Honest Effort

North Coast Miller

Level 7 Valued Member
I know from unilateral resistance that in my case most imbalances are caused by form, and might effect function don't need to be addressed except with more attention to detail.

Now have a 3x/week plan using two alternating routines, same format as my sandbag, hobo bundle, etc etc. The doorway leg exercises am refering to as "stride in/ stride out" with out being done against a doorframe or with good foot traction can be done just standing, the "in" pattern can be done just standing, no need for a doorframe.

Added to that are calf raises and Good Mornings.

Again, following my framework for other modes I have a push, pull, anterior shoulder, posterior shoulder:
Pec push, lat pull, elbow in press, lateral raise.

For all exercises there is a 7 second effort followed by movement through the targeted muscle with a full ROM sweep, fast concentric, slow eccentric (more to stretch the muscle than exercise it). Repeat numbers for this vary depending on speed, I can pop my calves about 15 times in the space of time I can do 5-6 straight leg sweeps with the glute. Upper body usually 8 reps.

Yesterday was laterals, stride outs, pecs, calves.
Will make a short video showing these between effort sweeps. They serve two purposes, one is to promote more blood flow, the other is to keep the muscles and joints used to rapid movement. This also hits both ends of the force/velocity spectrum - high force/zero velocity, low force/high velocity.

North Coast Miller

Level 7 Valued Member
Have been staying with this routine, slowly dialing in the fine points.

Still doing 7 second efforts followed by a short period of rapid movements in the same pattern. Have included single leg squats. The plan was to do these until end of month but will running through mid October as I was unable to train consistently at the end of August.

Overall getting good outcome. Slight loss of mass in lower pecs and abs could use some accessory work. Otherwise feeling good, maintaining mass overall and somewhat increasing definition. Have to wait till the end to see what sort of carryover I'm getting.

Digging high clay content soil and gravel with no lower back issues, overall feeling solid.

move

Level 4 Valued Member
For me that's always a good indication that my training methods are paying off. When occassional task of hard manual labour does not result in injuries.

North Coast Miller

Level 7 Valued Member
Isometrics and jump rope.
Have been thinking about my next cycle at the end of the month. Am going to Resurrect the Hobo Bundle concept but in this case will be using a shovel with a hole cut through and a spinlock post used to hold plates to the spade. I'll have to change weight more often as the hands will always be same distance from the load, but won't have to worry about hitting the ceiling with a longer pole, and it repositions the pushing hand to be perpendicular to the pull hand instead of being in-line. This should increase push capacity, so the overall loads will increase.

Also in the works is intention to pick up 150lbs of steel shot to make a "heavier" heavy sand bag. If I make a counter call to pick up, a local ballast supplier has it for 60cents a pound. This will be primarily for heavy shoulder cleans, single leg squat, Good Mornings, as all three have topped out at 100lbs. Good Mornings pulled away a long time ago and have been reduced to doing long sets w/ abbreviated ROM.

North Coast Miller

Level 7 Valued Member
The result of some initial tinkering as a more ergonomic replacement for the Hobo Bundle, push/pull concept. This thing appears to have even less mechanical advantage by approx 30% even though it has a better feel. Positioning the load on the upside of the shovel head will increase mechanical advantage.

Goofing around with 25lbs was comparable to nearly 40lbs with a straight pole and definitely engages the pec/anterior delt more. Going to be starting in with this next week, combined with sandbag for my hinge and squat movements.

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

Love it !

If the threadbar (is it the right English word to describe the plate fixing system you use ?) bother you in some way, it is also possible to do your own gada:
- you can pour concrete in a plastic garden jar
- while it is not dry and hard, you put a stick in it (like a shovel stick we find in DIY store)

Of course, this is not scalable, contrary to your option, but you can create plenty of them, up to big weights (depending on the jar volume you use), for a few bucks

Kind regards,

Pet'

North Coast Miller

Level 7 Valued Member
Hello,

Love it !

If the threadbar (is it the right English word to describe the plate fixing system you use ?) bother you in some way, it is also possible to do your own gada:
- you can pour concrete in a plastic garden jar
- while it is not dry and hard, you put a stick in it (like a shovel stick we find in DIY store)

Of course, this is not scalable, contrary to your option, but you can create plenty of them, up to big weights (depending on the jar volume you use), for a few bucks

Kind regards,

Pet'

I wanted to get something that changed the push hand to be into the palm instead of in-line, as that really reduces the amount of resistance you can push - well illustrated by the difference between a straight handle shovel and one with a D handle.

I also wanted something that can change loading quickly, using standard plates - the spinlock design is the best for holding weights in a bunch of different angles.

I had to come up with something shorter than the old pole, as I was limited to what movement planes I could train due to hitting the ceiling.

This looks pretty ugly, but has a great feel in use. I will probably head up to the second hand tool store and pick up a vintage shovel with steel/wood handle fittings in spade or trench pattern. I had this old scoop shovel I never use, so it became prototype 1. I almost cut the head off and used the collar like a socket, but would have been more work and improved mechanical advantage over the load. Its ugly, but gets the job done.

pet'

Level 8 Valued Member
Hello,

As long as it works, this is the most important ! even if it can be improved as you said. It checks all your requirements.

Is it also easier on your joints ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

North Coast Miller

Level 7 Valued Member
Hello,

As long as it works, this is the most important ! even if it can be improved as you said. It checks all your requirements.

Is it also easier on your joints ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
It will be a lot better for the pushing side wrist, and will maybe eliminate need for any supplemental push exercises. It will be a lot better for the ceiling!

North Coast Miller

Level 7 Valued Member
So, I hack sawed enough of the head away to place the plates on top of the shovel.
As predicted it made the load feel a little less heavy on the big movers but it made the grip work twice as challenging.

Looking forward to getting into it, starts next week.

North Coast Miller

Level 7 Valued Member
Putting off the shovel/hobo plan for a few weeks, concept needs more work now that I've used it a few times.

Ran a basic sandbag routine Single leg squat, upright row, loaded PU, loaded hamstring kickbacks - finished with some crunches and biceps curls.

This was informative, as I'm coming off of about 8-9 weeks since my last sandbag workout and nothing but minimalist isometrics since and only hitting those about 5 sessions every two weeks.

I lost a little on my squat and hamstrings, a little on my PUs, upright rows stayed the same. My abs and biceps got stronger...

Top Bottom