all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

Latest update, am still using a 5 day/week approach with the sessions cut in half compared to my usual. I do wind up missing some as I often only manage 4x/week, but have added an extra 1-2 heavy sets in the middle. Defaulted to all sandbag again.
Recently upgraded my bags to Rep Fitness V2 (already owned one, bought two more) since my older off brand bags were starting to require repair. Figured if I had to unpack em I might as well replace with better quality, fix my old ones at my leisure and keep em around for loaners.

Anyway, old bag loading was 60, 80, 100lbs - new bag loading is 60, 90, 120lbs.
Exercises are:
- Single Leg Squat
- Good Mornings
- Loaded Mule Kick
- Sissy Squat
- Loaded Pushups
- One Arm Rows
- OHP off the knuckles
- Upright Row

heel spurs gave me grief with increased frequency jumping rope, so my warmup is usually 5 minutes of slow paced Burpees with a lightweight sandbag DL instead of a jump.

Since I was already topped out on a bunch of my lifts, put the extra weight to immediate use with Good Mornings and Squat. With the 120 lb bag on my back for loaded pushups = about 270lb bench press, hit that for three this morning. Am about 15lbs lighter than 1.5 years ago and hitting the same weights and reps with exception of loaded PUs. I'd worked up to 10 reps w/ 100lb bag and can only hit 8 reps with the 90, but am slowly inching it back up. Really difficult hitting the right grove again.

The new bags I didn't take the time to pack and wrap, so they're pretty floppy and am unable to do some upper body exercises. Am going to wrap D ring canvas belts around the at the handles to tighten em up a bit.

Hello @North Coast Miller

This is great to read your log again !

Did you try something like one arm push ups to break your plateau ? This, and OAOL drastically increased my push abilities

Do you still try to bulk up then ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @North Coast Miller

This is great to read your log again !

Did you try something like one arm push ups to break your plateau ? This, and OAOL drastically increased my push abilities

Do you still try to bulk up then ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
Am actually working on eliminating about 5-8lbs of fat I gained from too much homemade quarantine bread - toast really, with butter...lots of butter.

But, BW is about 185-190, so I'd like to come out the other side at about 190 but a few % less bodyfat. Not so much bulk or cut, just get a little more discipline. I don't think I'll ever push back to 200+, that really took a lot of volume and enthusiasm. Maybe I can find an easier way back..? If so I'll follow it but right now 185-190 is fine.

Getting back into the loaded PUs really required me to re-find the right movement path/hands position under the body. Turns out I need to be quite a bit further over my hands than is good for moving more weight, but is more honest and recruits far more lats at the bottom. So coming back up has been very slow. Adding extra sets of "easy" low reps in the middle has definitely helped. Not all of my exercises can be safely loaded to use a 5-6 rep max or it becomes difficult to execute with full ROM at that load, but those that can are getting the treatment and the rest are getting the "spirit" of that approach. Added "easy" volume in the middle with as much load as can be used.

I am not getting as much weekly volume per exercise using this truncated approach, but am getting daily frequency, so it seems to be evening out. Mentally is easier to go this route, I suspect I am not getting the same metabolic/hormonal punch, but overall results are good so for time being...

Last edited:
Still continuing with increased frequency/reduced volume.

Heel spur has toned down so am able to do my traditional jump rope warmup - order is restored to the galaxy!

Pushup numbers continue to climb, the 120lb bag is becoming more comfortable. Single leg squat with 120lb bag likewise has already gotten past my upper limit of 12 working reps - will have to prepare a stuff bag to cram in for increased weight or loiter for a few.

In all, the added weight has been completely assimilated, permanently added 10lbs to my lightest bag for a 70, 90, 120 loading scheme. Am going to start removing set extenders from last sets beginning next week.

Am working to drop some more body fat, but am craving protein all the time now. Rather than ride it and gain more mass I'll reduce training demands somewhat and shed another 5 lbs before hitting the gas again. I didn't want to gain a lot of muscle, but seems nutty for someone my age to say "no, I don't want to increase muscle mass, even if its easy".

@North Coast Miller It's cool that your keeping flag of sandbag training up.
Just wondering since its not listed as one of your exercises: do you also do
old humble clean&press w/ sandbags?

Not as a stand-alone. I am not a fan of pressing the bag with the handles. Because of how it rides on the crook of the elbows, the amount of resistance for a given weight is low, and the ROM under load is not very challenging. On top of that, the bag sags enough to flop on my forehead every rep. Usually I press from my knuckles, which requires a bit of fussing to balance and seat well after the clean, it would be impractical to clean every press. This is now my favorite form of OHP due to how much trap and upper back it drags into the lift at the top. Good news is that a front clean to the knuckles is a good bit more challenging than rolling the bag up at the top, as is commonly demonstrated with sandbag.

I do still use the rotational cleans for reps with lighter loading as more of an explosive lift. But, every set of loaded push-ups, Squats, Good Mornings start with shoulder cleaning the bag explosively from it resting across my thighs. I have been known to do sets of these by themselves either as a grind with 120lbs or as a more explosive lift with 70-80lbs, the difference being the lighter bag (and sometimes the rest of my body as well) will become fully airborne before landing on my shoulder. I intend to make my "heavy" bag heavier as soon as more filler bags are for sale.

Not as a stand-alone. I am not a fan of pressing the bag with the handles. Because of how it rides on the crook of the elbows, the amount of resistance for a given weight is low, and the ROM under load is not very challenging. On top of that, the bag sags enough to flop on my forehead every rep. Usually I press from my knuckles, which requires a bit of fussing to balance and seat well after the clean, it would be impractical to clean every press. This is now my favorite form of OHP due to how much trap and upper back it drags into the lift at the top. Good news is that a front clean to the knuckles is a good bit more challenging than rolling the bag up at the top, as is commonly demonstrated with sandbag.

Thats right. When I did c&p long time ago I used really plain bag, no handles, and tried to fill it to its fullest
to prevent twisting, sagging etc. One arm press would be also interesting but this I tried only with smaller
stones. It is obviously mostly the grip which gets hell of a workout. Pairs good with KB bottom up presses.

I do still use the rotational cleans for reps with lighter loading as more of an explosive lift. But, every set of loaded push-ups, Squats, Good Mornings start with shoulder cleaning the bag explosively from it resting across my thighs. I have been known to do sets of these by themselves either as a grind with 120lbs or as a more explosive lift with 70-80lbs, the difference being the lighter bag (and sometimes the rest of my body as well) will become fully airborne before landing on my shoulder. I intend to make my "heavy" bag heavier as soon as more filler bags are for sale.
Oh good old loaded push ups. Havent done them in ages. I used to use my son
as a load in a Milo-like progressive fashion. He is about 100 lbs or more nowadays
so I get itching ....

Oh good old loaded push ups. Havent done them in ages. I used to use my son
as a load in a Milo-like progressive fashion. He is about 100 lbs or more nowadays
so I get itching ....
I just did them in this morning's session. Am now up to 3 reps with one or two in the tank using my 120lb bag, by my most recent estimate that's about 265lbs resistance.

Managed 235lbs (90lb bag) for 11 and probably could have gotten one or two more. Compared to my old bench-press numbers these aren't too shabby, and loaded PUs feel like a much better exercise in general.

Jumping rope increased from 5-7 minutes. Am really thinking I need to include a HIIT session 1x/week and get back to doing isometrics as well. Sandbag lifts progressing slowly but surely. Noticed some visible vascularity on both traps many hours after training - that's not normal.

Left knee felt good enough to use heavier loading this week on the Sissy Squats for first time in many months. Quads are feeling old-school DOMS for three days.

Beginning to use more Cluster Sets. In the past did not get the best results from this approach, but the literature is so strongly supportive that am going to give it another run, at least with some of my lifts. Am trying to come up with methods of determining rep count that are as easy/instinctive as my current approach - am not willing to compromise on simplicity of structure.

Using a strict fraction of my max reps with a given weight did not work well before, so possibly I'll just go by lifting speed/perceived lifting speed - the instant it feels like it slows, use that rep count for the remainder even if it means slowing down on later repeats.

Ordered another filler bag. Since 1/4 of the weight in my heaviest bag is steel shot, I can fit another 20-30lb bag and not overload it for space. My Good Mornings and Squat pattern both need more weight. Loaded pushups with that will be very much uncharted territory.

Am going to swap Skater Squats for the single leg crate squats. Pretty sure I can manage to get the same benefit with less gear and probably less weight. For the life of me I cannot figure out why the crate squats feel easier than Skaters when the mechanics are virtually identical right down to the balance point. If anything the crate squats should feel tougher since I can get deeper with less forward pitch, in fact the reason I discontinued them (Skaters) in the past was for just that reason - too much forward pitch. Have been re-grooving them into a more upright posture.

Have a good weekend all!

Yesterday swapped out the crate squats for a skater/split squat version. Basically squat over the lead leg, point the toe on the back leg and go low enough to tap the floor with the back knee and shin. It shaved a few reps off of the last set, felt greater activation of everything.

Today everything is sore from my hips down, glutes, quads, hammies - did not expect that.

Today's exercises OHP and Good Mornings. Am continuing to use a set of these with light load and straight leg, but am pretty sure this is aggravating my lower back even if it does do a fantastic job of targeting glutes. Even a slight knee bend makes a big difference in where these are felt.

OHP are starting to wear skin off my knuckles when done with the 120lb bag, might need to start wearing leather gloves. Plus side am dialing in form on the clean, really punching up into the bag at the top of the clean to positively seat the fist.

Today's session:
one arm rows
sissy squats

Was able to use Cluster sets very easily with the rows, did the same longish initial set w/moderate load, second set using repeats of 4 reps of a possible 8-10 and applied RPE of about 6 using 90lb bag. Three repeats worked. Last set did 7 repeats and few extra on the 70lb bag.

Clusters with Sissy Squat were problematic due to the balance factor - it is easier to hit a groove on a longer string or reps since th efirst one or two are always a bit dodgy. Also I have to stand upright and hold the load between repeats - I need to experiment with dropping it between repeats. Still managed to get in more reps with heavier load.

I've never really been able to qualify the difference between number "adaptation triggering reps" of Cluster sets and straight sets. It is not one to one. Example, if on a straight set to failure with 8 reps the last three are doing most of the remodeling, Cluster I do 12 reps same weight, 4 repeats of three. Maybe only the last rep on each is a trigger. Maybe a rough total is minimum I need to get at least as many Cluster repeats as 1/3 the number of reps I could get in a straight set. But what if I did 3 repeats of 4, are the last rep and a half of each repeat now comparable...?(!).

Accessory tricep press used it as well, 3x3 on first set, 4x3 on the second.

All in all felt good. For an approach that's supposed to be less Bro sciency I got a bigger pump...

I'm glad that you update your training again, because it's pleasure to read your log. A lot of great stuff here and I always learn something new.

I'm glad that you update your training again, because it's pleasure to read your log. A lot of great stuff here and I always learn something new.
Thanks for reading, and I'm glad when anyone can get some good from it! I've learned a lot from the logs and threads on here so is nice to contribute.

I always feel it should have more detail and diagrams/videos and such, a lot of what I do isn't standard-use and I don't know how much sense anyone just coming across it will make of it.

Using Clusters with exception of warmup set.
Eliminated the one additional higher tension set from the middle, so:
Warmup
Cluster at 6-7 RPE cut short
Cluster at 10 RPE as many repeats as needed to reach technical failure yet still complete the repeat - example repeats of 3 reps - I stop if I think I can only get two on the next repeat.

For curls and tricep press I only do two Clusters, one at RPE 5-6 and one at 10. For today that was 3x2 reps on the curls first set, 5x2 on the second.

Cluster rep number is a guesstimate of 1/3 to 1/2 repmax, "go till you slow" on the first repeat and use that number. Not sure what I was doing wrong last time I tried these, they feel mighty effective.

Loaded Mule kicks 3x8, 4x8
Loaded pushups 3x2 w/ 120lb bag (approx 265-270 press), 6x3 w/ 90lb bags (approx 235-240) and a drop set with bodyweight 8 reps.
Curls 3x2, 5x2

Continuing experiment with Cluster Sets.

Am using them exactly as described above, first set taken to the hint of a slow down and that becomes the number to use. I am trying to execute with fastest possible rep speed and still have control. Fairly reliably this results in tech failure if taken to 4 or 5 sets.

The middle set is terminated at three repeats, last set rep count is modified if the middle set was too hard or too easy I'll add/remove reps. Even still, the last set is run until I'm 90% sure I can't finish the next full repeat. I am not taking notes for any of this, which is likely a mistake, and I'll get back into that in a week or two. I want to make sure I don't fall into the temptation of having pre-designated load:rep counts etc, just an "honest effort" every time.

Cluster sets have increased overall volume about 30-40% even with one fewer sets compared to straight sets. Lifts like Good Mornings, OHP and Skater Squat are significantly more taxing due to static holding between repeats.

Persistence has paid off for Sissy Squats as I can now do them with repeats as low as 4 reps, dropping the bag between and quickly hefting and balancing.

Today's session upright rows and skater squats, Skaters feel very natural already - a good change up. I would like to find another high pull to replace the upright rows as they become too bicep limited at the top of the ROM. A unilateral movement would fix that, and maybe allow for a heavier load to boot. It would have to bent over with support, attempts to execute this upright or partially upright lead to the elbow drifting closer to the rib cage...

Quietly increasing loading /reps on everything. Today's loaded PUs and mule kicks no exception. Am almost ready to add weight to the heavy cluster PUs, 3x2 reps is now almost easy and with the 90lb bag am doing 3x5. Mule kicks loaded with a modest sounding 40lbs. PUs are feeling great again

Cluster training is def having a good effect. I am concerned that the training "feel" is not closely related to adaptive/recovery needs though, as I am either beginning to feel the effects of overtraining or haven't quite adapted to this approach. With numbers still going up it is tough to argue overtraining, but I am somewhat stiff and legs are a bit achy all the time. Of course I might just be getting older...

Am not going to change Clusters for another 3-4 weeks, but will likely add a power/grind day with lighter weight and remove one day of strength/hyp.

Today's work:
OHP
Good Mornings

Still using a Cluster format. Have resorted to wearing a pair of jersey workgloves while pressing to prevent the skin being ground off my knuckles. Discovered if I hold some 10" dowels in my hands while pressing it prevents the bag from sagging so much around the hand and rubbing the skin off, but also seems to effect the grove and overall ease of the lift in negative ways, also adds a level of fuss to the clean (since I have to hold them as well as pull the strap), so gloves it is.

Good Mornings am beginning to reduce weight and ROM and increase reps. At heavier loading I can't seem to escape the focus shifting from overall hinge to more and more lower back, leading to more stiffness than I'd like to feel the next day. Still finishing with a straight leg set at a very modest 70lbs.

Most of my weights are now equal or better than two Summers ago at 205lbs bodyweight. Latest scale shows me at 192, a few more lbs of fat and will be right where I want to be - really having trouble staying away from afternooon snack of toast with a lot of butter...

Back
Top Bottom