all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hiring an online trainer - why not?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
According to my survey on StrongFirst instructors group, it is about evenly split between live and correspondence with captured footage.

View attachment 10124

My preference is uploaded videos, which has two advantages for me (or my clients/students):
- It gives the possibility to watch several times and also take screenshots for better feedback
- It still keeps the schedule of the client/student independent of the trainer (which is to me one of the advantages of online training).

In addition I could schedule a regular a live session to catch up with feedback/wishes/plans.

I went with other.
I would be very concerned the trainer would not be willing to work with me as/on individual goals and might just hand me their version of "safe" programming. The added distance might inhibit an individual investment from the trainer.

I'm also getting a good look at how a lot of the real-time video conferencing tools work and many are very buggy, I don't need Max Headroom for a personal trainer.

All that said I'd be willing to give it a try if I really felt I needed it - as a brand it almost needs to be built separately from the general fitness-worthiness of the rest of your product. "They provide great remote instruction!" is more important than "The program is great but seems like a lot gets lost in a remote session."

According to my survey on StrongFirst instructors group, it is about evenly split between live and correspondence with captured footage.

View attachment 10124
Hi Anna,

I'm a coach and I've seen so many different models -- none are perfect, yet they all work. I'm finally taking my own advice and working with people that like what I have to say. I cannot remember the last time I felt like I was selling . . . I ask questions and tell stories. It either makes sense to the client or not. We find out if we're a fit on our initial / discovery call.

We have a couple calls (usually Zoom) per month with "quick-calls" if something comes up, or they send video clips to check form. I use TrueCoach to program and message, but also use text and email . . . whichever they're most comfortable with. I don't compete with the Instagram trainers that sell a month of programming for a lower price point, it just doesn't interest me. I like the coaching component -- it does take more time so it's not scalable. I also have a coach and we use FaceTime and email.

The delivery method really stumped me for a while; the app, video or not, membership platforms, how accessible should I be, how much do I charge . . . I was so stuck in what to do I did nothing unless it feel in my lap. The marketing piece can be hard, especially if you do not have clear messaging. But if your message is clear and you consistently share the message, your business will grow.

I'm not sure anything I said here will help, and I've done way more wrong than right in this transition from in-person to online, but if I can help in any way, please let me know.

Theoretically, the client-coach match could be enhanced with a general SF platform. And as this discussion shows, it is probably the most important factor.

It would, I guess, depend on enough demand.

It would depend on some clarity on the client's end, too. Like: "I want to snatch heavy at the TSC and like a no-BS teaching style that gets to the point". Or: "I want to lose fat with safe ballistics and intelligent programming and want encouraging, gentle coaching." Of course that is prototypical and probably not realistic.

However, maybe the coaching style, main modalities and personality of a trainer could be highlighted, or supported by short introduction vids. Or maybe a SF agency could work, that would match a client to the right coach.

This is just some rough brainstorming and maybe it will trigger some further ideas.

Just a thought... People post and ask questions on this forum all the time. That is the point of a forum.

For example, "How do I combine S&S and deadlifting to get strong and lose fat"... I just made this up but I'm sure somebody has posted something similar to this. In addition to everybody responding and bombarding the person with their opinions, could that person be directed to an online coach for help? Even if the coach is helping for free, at first, the coach gets an opportunity to get his foot in the door with a potential new client.

This really makes me question my involvement on this forum. I am not in the health/excersise industry. This is just a hobby or lifestyle for me. If I respond to a post offering my opinion, I may be taking a business opportunity away from an online coach. It's better to direct that person to somebody that is willing to help them long term.

There also may be business value to SF. If SF had a great system to pair up SF certified coaches with clients, using this forum, it could translate into more sales for them.

Regards,

Eric

There also may be business value to SF. If SF had a great system to pair up SF certified coaches with clients, using this forum, it could translate into more sales for them.

I love this, and I agree.

Something like the "Shipping Wars" model of an online bidding system, like I mentioned earlier:

This really makes me question my involvement on this forum. I am not in the health/excersise industry. This is just a hobby or lifestyle for me. If I respond to a post offering my opinion, I may be taking a business opportunity away from an online coach. It's better to direct that person to somebody that is willing to help them long term.

I think about this, too. But I think that overall, a helpful community here helps grow the market. I'd rather provide help here and keep someone in the community that may seek more later, than tell them the only way they can get answers is to pay for them.

But yes, if we had a way to direct people towards a better resource, we could do both -- provide an a initial input, and a way to get a better and longer-lasting solution.

I respectfully disagree, @william bad butt. The forum is used for different things by different people. Please continue to use it as you have been, to both ask questions and offer advice.

The best way to explain why StrongFirst doesn't worry about this (that you offering opinions here might take away business from a professional trainer) would be the expression, "A riding tide floats all boats." This forum's reputation for giving good advice and having none of the usual Internet nonsense is something that attracts people to StrongFirst and, in the end, is good for everyone's business, both SrongFirst as a company and the trainers we certify. The latter can and do find more and more students seeking out StrongFirst Certified Instructors for personal and group instruction as our overall visibility and good reputation grows.

-S-

The best way to explain why StrongFirst doesn't worry about this (that you offering opinions here might take away business from a professional trainer) would be the expression, "A riding tide floats all boats." This forum's reputation for giving good advice and having none of the usual Internet nonsense is something that attracts people to StrongFirst and, in the end, is good for everyone's business, both SrongFirst as a company and the trainers we certify. The latter can and do find more and more students seeking out StrongFirst Certified Instructors for personal and group instruction as our overall visibility and good reputation grows.
So well said and spot on. The reason I am on a path to start paying Strong First professionals (once our crisis is over) is the credibility of the organization and its knowledge-base that I came to trust through this forum.

As a passionate amateur, I do try to be very careful to give advice only on topics where I am well informed and try to source it wherever possible. But let's all try to do what we can to keep this community thriving. It really is the best place on the internet.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom