all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 'hiss' breathing when doing swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

nish1013

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi,
Could someone direct me to a video to learn 'hiss' breathing when doing swings ?
Or at least some description.

Thank you

Woo-Hoo!!! It worked. So far so good. I will leave it to others who are more qualified to comment on form swing but the breathing just needs some "tightness" i.e. brace your abs and glutes HARD at top of swing and keep much of the tension at the bottom (esp abs as reversing direction in the hinge will tend to flex your glutes). Then you breathe behind that muscle tension ("breathing behind the shield"). If you keep your teeth together and make a sort of tssst sound on the exhale that will help with proper tension. Hmmm, maybe those "others" have better description of the breathing as well...?

Woo-Hoo!!! It worked. So far so good. I will leave it to others who are more qualified to comment on form swing but the breathing just needs some "tightness" i.e. brace your abs and glutes HARD at top of swing and keep much of the tension at the bottom (esp abs as reversing direction in the hinge will tend to flex your glutes). Then you breathe behind that muscle tension ("breathing behind the shield"). If you keep your teeth together and make a sort of tssst sound on the exhale that will help with proper tension. Hmmm, maybe those "others" have better description of the breathing as well...?
yeah ! :)

If you keep your teeth together and make a sort of tssst sound on the exhale that will help with proper tension

This is what I need to feel , correct tension. I don't feel much stronger with current breathing( or feel too relaxed ) . Seems like my energy is leaking at some point .

You can't do better than Pavel for instructions!

To associate that type of breathing with swings, I think maybe best to "just do it" and not think about it much at all. When you lift something heavy, really heavy, you naturally (or should!) inhale as you grab it and get your posture set, then get TIGHT, and then and only then lift and tsst out a little air as you lift. For the swing, just inhale as you hike the bell or go into the hinge part of each swing, then tight, explosive exhale as you drive hips forward and the bell comes up. Brace in plank position only vertical at top of swing and then as gravity starts to do its thing and the kb starts falling back down, take another sniff of air in. Repeat...

You can't do better than Pavel for instructions!

To associate that type of breathing with swings, I think maybe best to "just do it" and not think about it much at all. When you lift something heavy, really heavy, you naturally (or should!) inhale as you grab it and get your posture set, then get TIGHT, and then and only then lift and tsst out a little air as you lift. For the swing, just inhale as you hike the bell or go into the hinge part of each swing, then tight, explosive exhale as you drive hips forward and the bell comes up. Brace in plank position only vertical at top of swing and then as gravity starts to do its thing and the kb starts falling back down, take another sniff of air in. Repeat...

Thank you.

I just uploaded few videos to Vimeo.

Below are the urls and password is

kettlebellswing4ever

I am certainly no expert but in second video above, the side view what you are doing with your knees makes mine hurt. It appears to me to be violent hyperextension and over time that has to do damage. Focus on your hips and driving them forward and knees will pretty much take care of them selves. Once your legs are straight, further flexing of quads I think will pull knee caps up. Hopefully someone else sees this and can come up with better cues.

Hello,

@nish1013
I am not a pro, far from it, but I would try to do a deeper hip throw. To more you throw, the more the bell "floats" on the top of the curve.

Plus, the more you drive on the hips, the less you tax your knees and the more you engages your core.

Kind regards,

Pet

Hi @nish1013

You have the breathing mostly right, but try making it a bit earlier in the upswing. The forceful "tsss" breath should come at the point of most exertion, and that should be just as the kettlebell is passing through your legs and your hips are snapping to full extension.

Your swing looks pretty good. A heavier bell will make it look even better. I agree with @pet' , work towards a bit deeper hip hinge on the bottom, and then be a bit more patient at the top, let it float and then guide it back down with the lats.

I agree with @GeoffreyLevens on the legs. Try to bring the legs smoothly to a position of tightness in the standing plank. Practice moving from hinge to plank without a kettlebell and being tight in the plank.

Thank you all

I tried again , with my new 16kg competition bell :)

Password: kettlebellswing4ever

Looking good @nish1013

There's still room for improvement, but that is true for us all. Keep practicing! You're doing well.

Are you doing S&S? Keep reading about the swing and working on all of its nuances. There are also lots of good articles on the StrongFirst blog.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom