all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hip pain.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
I started running again last week, after a long lay off. I knew I had lost my, "running fitness", even though I had continued to work out with free weights, martial arts etc. So, baby steps. Almost literally: just one mile, at a pace barely above a fast walk. I even took a couple of breaks along the way. I felt fine.

This was on Saturday. On Sunday, I did S&S. Again, no problems, But since this morning, I've felt some pain and stiffness on the outside of my left hip. It's not all the time; my hip will hurt for 10 - 15 minutes, then the pain will fade away and I'll be fine for hours. But so far it's recurred throughout the day.

Anyone else experienced this? I think it's related to the running; I've never had hip pain with S&S, even when I was training 5 - 6 days a week last year, and Swinging the 32 kilo Bell.

Forum Moderators: apologies if this post is in the wrong forum. Obviously, feel free to move it as you see fit. Thanks.

I started running again last week, after a long lay off. I knew I had lost my, "running fitness", even though I had continued to work out with free weights, martial arts etc. So, baby steps. Almost literally: just one mile, at a pace barely above a fast walk. I even took a couple of breaks along the way. I felt fine.

This was on Saturday. On Sunday, I did S&S. Again, no problems, But since this morning, I've felt some pain and stiffness on the outside of my left hip. It's not all the time; my hip will hurt for 10 - 15 minutes, then the pain will fade away and I'll be fine for hours. But so far it's recurred throughout the day.

Anyone else experienced this? I think it's related to the running; I've never had hip pain with S&S, even when I was training 5 - 6 days a week last year, and Swinging the 32 kilo Bell.

Forum Moderators: apologies if this post is in the wrong forum. Obviously, feel free to move it as you see fit. Thanks.
If you are out of practice, work on getting your gait under control first and some miles under your feet. If you’re not walking, walk a lot, for several days/weeks.

After that, do some intervals. Walk 3 min, jog 1 for 6 rounds and so on. Play with the timing and amount of rounds etc… Keep it very slow. When do you run, practice keeping your knees bent and your foot fall below your hips, shoulders over hips, feet under hips.

As an aside I am huge fan of rucking. Very easy way to take a walk and turn it into more aerobic development and strength stimulus for the lower body. If you look at my log, you’ll see that I’m walking or rucking 3-4 miles a day or doing some walk/jog intervals. I firmly believe that rucking can also help condition and prepare your lower body for running.

Just like kettlebell (or other) training, it’s practice, it’s all practice. You’re training to have efficient gait.

When I get that, it's usually a tight TFL

Lie down on the floor. Roll on your side so that you are on your hip and both hips aligned. Flex the bottom leg at 90 degrees. Spine straight from head all the way to the tailbone. Lift the top leg using your glute medius 50 reps. Do both sides 3x times. Glute medius is responsible for stability and impact absorption and helping to keep it band issues at bay. Start doing 10 percent bodyweight hip flexion raises 20 reps both legs.
I got this routine down after having many years of knee and hip problems running.

This is when you realize how much you want healthy hips. I got something similar. For me it was the Gluteus Medius that suddenly had gotten too much. I would visit the Physio's. He/she can feel where you are tense.
I think Artallmighty's suggestion is great generally but would be too much right now.
My Physio suggested jog intervals in line with whar RyanT describes above.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom