all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Holiday Arm Wrestling

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Baron von Raschke

Level 3 Valued Member
I haven't posted much lately but thought everyone might like this holiday story from xmas eve.

My sister-in-law and her husband (I'll call him Brother-in law No. 1) have been seeing an expensive personal trainer for some time now. I've been following S&S for a while, though lately time constraints have reduced it to more of a maintenance workout. Over the last year and a half I've been coaching my wife through KB swings. She has bad knees and a foot injury but through my amateurish tutelage (and much advice from this board) has worked her way up from 8kg swings to where she's now doing 16kg swings comfortably.

On xmas eve my sister-in-law was asking everyone to feel her arms. She was pretty proud of herself and I asked her what she'd been doing. Her PT was having her do isolation lifts with mostly machines, I believe. Her arms felt great, I have to admit. So at some point her and my wife decided to arm wrestle. I had an immediate reaction of Strongfirst vs. conventional expensive gym workouts, clash of cultures, my amateurish coaching versus a pro, all these competitions zipped through my head. My wife flattened her! It was tense at first but my wife wore her down and was victorious.

So now apparently, the husbands had to go at it. B-I-L No. 1 outweighs me by about 30 lbs (155 to 185) and is going to the same personal trainer as his wife, so I was nervous but couldn't back down. He's also an experienced handy man with the forearms of a carpenter so I thought the deck was stacked against me. And I'm lefty and we were wrestling right-handed. Anyway, I got off to a fast start and gradually put him down. Another victory for kettlebells! He then wrestled B-I-L No. 2, who is about my size but doesn't work out. B-I-L No. 1 won easily. My sister-in-law then beat their remaining sister, so that put my wife and I at the top of the heap. Later on I beat B-I-L No. 1 with my left hand, too.

Now my father-in-law, who'd been watching closely, wanted to arm wrestle me. He's 220 lbs, only about 7 years older than me and has been working out most of his life, using a variety of systems over the years. I gave a pretty good account of myself but lost in the end. The good news is, his arm was sore the rest of the evening, lol.

Anyway, that's it for my holiday hijinks. I'm very very pleased with my and my wife's performance. We went up against some "dreaded" gym rats and came out victorious, using only our little kettlebells. Incidentally, my wife's swings looked very good to me last night. I think she may have gotten the realization that hey, these things really work!

Happy holidays, everyone!

I dabble in a bit of arm wrestling when the opportunity arises.

When I was 17 we had an arm wrestling comp going at the local pub (I was underage but I'd been drinking there since the age of 15 (old enough to work, old enough to drink;)) with the guys around my age in my social circle at the time.

I took on everyone and beat them all with my right arm but then I came up against a lefty who'd been doing it for almost a year at his boarding house with a lot of older guys. I got stuck with my forearm locked at about 45 deg and him bearing down on me in with my forearm in external rotation for about three minutes and eventually he overpowered me. I had really intense pain around my anterior deltoid area from that moment on .A few days later I played football - rugby league and suffered my first shoulder dislocation. I'm sure I tore a rotator cuff arm wrestling with the lefty that night at the pub.

These days I do my own version of bullet proof shoulders with supine diagonal kettlebelll pullovers and I can beat much larger blokes without too much trouble, but if I ever get locked up in that vulnerable external rotation position for any more than about 10 seconds I just concede so I get out with my shoulders in tact.

I've seen some really horrific injuries from arm wrestling so be careful.

If you are in any way queazy about seeing people injure themselves do yourself a favour and DON'T watch this.

When I was 17 we had an arm wrestling comp going at the local pub (I was underage but I'd been drinking there since the age of 15 (old enough to work, old enough to drink;)) with the guys around my age in my social circle at the time.

I took on everyone and beat them all with my right arm but then I came up against a lefty who'd been doing it for almost a year at his boarding house with a lot of older guys. I got stuck with my forearm locked at about 45 deg and him bearing down on me in with my forearm in external rotation for about three minutes and eventually he overpowered me. I had really intense pain around my anterior deltoid area from that moment on .A few days later I played football - rugby league and suffered my first shoulder dislocation. I'm sure I tore a rotator cuff arm wrestling with the lefty that night at the pub.

These days I do my own version of bullet proof shoulders with supine diagonal kettlebelll pullovers and I can beat much larger blokes without too much trouble, but if I ever get locked up in that vulnerable external rotation position for any more than about 10 seconds I just concede so I get out with my shoulders in tact.

If you are in any way queazy about seeing people injure themselves do yourself a favour and DON'T watch this.

Thanks for the warning Tarzan, there is no way I'm watching this video. Much of my nerves at the in-laws house was due to fear of injury. We're all at least in our mid-40's (I'm 49) and none of us arm wrestle regularly. Perfect recipe for someone hurting themselves, particularly because most of us had been working out to some degree and can apply a decent amount of force. I was mostly worried about an elbow injury but a rotator cuff would also do the trick. I can't watch professional arm wrestling since I saw one of the female wrestlers break her arm many years ago. But as we know, sometimes pride overwhelms any fear of getting hurt.

Hope you enjoyed the story, that will be my last arm wrestling contest.

@Baron von Raschke, it's good you didn't beat your father-in-law - just sayin'. :)

-S-
100% correct Steve, lol. And especially in his own house where he was hosting all of us. If I'd have won it would have set up an open ended series of rematches until he'd finally beaten me. And then it would be back to Tarzan's point about injuries. Several years ago he was in a serious bike accident that broke both of his wrists, some ribs and ruptured a biceps tendon which required surgery. Don't remember which arm had surgery but he's been saying he limits his workouts. Doesn't do pullups anymore, for example. But what I'm saying is, a future injury from arm wrestling him might not be to me. As you said, good thing he won.

I haven't posted much lately but thought everyone might like this holiday story from xmas eve.

My sister-in-law and her husband (I'll call him Brother-in law No. 1) have been seeing an expensive personal trainer for some time now. I've been following S&S for a while, though lately time constraints have reduced it to more of a maintenance workout. Over the last year and a half I've been coaching my wife through KB swings. She has bad knees and a foot injury but through my amateurish tutelage (and much advice from this board) has worked her way up from 8kg swings to where she's now doing 16kg swings comfortably.

On xmas eve my sister-in-law was asking everyone to feel her arms. She was pretty proud of herself and I asked her what she'd been doing. Her PT was having her do isolation lifts with mostly machines, I believe. Her arms felt great, I have to admit. So at some point her and my wife decided to arm wrestle. I had an immediate reaction of Strongfirst vs. conventional expensive gym workouts, clash of cultures, my amateurish coaching versus a pro, all these competitions zipped through my head. My wife flattened her! It was tense at first but my wife wore her down and was victorious.

So now apparently, the husbands had to go at it. B-I-L No. 1 outweighs me by about 30 lbs (155 to 185) and is going to the same personal trainer as his wife, so I was nervous but couldn't back down. He's also an experienced handy man with the forearms of a carpenter so I thought the deck was stacked against me. And I'm lefty and we were wrestling right-handed. Anyway, I got off to a fast start and gradually put him down. Another victory for kettlebells! He then wrestled B-I-L No. 2, who is about my size but doesn't work out. B-I-L No. 1 won easily. My sister-in-law then beat their remaining sister, so that put my wife and I at the top of the heap. Later on I beat B-I-L No. 1 with my left hand, too.

Now my father-in-law, who'd been watching closely, wanted to arm wrestle me. He's 220 lbs, only about 7 years older than me and has been working out most of his life, using a variety of systems over the years. I gave a pretty good account of myself but lost in the end. The good news is, his arm was sore the rest of the evening, lol.

Anyway, that's it for my holiday hijinks. I'm very very pleased with my and my wife's performance. We went up against some "dreaded" gym rats and came out victorious, using only our little kettlebells. Incidentally, my wife's swings looked very good to me last night. I think she may have gotten the realization that hey, these things really work!

Happy holidays, everyone!

Sounds like the 'Feats of Strength' at the end of Festivus!

Cool story, Bro.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom