all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

Iso day:
warmed up with sandbag burpees to power clean to give my left Achilles tendon a break from jumping rope. Might sub those in for kb snatches on my circuit day.

Feeling very energetic lately, need to curb my enthusiasm and just stay on the program. This is where all those extra calories hopefully begin to go toward construction instead of burning up in the stove.

25seconds on, 35seconds off
Pec crossing low R,L
Straight leg anterior extension R,L
Pec crossing high, R,L
Bent leg anterior flexion R,L

Cross pull low R,L
Straight leg posterior extension R,L
Cross pull high R,L
Bent leg posterior flexion R,L

Lateral arm raise low R,L
Doorway anterior push R,L
Lateral arm raise high R,L
Doorway posterior push R,L

cossack stretch to
lizard stretch
seated twist
hamstring stretch

Vita-ray day. Am beginning to feel like I could shorten rest periods but will keep them as is for now. Currently everything is clicking, I need to let it gel for a few before making any real changes. Might adopt cluster sets again for my sandbag resistance days in lieu of pyramids.

Jumprope HIIT -

5 minute warmup

12 repeats - 20sec on, 40 seconds off @ 3 beats/second

cossack stretch to
lizard stretch
seated twist
hamstring stretch

Subb'd out two sets of upper and one lower for a couple of cluster sets, felt good and didn't seem to add a whole lot of time.

Warmup:
sandbag purpees 60# x20

sandbag frontloaders 60# x6
Skater squat 60lbs x8
sandbag frontloaders 60# Clusterset 3/3/3 @10 sec intervals
Skater squat x10
sandbag frontloaders 60# CS 4/4/4/3
Skater squat x10

sandbag rear shoulder pull 60# x7
hamstring extensions 20lb x6
sandbag rear shoulder pull 60# CS 3/3/3
hamstring extensions 20lb x8
sandbag rear shoulder pull 60# CS 4/4/4/4
hamstring extensions 20lb CS 4/4/4

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch to lizard
tricep press 50 lbs x10
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep press 35lbs x10

Circuit HIT

warmup:
Burpees w/ 60# sandbag x20

Snatch 40# x12 R hand
Rolling getup 60# sandbag x 5 R leg
Snatch 40# x12 L hand
Rolling getup 60# sandbag x 5 L leg

Repeat every 5 minutes x5 for 25 minutes total

cossack stretch to
lizard stretch
seated twist
hamstring stretch

warmup
Sandbag burpees 20 reps

SLDL 60# x8
sandbag laterals 60# x8
SLDL 60# x10
sandbag laterals 60# x4/4/4
SLDL 60# x12
sandbag laterals 60# x5/4/4

Sissy Squat bodyweight x10
1 arm row 60# sandbag x12
1 arm row 90# sandbag x5/4/4
1 arm row 90/60# dropset x7/8

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep press 50 lbs x10
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep press 35lbs x12

Iso day:
Still using the same mechanics demo'd in the earlier video, but now instead of trying to open the joint, am just trying to rip the canvas in half using my whole body wile keeping the working limb stationary. When doing legs I try to tear it between the active foot and the support leg.

I still feel like these are doing some sort of not-so-obvious remodeling but IDK what it might be aside from toughening up my connective tissue and some strength gains overall. Something's going on...

warmed up - Sandbag Burpees 60# x20
Pec crossing low R,L
Pec crossing high, R,L

Cross pull low R,L
Cross pull high R,L

Doorway posterior push R,L

cossack stretch to
lizard stretch
seated twist
hamstring stretch

Jumprope HIIT -

5 minute warmup

cossack stretch to
lizard stretch
seated twist
hamstring stretch

I'm really liking cluster sets lately too. They are so effective at dialing in multiple variables for different effects. I'm almost ready for an entire year of solely clusters with 4 different schemes and progressions. I'm programming them solely for grinds and am excited to see how they work longer-term for your sandbag stuff.

I'm really liking cluster sets lately too. They are so effective at dialing in multiple variables for different effects. I'm almost ready for an entire year of solely clusters with 4 different schemes and progressions. I'm programming them solely for grinds and am excited to see how they work longer-term for your sandbag stuff.

I'm still trying to work them in a way that is somewhat dynamic. It also seems that some lifts have a fatigue to load ratio that works well and some maybe don't, if that makes any sense, where I'm wanting to change the number of reps per cluster repeat.
At that point it feels a lot more like Rest/Pause than clusters. Although from what I've read this is a viable use anyway.

So far I'm using my first set as a warmup and to get a feel for what the cluster # should be. Then I use a cluster set for the second set, and the last set is more of a R/P where I reduce the reps by one or two for each repeat, or use a drop set. I'm at sort of an arbitrary experimentation phase where I know what my lift selection and weekly plan look like, but not sure how best to use the sandbags in terms of rep/set.

I'm coming from a HIT mentality, so managing rep count and rest intervals in the absence of intensity fatigue is a bit of a challenge. I am determined to do so though. At the end of last year I told myself 2019 I'd develop a better understanding of Isometrics and Clusters - no excuses - that means use them.

The good news and bad is that most of my lifts use a similar load and rep range falls in the 4-8 range. I have enough space in the bags to add a few more lbs of steel shot if I need to. Hands down, Clusters and R/P are the way to go in this instance. Just need to figure out how best to approach it without being too capricious.

And still not sure about using them for unilateral legwork. The balance aspect of doing SLDL and Skater squats makes them easier to do effectively in uninterrupted strings. Am still going to work in some cluster repeats - again when working a static load they're the best thing out there. I'm convinced should I ever get my PT cert, this is a method that could be used in group setting with limited gear and outperform many other strategies.

Here is where I'm currently at for cluster progressions.
Cluster_Progressions.JPG

All cluster sets done with 10-15 sec repeats =3 exhales

No Decksquats today, slept bad on my lower back and is agony. Would have had to skip if this was a SLDL day.

Warmup:
sandbag purpees 60# x20

sandbag frontloaders 60# x6
Skater squat 60lbs x10
sandbag frontloaders 60# Clusterset 4/4/4 @10-15 sec intervals (3 exhales)
Skater squat 90# CS 4/4/4
sandbag frontloaders 60# CS 4/4/4/4
Skater squat 90# CS 4/4/4

sandbag upright shoulder pull 60# x10
hamstring extensions 20lb x8
sandbag upright shoulder pull 60# CS 6/6/6
hamstring extensions 20lb CS 5/5/5
sandbag upright shoulder pull 60# CS 6/6/6
hamstring extensions 20lb CS 5/5/5

cossack stretch to lizard
tricep press 50 lbs x10
seated twist
hamstring stretch
tricep press 35lbs x8

Circuit HIT,
changed it up a little, used sandbag shoulder cleans instead of snatches to keep it more of a grind.

Broke it down by 2 minute segments w/ last free minute to shake it out.

This format with the shoulder cleans from the floor straight into the rolling getups was very challenging, but recovery was sufficient to get it done and when the timer dinged after last repeat, that minute left me feeling reasonably restored.

Weekend off! Playing laser tag with my kids at their Bday party tomorrow.

warmup:
5 minutes jump rope

2 minute uninterrupted interval, use any extra time to recover
Sandbag shoulder cleans 60# x8 R shoulder
Rolling getup 60# sandbag x 5 R leg

2 minute uninterrupted interval, use any extra time to recover
Sandbag shoulder cleans 60# x8 L shoulder
Rolling getup 60# sandbag x 5 L leg

use last minute for recovery

Repeat every 5 minutes x5 for 25 minutes total

cossack stretch to
lizard stretch
seated twist
hamstring stretch

Just catching up with your training log.
To be able to train with those isometrics you must have such a resilience and mental fortitude to push yourself like that!
I can imagine there are many benefits you'll gain.
One of the benefits of the bindle was the forced abdominal bracing. This would be the only aspect that might not be served as well by the isometrics..? Although if you are isometrically contracting your 'core' muscles as much throughout the isometric moves, then even more kudos to you!
Looking forward to reading the rest on my next visit.

Also nice to see the cat photo-bombing the videos again :)

Just catching up with your training log.
To be able to train with those isometrics you must have such a resilience and mental fortitude to push yourself like that!
I can imagine there are many benefits you'll gain.
One of the benefits of the bindle was the forced abdominal bracing. This would be the only aspect that might not be served as well by the isometrics..? Although if you are isometrically contracting your 'core' muscles as much throughout the isometric moves, then even more kudos to you!
Looking forward to reading the rest on my next visit.

Also nice to see the cat photo-bombing the videos again :)

Paige (the rescue cat) is never far when I'm training. She has a thing for my sandbags, climbs right up on them and pretty sure is asserting her ownership with jaw rubbing and somersaults.

I do miss the core bracing from the bindle work, but have added some core specific moves to the iso (these are positively brutal), as well as slight tweaks to how I perform them and this drags in a bit more core bracing.

Two of the four upper body sandbag lifts I do also are pretty good at integrating the core more than the usual. But...at some point I may have to add or sub out a couple sessions of ab specific work per week - nothing is quite like the Hobo challenge.

The isometrics have been and continue to be a real journey. Very alien compared to push/pull, set/rep type of training. If I hadn't stumbled across the HIIT connection with them I'm not sure I would have stayed with it though, they really are mentally and physically draining with no real gratification during or immediately after. At some point I'll film a full 24 minute session, but my timer ties up my phone, will have to drag out the old camera.

I'm not sure how much they carry over to other lifts since the movement patterns are not really the same, but for day to day I feel like they're an important addition.

Thanks for dropping in, catch ya later!

Absolute respect for the isometric approach. I assume that you are familiar with Alexander Zass?

Alexander Zass, the Father of Isometric Training

Strongman Profile: Alexander Zass Teaches Us About Isometrics | Breaking Muscle

Have read up on him as well as Max Sick (Maxick training). I actually began my fitness experience with my older brother's Bullworker, a sort of isometric/isotonic spring widget (still made today!) and got very strong for my 9 year old size.

One of the things I have noticed is that overcoming Iso seems to be a lot more effective than dynamic tension where you pit limbs against each other. It is impossible to develop a feel for relative exertion as one or both of the limbs is never working as hard as it can.

I'm hoping it helps with strengthening connective tissue among other benefits. One of the things I've been really thinking about and trying to improve over the last year or so is effective transfer of strength to untrained activities. The SF approach of generating tension is great, but you then have to apply it to unfamiliar movements and that is another story.

Especially, the shoulders tight to the socket and the scapula muscles all activated, the core especially the abdominals, and of course in tune with the old time strength folks, the grip.

Am very happy with my current training block as it addresses every aspect I can think of except LSD jogging while still being easily sustainable, will stay on this for at least two months before making any changes.

warmup
Sandbag burpees 20 reps

Alternating SLDL 60# x10
sandbag laterals 60# x8
SLDL 60# x6/6/6
SLDL 90# x3/3/3

1 arm row 90# sandbag x8
Sissy Squat +20lbs x4/4/4
1 arm row 90# sandbag x4/4/4
Sissy Squat +20lbs x4/4/4
1 arm row 90# sandbag x4/4/4

unloaded decksquats x8
cossack stretch
tricep press 50 lbs x10
seated twist
unloaded decksquats x8
hamstring stretch
tricep press 35lbs x12

Iso day:
warmup sandbag burpees 60# x20

Pec crossing low R,L
Pec crossing high, R,L

Cross pull low R,L
Cross pull high R,L

Doorway pull R,L

Still feeling a lot of DOMS in my glutes from the cluster set SLDLs - direct hit!

Making direct progress with the HIIT, today was able to do all of the active periods only inhaling through the nose - though still had to suck some wind for a few seconds immediately after. Pretty good considering I'm still working on a head cold - my sinuses opened up so fast they hurt.

Jumprope HIIT -

5 minute warmup

cossack stretch to
lizard stretch
seated twist
hamstring stretch

Back
Top Bottom