all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Holiday / break

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sebastien

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi there,

I've been recommended the S&S protocol at the start of the pandemic. Bought myself some kettlebells and have practiced every day since.

I am currently at the following level :
One side swings 28kg * 10/10 (actually I am waiting for the 32kg kettlebell to be delivered mid-october)
Get ups 24kg /5

Moving up @ glacial speed.

However : My mother's decided that X-mas is going to be spent in Austria. (Who can disagree with their mum). There is no way I can take two kettlebells in the train (is there?) and it doesn't look like a place close to a StrongFirst center.

How would you pick up the practice again after a two weeks break ?

Hi there,

I've been recommended the S&S protocol at the start of the pandemic. Bought myself some kettlebells and have practiced every day since.

I am currently at the following level :
One side swings 28kg * 10/10 (actually I am waiting for the 32kg kettlebell to be delivered mid-october)
Get ups 24kg /5

Moving up @ glacial speed.

However : My mother's decided that X-mas is going to be spent in Austria. (Who can disagree with their mum). There is no way I can take two kettlebells in the train (is there?) and it doesn't look like a place close to a StrongFirst center.

How would you pick up the practice again after a two weeks break ?
I had to take 10 day breaks due to work trips. I came up with a minimalist maintenance routine:

Single leg dead lift with my luggage.
Push ups
Bodyweight squats
Lots of walking

Nothing fancy but I didnt feel I lost much when I returned.

A two week break is nothing to worry about.

You will not lose much if anything during this time.

Train hard in the lead up to the break. Start to work in the 32kg in a timeless fashion. About a month before the break add in one day a week where you push yourself to work against the clock. Easiest way to do this it to work EMOM. Every minute on the minute.

Good luck!

Work on isometrics and bodyweight movements, you can do these every single day:

* Handstand (up against a wall so you can get more time under tension)
* Pushups (Negative holds at the bottom)
* Wall Sits
* Hollow position holds
* Getups (slow with no weight)
* Crawling (forwards, backwards, sideways)

I think I've take 2 week breaks and it's never been an issue.

Perhaps I scaled back up by doing less sets before back to S&S with 10x10 and 5x2, but 2 weeks has never been that much of an issue for me

Where in Australia will you be staying? We have a massive strongfirst community over there

Have a nice holiday, enjoy it. Forget regimented training. If you want to exercise, do something fun.

A two week break is nothing to worry about.

You will not lose much if anything during this time.

Train hard in the lead up to the break. Start to work in the 32kg in a timeless fashion. About a month before the break add in one day a week where you push yourself to work against the clock. Easiest way to do this it to work EMOM. Every minute on the minute.

Good luck!
I'll work to get on that level before the break...

@Sebastien, on our instructor search I show five in Austria, and depending where you'll be, we have a lot of people in neighboring countries.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom