all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Hlr critique and help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kb02

Level 3 Valued Member
Been just practicing this with my bw/kB routine. I think I'm getting closer any feedback or comments are much appreciated ! @karensmith ? Maybe if you have time.

Last edited:
Not bad, just keep your arms completely straight from start to finish. Think of folding like a clam....pushing straight arm as if trying to brake the bar (lat recruitment) to you feet while pulling feet to bar.

Been just practicing this with my bw/kB routine. I think I'm getting closer any feedback or comments are much appreciated ! @karensmith ? Maybe if you have time.
It was hard for me to tell if you were looking straight ahead the entire time, but if you weren't, that's always been a requirement as far as I know.

-S-

Your (straight) knees would pretty much touch your face on a Hanging Leg Lift, so a pike is kind of a prerequisite.

V-Ups and Seated Pike Lifts are great exercises for working on compression/clamshell strength without having to involve the lats and grip.

To add to what Karen said, think about touching the bar at your feet or ankles - that will help you fold the right way.

-S-

I'll echo @Machete . Actually, I'm not a fan of the cue about pushing the bar in front of you. All that will do is closer the shoulder angle, make your upper body parallel to the ground and make you end it in a semi Front Leverish position.

On the other hand, focus on doing the work purely with your hips and lift the toes as high as you can while keeping the shoulder angle as open as possible (aka upper body is perpendicular to the ground).

The degree in which you achieve that above depends on your flexibility and abdominal strength of course. Beginners might have to close their angle excessively to touch the bar (what some call Shin to Bars). As you improve your pike, attempt to clean it up. More perpendicular upper body, less lean back, less bar in front. A good milestone for the regular person would be an Ankle to Bar.

Some gymnasts are so strong and flexible they can do actual Toes to bar or even thread their toes through with straight legs (!). You don't have to get there to get great benefits but the closer you attempt to get there, the better no?

And yeah, straight arms.

Toes. No one has mentioned them. Point or not to point?
Not that I can get a solid toes to bar at all but I always point my toes but maybe it isn't universal. Solid ring l-sit, or floor for that matter, pointed toes wins in my experimenting - better ab engagement and tighter overall - but maybe it differs with a deeper position? I dunno, but looks prettier!

Toes. No one has mentioned them. Point or not to point?
Not that I can get a solid toes to bar at all but I always point my toes but maybe it isn't universal. Solid ring l-sit, or floor for that matter, pointed toes wins in my experimenting - better ab engagement and tighter overall - but maybe it differs with a deeper position? I dunno, but looks prettier!

I point. Provides slack in the hamstrings and more space for the pike. Also allows one to focus on really extending out the legs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom