerd

Why dit you chose the KB sumo deadlift ? Is it because you consider it more beneficial than an unilateral move such as single leg deadlift (which may be harder to load heavily) or even hamstring curl ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Not OP but I assume the wide stance for opening the hips and focusing more on some different muscles to what are used in regular stance hinges.

I gave up on Bulgarian split squats last spring after straining an adductor. I'll probably add lunges or something - I've just been lazy about it.

I am doing very wide-stance squats w. the safety squat bar and I really like them as a mobility exercise - I used to do them w. the Manta Ray, but now I prefer the SSQ bar.

Not OP but I assume the wide stance for opening the hips and focusing more on some different muscles to what are used in regular stance hinges.

That, plus with the barbell the sumo version doesn't cause technique pollution with my clean DL / clean pull.

It's that time of year where on the colder days I don't want to go into my unheated garage and use my frigid barbells.

So I keep the programming the same (4 days a week, upper/lower split), but swap in KB variations and adjust the reps upwards to account for the lighter weights.

The ATG split squats need a lot more neural drive and intention (you can lose your balance!), are unilateral, hit the VMO, and open up you hips front to back.

After pre-exhausting your legs and hips, follow up with sumo DLs to hit the adductors (shout out to @Don Fairbanks the king of the adductor magnus ), vastus lateralis, neglected glute med, and open your hips to the sides.

Warm Up

ATG split squats

If you're more experienced and mobile, try using something to raise the heel on your leading leg. I used a Rogue 20 degree squat wedge. This helps get your knees waaaaay past your toes.

Loading:

Bodyweight is much harder to balance, but you can't sink as deep and the concentric might be too easy if you've done a lot of quad work.

Otherwise, suitcase loading according to your abilities and available equipment. Balance gets easier, the stretch gets deeper, the concentric gets harder.

KB Sumo DLs

Loading:

Abs/Back:

Stretches:

Result:

And get some gains from movement patterns and muscles you're likely not using much now.
Inside thigh joke.

My coach has been programming these atg split squats at the tail end of squat days. They are kinda evil, but they work fantastic.

When I'm doing heavier barbell lifts, I put them at the end as I want to be maximally fresh when lifting heavier.

But with lighter KBs, I found it useful to use them as a pre-exhaust

Warm Up

ATG split squats

Loading:

KB Sumo DLs

Loading:

Abs/Back:

Stretches:

Result:

I see the progression ends with a flat front heel.
Harder with the wedge?

Thank you. I used this movement between DL sets today and it was a real eye-opener. I thought my hip flexors were relatively loose and strong. Wrong. I will be using this move a lot through the winter. Looking forward to opening them up.

Yep.

I've also found it takes a lot of mental focus just to do the move correctly and smoothly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom