all posts post new thread

Barbell Hip pain on left side of hip

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

nesquikgains

First Post
I would say slightly over a month ago I started getting pain in only left side of my hip. It only happens when I reach just below parallel and I have only been training low bar with front squats also sometimes. Originally i thought this pain may of came when I tried sumo deadlifts for the first time and thought my lack of hip mobility may of brought the pain. My main 3 lifts are starting to get heavy from being on 5x5 for some time now. Conventional has always been the way I dead lift and am still able to, my hips do not hurt at all in this position. This pain only comes when my hips go into external rotation during the squat at slightly wider than shoulder width stance. I have not been squatting since and working on strengthening my glutes/hamstrings and hipdrive. Today when I tried squats again, I was able feel the pain coming back and I was still on the warmup weight only(135lbs). Anyone idea how serious this can be? Should I go see a doctor? This is my first real injury in all the time I've done sports/lifting

I believe 5x5 is too much volume once it starts to get heavy. So there's a start. I'd recommend 3x5.

Try narrowing your stance to shoulder with, toes turned out about 30 degrees, shove the knees out as you squat. Both on the way down and on the way up.

Might want to just take a few days off, see if the pain is there after a little rest and that adjustment. It doesn't sound like anything serious but you could always see a doctor for some reassurance. Really can't tell at a distance...

Last edited:
I believe 5x5 is too much volume once it starts to get heavy. So there's a start. I'd recommend 3x5.

Try narrowing your stance to shoulder with, toes turned out about 30 degrees, shove the knees out as you squat. Both on the way down and on the way up.

Might want to just take a few days off, see if the pain is there after a little rest and that adjustment. It doesn't sound like anything serious but you could always see a doctor for some reassurance. Really can't tell at a distance...
I appreciate the reply! I’ve actually considered starting 3x5 then moving on to 1x5 when it gets real heavy, I’ll start transitioning into the 3x5 now, maybe starting at a lighter weight as the hip is recovering. The slightly more narrow stance will definitely feel weird at first, you think high bar squat will help too? You also think squatting with a little pain is still okay implying I don’t go to heavy or should I try waiting for a full recovery? It’s really demotivating not being able to squat heavy as it’s my one of my favorite lifts

I appreciate the reply! I’ve actually considered starting 3x5 then moving on to 1x5 when it gets real heavy, I’ll start transitioning into the 3x5 now, maybe starting at a lighter weight as the hip is recovering. The slightly more narrow stance will definitely feel weird at first, you think high bar squat will help too? You also think squatting with a little pain is still okay implying I don’t go to heavy or should I try waiting for a full recovery? It’s really demotivating not being able to squat heavy as it’s my one of my favorite lifts

The answer to most of those questions depends on too many things to answer. As far as the programming (reps/sets/weight), that depends on what you have been doing, what your objectives are, what else you're doing, whether it's been working for you, etc.

I don't have any reason to think high bar would help with this issue, but it's another valid way to squat.

I can't recommend how to deal with the pain over the internet, but I'll say that I personally believe that in some situations if you find a movement pattern, range of motion, and weight that does not further aggravate the condition, it can resolve itself just as well if not better when you keep training as compared with when you rest. Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional and I have no idea what's going on with you, so the prudent advice is to get checked out by a medical professional.

If you'd like to post a video we could take a look at the form and see if there are any obvious issues there.

I agree, there's nothing that puts a big demand on the body like squatting heavy. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom