all posts post new thread

Barbell Hips rising in squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

FinlayB

Level 5 Valued Member
Is there an allowance for hips rising in the squats when you are going heavy. Not the the extent that it becomes a good morning type movement but in general is a little hip rise allowed when reaching your 5 rep max or is any hip rise at all an indication that you have gone too heavy and are losing form?

It is possible that your hips are rising first because your body is organicly/unconciously moving into the proper position, a stronger position. Maybe you are not landing in the right spot on your descent.

Regards,

Eric

I think it depends on the the depth. I rest a bit on my calf during squat and when I come up I make my hips come first.
With other squat type I'm not sure.

I assume this is with barbell back squats? If so, this is not uncommon at heavier weights, and at the same time is not something you want to have happen regularly. IMO it's one of those things that you don't want to lose sleep over if it happens now and then on the heaviest sets, but if it's more than just occasional then it should be addressed.

This typically happens with long leg/short torso lifters such as myself. It can also occur if you’re trying to stay too upright on your descent.

I’m assuming you’re squatting low bar yes? If so, there should be a bit more of a horizontal torso lean to load the hips more. If you’re descending upright and ascending more good morning like, try pushing the hips back a bit more. Alas, if it’s a strength problem, often associated with the leverage disadvantage I mentioned above, front loaded squats that force a more upright torso will help such as front squats and zerchers. However, if you’re new to barbell squats and still learning the movement, best to practice the competition lift proper for a while.

Is there an allowance for hips rising in the squats when you are going heavy.

It's hard to say without seeing your Squat.

Not the the extent that it becomes a good morning type movement but in general is a little hip rise allowed when reaching your 5 rep max or is any hip rise at all an indication that you have one too heavy and are losing form?

How You Squat

It has to do with how you are built. Such as if you have a long or short torso, etc.

Tom Purvis, Physical Therapist, goes more into this in the video's below.

Squats Part 1: Fold-Ability and Proportions

Squats Part 2: Fold-Ability and Proportions (Examples and Adjustments)

Another factor is...

Vertical Bar Path

Dr Tom McLaughlin's (PhD Exercise Biomechanics) research determined that regardless of the amount of forward lean you have in a Squat, the bar needs to remain in a vertical path; the bar need to travel up.

The bar should not have a...

Horizontal Bar Movement

This means turning the movement into more of a Good Morning.

The predominate reason that the Good Morning Squat occurs is weak Quad and a strong back. The body's natural survival mechanism automatically shift the load to the strong muscles to ensure you get up in the Squat.

Ironically, most individual who see a Good Morning Squat believe the back is the weak link. Many then increase lower back training which makes it worse.

In a Good Morning Squat, the key is to increase Quad Strength.

Also, greater emphasis needs to be on Abdominal Training; which enable you to maintain a move Vertical Bar Path in the Squat.

As someone once said, "Increasing Abdominal Strength is like adding another set of Erector Back Muscles.

This brings back to...

Your Hips Rising

Again, it hard to say without seeing your Squat.

However, the hips rising is usually an indication the load is being shifted from the weaker Quads to the strong Lower Back.

Bench Press For Reps Contest Example

Years ago, i was helping at a Powerlifting Meet where they had a Bench Press For Reps Contest.

Most of the individuals Benching were right handed. As muscle fatigue set in, their right arm would lag in driving the weight up.

One of the lifters commented to me that it was strange that right handed individuals had weaker right arms, since the right lagged behind; which was incorrect.

Allowing the weaker left arm to go up first, shifted more of the load to the strong right arm. The same occurred with left handed individual.

The dominate/stronger left arm lagged behind, literally picking up more of the load.

Bench Press For Reps Contest Example

Years ago, i was helping at a Powerlifting Meet where they had a Bench Press For Reps Contest.

Most of the individuals Benching were right handed. As muscle fatigue set in, their right arm would lag in driving the weight up.

One of the lifters commented to me that it was strange that right handed individuals had weaker right arms, since the right lagged behind; which was incorrect.

Allowing the weaker left arm to go up first, shifted more of the load to the strong right arm. The same occurred with left handed individual.

The dominate/stronger left arm lagged behind, literally picking up more of the load.
Very interesting - I would love to see a video taken from straight behind the lifter, to see if the bar was shifting towards the dominant hand's side.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom