all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

Tried some sissy squats with 50 lb sandbag - I could do them, maybe 8 or so, if I could manage to balance the load - I will learn.

warmup
jump rope 5 minutes

Sandbag Good Mornings 70#x20
sandbag laterals 50# x8
Sandbag Good Mornings 90#x15
sandbag laterals 50# x10
sandbag laterals 50# x12

Sissy Squat 35lbs x10
Pushups x20
Sissy Squat 35lbs x10
Pushups loaded w/ 50lbs sand x10
Sissy Squat 35lbs x10
Pushups loaded w/ 50lbs sand x12/6 dropset bodyweight

Kettlebell Hot Potatoes 35lb x20
cossack stretch to lizard
tricep press 50 lbs x10
seated twist
leg raises x20
hamstring stretch
tricep press 50 lbs x10

51.5 yrs old update, bout the same...
RRmkoLQ.jpg

Last edited:
Back to the Lightning in a Bottle Hobo Strong series. Am going to alternate every two weeks with sandbag.

Warmup:
Jump rope 5 minutes

Hobo Flags 25# -2.5" x10
Sandbag offset squat 90lbs x20
Hobo Flags 25# 5"x10
Sandbag offset squat 140lbs x10
Hobo Flags 25# 10/2.5" dropset x6/6
Sandbag offset squat 140# x10

Hobo Paddles 35# 7.5" x10
hamstring extensions 25lb x10
Hobo Paddles 35# 7.5" x8
Hobo Paddles 35# 10/2.5" dropset x7/5

40lb KB Hot potatoes x20
tricep press 50 lbs x10
seated twist
side to side crunches x20
hamstring stretch
tricep press 50lbs x15

Jumprope warmup 5 minutes

2.5 minute intervals with about 90 seconds of work, 60 seconds rest

60# sandbag rotational cleans x7
60# left shoulder sandbag Getup x7

60# sandbag rotational cleans x7
60# right shoulder sandbag Getup x7

Repeat 5 times for 25 minutes total

leg raises x20
seated twist
hamstring stretch

Increased weight on Sissy Squats to 40lbs. Not sure about the scap rows, I might just modify the paddle mechanics and keep the loaded pushups.

warmup
jump rope 5 minutes

Sandbag Good Mornings 70#x20
Hobo laterals 25# - 2.5" x10
Sandbag Good Mornings 90#x12
Hobo laterals 25# - 5" x10
Hobo laterals 25# - 10/5" dropset x6/6

Sissy Squat 40lbs x10
Hobo Rows 30# - 2.5" x10
Sissy Squat 40lbs x10
Hobo Rows 30# - 7.5" x8
Sissy Squat 40lbs x10
Hobo Rows 30# - 10/5" dropset 8/6

Kettlebell Hot Potatoes 35lb x20
tricep press 50 lbs x10
seated twist
side to side crunches x15
hamstring stretch
tricep press 50 lbs x12

Is everything okay?

Yeah, everything's fine - doing really well actually. Have been pushing the weights up across the board and using interval metcons seems to be maintaining my wind and giving my muscles a little extra volume without ruining my recovery.

Have taken a break from my online log as I was stepping back a little from the forum. Am still keeping notes on paper and meant to do a few dumps but the longer I go the bigger the job of transcribing everything. I am not very StrongFirstian in method or belief, and keep getting into somewhat contentious exchanges on some of these threads. Also I made a promise to myself that I'd be ready to take the NSCA cert at any time if the need or desire arose, and I have slacked off quite a bit with that, so trying to redirect some of my forum time toward that instead.

All that aside I have gotten back into training with the Hobo Bundle/offset pole, but due to how intense it is I am cycling it with all sandbag sessions in three week blocks. Have shifted to pretty much all HIT/DeLorme/Thibaudeau with a few effortful lead in sets and one hard working set per exercise. My log of late doesn't look any different from the last few months except the numbers slowly creeping up.

Looking at your log, you're doing pretty well. Haven't been derailed lately and looks like you're developing solid consistency. (y)

Stay on it, I have to get in shape for this year's RenFest - maybe this year get in character with a chain mail tank top and a war hammer on my belt :D

Yeah, everything's fine - doing really well actually. Have been pushing the weights up across the board and using interval metcons seems to be maintaining my wind and giving my muscles a little extra volume without ruining my recovery.

Have taken a break from my online log as I was stepping back a little from the forum. Am still keeping notes on paper and meant to do a few dumps but the longer I go the bigger the job of transcribing everything. I am not very StrongFirstian in method or belief, and keep getting into somewhat contentious exchanges on some of these threads. Also I made a promise to myself that I'd be ready to take the NSCA cert at any time if the need or desire arose, and I have slacked off quite a bit with that, so trying to redirect some of my forum time toward that instead.
I'm not that StrongFirstian either.
All that aside I have gotten back into training with the Hobo Bundle/offset pole, but due to how intense it is I am cycling it with all sandbag sessions in three week blocks. Have shifted to pretty much all HIT/DeLorme/Thibaudeau with a few effortful lead in sets and one hard working set per exercise. My log of late doesn't look any different from the last few months except the numbers slowly creeping up.
I've always admired your unique way to do things. And it works. I mean those pics of your physique.
Looking at your log, you're doing pretty well. Haven't been derailed lately and looks like you're developing solid consistency. (y)
Thanks. I'm back to GS. It seems to take care of my back right way. Planning to stick with it. Strained my achilles tendon today, but I think it's a minor trauma.
Stay on it, I have to get in shape for this year's RenFest - maybe this year get in character with a chain mail tank top and a war hammer on my belt :D
Yep. That chain mail tank top sounds hilarious. ROFLI have to buy either a Norse hawk or a sword this year... oh, and a Spangenhelm helmet for the summer festivals. But don't tell my wife.;)

... oh, and a Spangenhelm helmet for the summer festivals. But don't tell my wife.;)

Whaa..? she won't notice you're wearing a spangenhelm?!

GS is a LOT easier on the joints. Esp snatch technique many of them come at an angle - this reduces the rotational forces and also is a much easier angle for the shoulder to accommodate up AND down. I have taken to doing snatch at an angle and is so much easier on my shoulder - not GS quality but far from HS.

BTW, one thing I am proud of recent development - Sissy Squat with 50lb kb now, and will be moving up to 60lb sandbag as soon as I can get the form down.

Whaa..? she won't notice you're wearing a spangenhelm?!
LOL!ROFL
GS is a LOT easier on the joints. Esp snatch technique many of them come at an angle - this reduces the rotational forces and also is a much easier angle for the shoulder to accommodate up AND down. I have taken to doing snatch at an angle and is so much easier on my shoulder - not GS quality but far from HS.
That´s a good looking snatching. Have you tried double knee bend? BTW, I´m going to hold a presentation about preventing sedentary work diseases with kettlebell sport at school next week.
BTW, one thing I am proud of recent development - Sissy Squat with 50lb kb now, and will be moving up to 60lb sandbag as soon as I can get the form down.
Congrats on the Sissy Squat progress!(y) I´ve planned to purchase sandbag someday.

I´ve planned to purchase sandbag someday.

At first I thought it was a fairly limited piece of gear, but now am of the opinion it is one of the best tools for home/mobile training, incredibly versatile.

The latest innovation I call "Saddlebag Squats" - I lash the bags together across the tops with the canvas strap I use for isometrics, leave about 18 inches between. I stand the bags up, drop into a low lunge and get under the strap. Shift the bag in the back so its centered, bearhug the one in front, squat away.

This way I squat way more than I could ever clean.

Hello @North Coast Miller

Your video of the ab work is very interesting.

It reminded me a video of Manny Pacquiao's a routine:

I did it for a while. It seems to work well.

Below is another one, quite close to Manny's, but "simpler" though, in terms of exercises:

Both of these routines, even if they remain "basic" can get quite tough if they are done with proper technique (bracing as if we were about to take a punch).

Like you, I also add some core training to my regular training. Currently, I do a few deadlifts (with a focus on power during the concentric phase) and a few one arm one leg push ups. I noticed this routine also drastically works the core. However, I am not able to say which one is more effective (meaning Manny / Neame) or the deadlift / oaol pu combination.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet'
Core work is definitely multifaceted. I try to get some cross body bracing, some basic ab work, and some by way of working with the load outside my center of gravity. The latter feels more applicable to day to day, but the rest also feel invaluable, though it is hard to say - they all feel like they reinforce each other.

Hello,

I think you are right.

When I started to train the regular deadlift, I really felt that my weak point was my legs, especially regarding the power generation. Indeed, I use resistance bands to perform them so I can start them very low (lower than the regular deadlift with plate or even a kb swing). However, I do not feel I work more my core doing them. I even consider I can work more my core using some specific exercise.

So it tends to confirm what you say about the mutual carryover of the different exercises.

I guess the "right" solution would be to do both as my additional core routine !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Kind regards,

Pet'

Latest training strategy. Haven't been keeping up on my log so this is a broad overview of what I plan on using for the next two months or so at least. Am taking a modified park bench approach, so progressions are pretty basic - for hinge and squat if I can do more than 15 reps on my middle set more than twice in a row I need to up weight. For upper body if I get 10 reps on my middle set more than twice in a row I need to up weight. This is very basic DeLorme/HIT approach.

Resistance training is bookended by metcons , so R,M,R,M,R - 5 days of work.

The only reason for tolerating higher rep counts on the lower body work is due to training at home with portable gear my ability to really load these patterns up is limited - although with some creativity I am getting more weight on there. I also do not currently use set extenders when training lower body. Sets are run to 1-2 reps in reserve, pyramid up from the first set.

I use an upper/lower split routine that pairs 3 sets push or pull with hinge or squat. Each day has a lower body focus hinge or squat and a secondary/supplemental movement of the other Eg. backsquat in the first pairing followed by hamstring extensions, DL followed by Sissy Squat. I train tricep every resistance day, and abs on my metcon days, both done at the end of the session interspersed with stretching to conserve time. All days begin with 5 minutes of easy jump rope to warm up.

Sample session:
warmup
lower body + upperbody push, repeated 3x with a 1 -2 minute rest between
accessory lower body + upperbody pull, repeated 3x with a 1 -2 minute rest between
Tricep press
Cossack stretch
Lizard
Tricep press
seated rotation
hamstring

Upper body lifts are split between all sandbag variations and use of the "hobo" offset weighted pole, alternating every two weeks. This due to how intense the offset pole work is, it needs to be spaced out or progress will stagnate fairly quickly.

Upper body-
Using the offset weighted pole with loads that can be rapidly altered, I use a pyramid up of increasing load/decreasing reps, finishing on the third set with a single drop set. Loads ideally range from 10 on the first set, to 8 on the second, 4-6 on the last set with an extension on the drop set at the 10 rep load. Sets are run to about a 1-2 rep reserve on the base sets and the drop set at reduced loading is run to < 1 rep reserve - not "failure" but confident I couldn't get another rep.

With largely static sandbag loading, I shoot for an 8 - 10 rep max load, maintaining a 1-2 rep reserve on the first two sets, the third set is about a one rep reserve with two additional rest pause clusters timed at about 20 second intervals, also with about 1 rep or less in reserve.

Metcons are done in a repeating pattern of 2.5 minute blocks for 10 repeats. Within the block, I'm working for 90 seconds and resting for 60. Metcons consist of two compound exercises done with approx 50% rep max loading with no rest between. Loading is primarily determined by HR, the goal is to hit 80-90% max HR during each block, preferably holding it there for 20 seconds or so. This is not terribly precise, but I do know that at the minimum I'm hitting my target HR well before I finish the block. Failure to do so means I need to increase load or reps.
Lifts are one explosive movement followed by a grind, all sandbag.

Exercise selection:
Hinge -
Good Mornings, double sandbag deadlift, accessory lift - hamstring/glute extension
Squat -
offset squat, saddlebag squat, accessory lift - Sissy Squat

Upper body push/pull -
Laterals - both
Upperbody pull -
rows - both
Upperbody push-
front loaders (sandbag),alternating overhead press (sandbag), pushups (sandbag loaded), flags (Hobo)

Metcons -
explosive movement -
Rotational clean, shoulder clean
grind -
Getups, deck squat to a lunge

I'd like to work some plyo footwork into the mix in the near future, and might have to scrub one or both of the metcons, possibly subbing out one session for the plyo, and revert back to jump rope HIIT for the other.

Front loaders, these are a real tough variant:

Saddlebag squats, have loaded these up to 220lbs - extremely challenging, the canvas over the shoulder bites in, a wider pad might be in order. Still dialing in the mechanics - keeping more upright makes them a lot tougher:

Modified Rows:

Damn! So your squatting with 200kg/440lbs in the second clip and pushing 100kg over head in the first?(y)

Ummmm...no! If I could hit those numbers with sand I'd be a superhero. 400lbs of sand would be about the size of metal trash can. I do need to pick up some chain, but that's not cheap.

The squat clip is 170lbs, 90 in front and 70 in back, I've gone as high as 220lbs. The front loaders are 70lbs for 10, I can hit 90 for 5, but the amount of tension developed on those at the bottom of the lift is pretty intense I don't like doing those with higher RM loading.

I don't know exactly what it is about sandbags, but everything feels heavier with them.

Back
Top Bottom