all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Hit The Deck! Pushup program and what to do after?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mikhael

Level 9 Valued Member
Hi,
I have a question regarding the Hit The Deck! program from Beyond Bodybuilding. I've been following the plan since last week, and so far I increased my RM by 16% from 45 to 52 reps. Not but, but there is one more test incoming after the second week with the plan. In the book, Pavel wrote that good practice is to switch the Hit The Deck! program after 2 week into a plan more focused on strength. And I'm wondering what to choose regarding pushups? Would a One-Arm Pushup plan be a good option? My goal is 80 pushups.
@Karen Smith would you please share you opinion regarding OAPU and would it be beneficial to switch to it for some time?

Last edited:
yup - GtG OAP from NW would be good if you don't have access to Bench Press for about 2-4 weeks.
Alternating between the two high volume and high intensity builds healthy tendons.

80 pushups is a very reasonable goal if you keep cycling.

yup - GtG OAP from NW would be good if you don't have access to Bench Press for about 2-4 weeks.
Alternating between the two high volume and high intensity builds healthy tendons.

80 pushups is a very reasonable goal if you keep cycling.
Thank you for the answer. I think I will go into OAP GTG.

The one arm pushup is an amazingly effective strength builder with absolutely no equipment!

Undoubtedly, yet the goal is to hit 80 reps in single set.
Keep in mind that Pavel cautions against high tension techniques with high reps in the same chapter, except for the last few reps in a test set. So the two approaches are really complementary:
Pavel in Beyond Bodybuilding said:
Try to rest your muscles on the way down; a good endurance athlete knows how to let his limbs recover between strides. Find your rhythm ASAP and stick to it. Rhythmical activity takes a lot less energy than a non-rhythmical one, thanks to something called ‘the central pattern generators’ in your nervous system.

Take advantage of the elastic rebound on the bottom. This is not a bench press meet; you will not get red-lighted if you fail to pause.

When you are almost at the end of the rope – this applies only to your 100% test sets! – it is time to pull out the heavy artillery of the ‘High-Tension Techniques’ explained in my book The Naked Warrior.

@Bauer , in the book Pavel wrote about rotating plans that are focus around high volume with those with low volume. That is why I decided to kicked off OAPU for 2-3 weeks. I have hope that this approach will have positive effect on later high volume plan.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom