all posts post new thread

Old Forum Home Gym

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
So I have a second bedroom with a power rack, barbell & weights, kettlebells, and a couple of sandbags (plus a Jungle Gym suspension trainer and various tubes and bands).  About two years ago it hit me that I was never going to put a barbell across my back again...I had turned 50 and realized that everything I wanted to do in terms of strength and conditioning I could do with kettlebells, bodyweight drills,  and sandbags. Back then it had already been at least two years since I'd used the weights and the reality finally set in.

It isn't that freeweights are so bad, but the thing is, though I'd enjoyed using them, I didn't enjoy them or find them as easy to stick with as the other tools...so I'm getting rid of the freeweights but I'm keeping the power rack, I use it all the time with the Jungle Gym, for pull ups, sometimes even hang a light punching bag from it on occasion.

Joseph

It depends if your gym is a powerlifting/weightlifting/strongman gym with focused, like-minded people who train hard and support and coach each other, or a 24 hour fitness centre where you have to fight for the squat rack, unrack other peoples weights and get distracted by idiots doing stupid things.

At home you can have the things you need and nothing else. Turn the pumping music off, put your phone away and lift.

Or you can train while cooking dinner or grilling a steak like I do some nights ...fit training in around life instead of putting it off for another day.

Yep - I'm a bit tired of cleaning up (other peoples) weights on the floor and squat rack every morning I get to the gym.  I like the idea too of fitting training around life.

I couldn't imagine lifting anywhere other than my garage. I hate gyms, I don't lift or train to talk to people or compete in the mirror. I lift because I love lifting, it's my release and my garage is the best gym on this planet.

Anyone know where I can get a blob from? I'm in uk.

Kettlebells: 16, 24, 32

Pull up bar

Floor space in den, bedroom, or spare room.

Simplicity makes me focused and happy.

Many sound strange or silly but there is a big part of me that wants to build a pavilion in my back yard and have an outdoor gym.  I want the roof to obviously keep the rain or sun off of me but also have it tall enough to put a rope in the rafters to climb.

All I would put out there is a heavy bag, pull up bar, dip station, a bar with weights for deadlifts and my kettlebells and rope climb.

If only I had the money...

Not strange or silly - I'd do the exact same.   I'm slowly starting to stockpile some gear...

My backyard/Porch

Pull up/Dip station

Kettlebells 8kg,2x16kg,2x24kg,32kg

Olympic Bar and plates

Standard bar and plates

T-Handle

Sandbags

Jump Rope

Heavy Bag

Radio

I'm set.

My motivation for taking my training "in house" despite training with one of the best was twofold: I wanted to prove to myself that I wouldn't puss out; and I wanted to do "famous" programs and experience their effects and train for narrower qualities if I chose to. Turned out that the second factor took care of the first - I love doing programs, so motivation isn't a problem. I had collected doubles of 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 20, 24, 28, and 32, a cheap used barbell and 300# of plates from a used sporting goods store, and 4 of the 3/4" stall mats from Tractor Supply. I built a pull-up bar out of  steel pipe (if it sucks, but it works - it doesn't suck). I continually scour Craigslist and found a Kettlebells USA Beast, a Lifeline 40 and two RKC 16s to add to my collection, so all I'm missing is a 44.

And perhaps best of all - I don't have to listen to ANY music let alone that atrocious kill the puppies speed metal you kids listen to these days. Get off my lawn!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom