all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

That’s all purely theory on my part, without doing a bunch of research. However it seems like you’re seeing carryover to dynamic work which kind of supports it.
That is an amazing development, it has my interest for sure.. I'm really interested in recovery these days, it seems as though Martin's work is highly 'recoverable' so I'm paying attention.

... could train the muscles/nerves in a way that translates to movement….without actually moving, really. Instead of training a movement pattern you’re training the muscle itself, and the neurological pathways to activate it at high intensities.
Initially I looked at the lack of proprioception as a drawback, but now I look at it as a bonus, I'm less likely to apply inefficient movement patterns to unfamiliar tasks.

Going back to testing dynamic exercise it takes a couple reps and everything starts clicking.

This reminds me of a study Schoenfeld referenced in a meta, where powerlifting was compared to BB, the powerlifters had greater strength gains in their trained lifts, but both groups had identical gains in isometric strength. I haven't figured out how this all ties together, but it is my belief that isometrically trained strength has better carryover to unfamiliar tasks precisely because it isn't trained with repetitive ingrained movement patterns. This is also why a great deal of gym strength no matter how it is attained fails to carry over very well to untrained tasks, and where it does the exercise selection has to be a very close match.

That is an amazing development, it has my interest for sure.. I'm really interested in recovery these days, it seems as though Martin's work is highly 'recoverable' so I'm paying attention.
At 14 weeks in am starting to feel a little antsy because it literally feels like I'm doing an extended deload. Yet when I have to manhandle a 1400lb roll of paper on concrete floor at work, I feel real solid with my bracing and still fill out my clothing. If it weren't for the HIIT I wouldn't feel like I was hardly doing anything - like I said, making me a little antsy. Am guessing I've been at it long enough to be starting in on the long term effects of training this way.

At 14 weeks in am starting to feel a little antsy because it literally feels like I'm doing an extended deload. Yet when I have to manhandle a 1400lb roll of paper on concrete floor at work, I feel real solid with my bracing and still fill out my clothing. If it weren't for the HIIT I wouldn't feel like I was hardly doing anything - like I said, making me a little antsy. Am guessing I've been at it long enough to be starting in on the long term effects of training this way.
My LB Hates deadlifting, lifted too much heavy sh*t over the years in construction. I hurt it one day putting a 300lb ridge beam up 14 feet without help. I may explore the iso route later on.. as of now I'm slowly gaining momentum in strength and recovery.

Am switching upper body a little to a more angle of application approach similar the old "hobo strong" method, taking advantage of flexibility inherent to my strap set-up.

High angle push, low angle push, high angle pull, low angle pull.

3minutes jumprope warmup
- Squat
- low press
- hamstring curl
- Row
- Leg Raises
- Triceps extension
All holds done 8 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 30 - 50% on, 20 seconds rest, 5 repeats.

How are you achieving this? Adjustable bench and bar?
For the low angle I spread the anchor points and try to bring hands up and across, sort of like an incline fly.

For the high angle push I get the anchor points above my head in a bench press format, drive hands down and together like a butterfly swim stroke.

This a good strategy, but beware subbing out lifts that are blameless for ones that are not, esp around the lower and middle spine. But yes in general, variety is a good defense.
Thanks! Yes, I've tried what different lifts does for my lower back. For example I found cleans to be less irritating than swings, so I do cleans. Next I will try what snatch or half snatch does. I will keep volume low on those though.

Thanks! Yes, I've tried what different lifts does for my lower back. For example I found cleans to be less irritating than swings, so I do cleans. Next I will try what snatch or half snatch does. I will keep volume low on those though.
Always good to ID what works, have you figured out the why? Maybe due to the bell staying closer to your center of gravity?

I see, thanks for the clarification.

I'm going to feel this out with intention to bail at the first sign of trouble.

Using it with a weighted pole, I got great overall response but it was very tough on the stabilizers and maybe a little less effective for the big movers. Grip and bicep/tricep really can take a beating since they are operating from an "open" angle and have to isometrically resist to transfer force from the bigger muscles. Plus side, the grip and core get very strong without any separate attention.

This might be how we mostly use them in real life, but I'm still not 100% on whether it makes sense to train them this way as a steady diet. Will be monitoring closely for signs of overuse in bicep, and maybe more importantly if the limitations of the peripheral muscles result in too much of a force reduction in the prime movers.

Great to see you are getting stronger with isometrics North Coast Hulk!
I am actually experiencing similar while doing BW training along the CC lines
with an emphasize on one or two second pauses during every rep. Pressing 40 kg KB
like nothing from doing "just normal push ups" but with a pause and squeezing
everyhting I have. i'd really call it moving isometrics or dynamical isometrics or
whatever. Main thing is, it works for me right now.

Always good to ID what works,
Thanks!
have you figured out the why?
Maybe the shear force irritates my back. I have to investigate more to be sure.
Maybe due to the bell staying closer to your center of gravity?
Yes, center of gravity is closer, you're right. And I'm using double knee bend at the moment, so bell goes up. Those too things are the main reasons, I guess. Maybe the movement is more relax and fluid this way too.

Yes, center of gravity is closer, you're right. And I'm using double knee bend at the moment, so bell goes up. Those too things are the main reasons, I guess. Maybe the movement is more relax and fluid this way too.
Maybe explore this dynamic with lifts other than the basic kettlebell? Double knee bend or less extension or maintain the load closer. Zercher Deadlift cradling the kettlebell might even be a good choice. If you don't have one, maybe a very small "back pain" notebook could help. Russian Twist, Deck Squat - I've had to write off a bunch of beloved exercises over the years.

Back
Top Bottom