all posts post new thread

Nutrition Hit the Target experience and questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

rvaldrich

Level 5 Valued Member
Howdy y'all. Been a minute. Currently doing Hit the Target diet (The "Hit the Target" Fat Loss Plan | StrongFirst) and it's been going okay. Doing it more to kind of reprogram my eating but fat loss is very welcome.

I have noticed a very consistent weight fluctuation which I find very curious. My weight will drop for three days after the Jolly Day, and then it will go back for 2-3 days. Just a pound or two, but it always does this. Then, the decline will begin again. It's very odd but very consistent.

Additionally, I am contemplating making this my default diet. I'm trying to suss out what changes I'd need to make. Have a Jolly Day on the same weight rather than after the next target? Have some legumes or something with dinner? Anybody have any advice or experience with this? The Hit the Target diet is very similar to the Slow-Carb diet which I like a lot, so it fits well. It just the cheat days turned into binge days, so I needed to recalibrate.

Anywho, happy training y'all.

@rvaldrich, your post caused me to reread Fabio's diet article (link in your post above). I have to tell you that my first conclusion, even before I reached the end of the article, was, "No way I'd ever do this." So that it sounds like it's been working for you is a good thing, but let's also say that we're each an experiment of one.

As to how to make it work on an ongoing basis, I think that could be as simple as upping the target number of points to something that maintains your body's weight rather than making it go down. Perhaps try increasing the range of "points" the article suggests by 10% and see how that works out for you.

I'm a 67.5 kg (148.7 lb) powerlifter, but am one of those whose dietary preferences are largely opposite of what's in the article. While I do up my protein and lower my carbs when cutting weight in advance of a meet, the most I walk around at it 154 lbs, (70 kg) and dropping 6 lb (2.5 kg) is a whole lot easier than dropping the 20 lbs Fabio did. But I otherwise love dairy products and prefer a diet that favors fat over protein, and most of my dietary fat comes from dairy products.

I will mention this thread to Fabio.

-S-

I have noticed a very consistent weight fluctuation which I find very curious. My weight will drop for three days after the Jolly Day, and then it will go back for 2-3 days. Just a pound or two, but it always does this. Then, the decline will begin again. It's very odd but very consistent.
Actually this is what happens to pretty much everyone who follows this plan. After your Jolly day you go back to a low carb protocol and you lose some weight, which is mostly water that was bound with glycogen. After that sudden weight drop your body starts preventing excessive water loss and initiates an hormonal response that lead you to gain back part of the weight you lost. Then, after that fluctuation, your body balances everything again ad you gradually start losing weight again. And this final one is your real fat loss. The rest is your body's response to the Jolly day.

Additionally, I am contemplating making this my default diet. I'm trying to suss out what changes I'd need to make. Have a Jolly Day on the same weight rather than after the next target? Have some legumes or something with dinner? Anybody have any advice or experience with this? The Hit the Target diet is very similar to the Slow-Carb diet which I like a lot, so it fits well. It just the cheat days turned into binge days, so I needed to recalibrate.
I would personally suggest against keeping this plan as your default diet. It's a VLCD with high protein, low carbs and low fat. It is not sustainable in the long term, IMO. For maintenance purposes you should consider a less dramatic protocol. I like the slow carb diet very much, by the way.

I hope this helps

@rvaldrich, I think Fabio and I took your question in two different ways. When you say, "default diet," do you mean your normal way of eating when not trying to lose weight - that's how I took it - or do you mean the way you'll eat whenever you need to lose weight. "Diet" is one of those words that gets used both ways so please clarify this for us.

Thanks.

-S-

It just the cheat days turned into binge days, so I needed to recalibrate.
Personal unqualified opinion here. I like the SCD (high fiber and protein is magic). But for me making small changes to something that is almost working is easier than switching everything to something new. Maybe turn cheat day into cheat meal? Or, I think Tim suggests this, keep your normal slow carb breakfast and have the rest of the day whatever you want. (refer to his damage control section of the 4hb book)

Also try to apply some of Josh Hillis's eating skills approach to the cheat day. Eat the cheat meals, but make sure they take minimum 20 minutes to consume and don't snacking. If you are hungry between meals, eat more protein and fruit/veggies with each cheat meal.

That is pretty much what I had to do when I got stuck in the SCD cycle of losing and gaining the same weight every week.

Fabio and I spoke and he explained his answer to me - I think he will also reply again here.

-S-

Fabio and I spoke and he explained his answer to me - I think he will also reply again here.

The problem with the Hit The Target Diet is that it is a protocol that is not balanced among macronutrients, meaning that proteins are really high, while fats are very low. Simply increasing the points isn't enough, IMO, as still fats would be too low to make the diet sustainable and healthy in the long term. This is why I suggested against it.

Steve, Fabio, Silver, I super-appreciate the input.
And yes, Steve, you had the right meaning when I said default diet. Were it not for a sweet tooth, this diet is very comfortable for me. I was curious about sticking to it with minimal changes but based off Fabio's recommendations, that would likely be unwise.

I may likely try to incorporate the Jolly Day's approach to cheat meals for the Slow-Carb. But whereas Silver said he was caught gaining and losing the same weight, I was seeing mine creep up despite strict adherence. Even doing as he suggested (Slow-Carb breakfast, eating slowly), didn't seem to matter. I did try the cheat meal instead of day but that was inefficient for me psychologically.

Thank you all again. I'm sticking with this to April and I do think it's helped rebalance my relationship with food, which was more valuable to me than the fat loss...but I am vain, so the fat loss has been nice too. Thanks!

Happy training!

Good discussion. I have been on this HIT THE TARGET dies for about 30 days and plan to go the full 60. I started at 201 pounds, have been as low as 194, and am at 196 today.

I feel as lean as I have ever felt even though its only been 5-7 pounds. More importantly I feel like I truly losing fat and not a significant amount of muscle as my lifts have not been negatively effected.

I wish there was another measuring stick to evaluate success besides the scale. I believe the diet is working well for me as I feel and look leaner, also feel a ton more energy but the scale can play mind tricks on all of us.

Have those body fat %/impedance scales finally become reliable?

Have those body fat %/impedance scales finally become reliable?
No

The Impedance Scales are inaccurate.

The Protocol

The direction tell you that to obtain you most accurate reading you should…
  1. Have not Exercised about three hour before taking the reading.
  2. Have not eaten about three hours before taking the reading.
  3. You are well hydrated. Thus, a better reading occurs later in the day when you are well hydrated rather in the morning when you are hydrated that well.
Site Sensitive

Another interesting bit of information is the BIA devises tend to be Site Sensitive.

Scales: The BIA Scales are more sensitive to lower body fat.

If you store more body fat in your lower body, you reading will be higher.

If you store less body fat in your lower body, your reading will be low.

Hand Held Devices: They are more upper body sensitive.

If you store more body fat in your upper body, you reading will be higher.

If you store less body fat in your lupper body, your reading will be low.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom