all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

Jumprope HIIT, 17 sec on, 30 off, 15 intervals.
Used HR monitor, not sure what to make of results. Max was 156, by the 9th interval it stayed above 150 the entire time. Pacing is 3 rotations per second, which produced a HR of nearly 180 bpm back in 2018 at a 20:40 second work:rest.

Not sure if this means I need to work harder, I'm in better shape now, I'm getting older and top HR has gone down (which should have = a slower pace)....?

Thinking I might jump to 20 seconds on the working period, but need another week to acclimate to the 17.

Edit to add: my #s aren't as far off as I remembered. Went back through my logs and found the actual readings
Honest Effort.

I'm still pretty close, might actually be in better shape currently.

Last edited:
minutes jumprope warmup
- DL
- Crossover high pull
- Quad Extension
- Incline benchpress
- Hammer curl

All holds done 8 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 30 - 50% on, 20 seconds rest for 5 repeats.

Loaded Crunches 2x AMRAP

Henceforth using 15 seconds on, 20 hard pulse shots, 20 seconds off. Extending the exertion phase for a few. Also jumping to a 1:1.5 on the HIIT with a 20sec on, 30sec off starting tomorrow.

New job is going great, a ton to get used to and learn, the place is an absolute labrynth. Coworkers a real nice, attitude is relaxed and compentent. Do it right, not fast. The materials used in-process could easily kill people.

Jumprope HIIT, 20 sec on, 30 off, 15 intervals. Maintained 3 beats per second start to finish. HR reflcted those extra 3 seconds. Honestly a bit surprised, no way I could have done this 6 weeks ago but today was ready for a few more intervals when the timer chimed.

Kinda neat, my working HR for these intervals (166 bpm, which is def tough but not my top end in an absolute sense) is exactly my supposed max HR using the 220 minus age formula.

Last edited:
First try at one of your HITT jumprope sessions today. Was mostly an experimental session, but when i finally hit my stride i did get one round with no errors and great cadence where i was able to get around 45 rotations in 15 seconds. How do you jump exactly? I started out just soing two feet at a time but ended up fastest with a full on high knees routine. Forgot to record hr but will look at reg watch data later (looks like i peaked at 140). Only did ten rounds to test. Any suggestions as to how to start out this protocol?

Last edited:
First try at one of your HITT jumprope sessions today. Was mostly an experimental session, but when i finally hit my stride i did get one round with no errors and great cadence where i was able to get around 45 rotations in 15 seconds. How do you jump exactly? I started out just soing two feet at a time but ended up fastest with a full on high knees routine. Forgot to record hr but will look at reg watch data later (looks like i peaked at 140). Only did ten rounds to test. Any suggestions as to how to start out this protocol?
I'd start by doing a few longish jumps to see what it takes to get your HR up about 85-90% of its theoretical max. 220 minus age is good enough. Figure out your rough count so you can tell if your output is dropping. I count every other footfall. You can just feel this out, a max output effort that you couldn't sustain much longer than your working interval.

My approach it should take about 4 intervals before you pin your working HR to your recovery, after that they both go up in lockstep until they top out. Then a few more in that range and you're done.

Personally I'd start with shorter working periods and shorter overall duration. 20 minutes tops, 12-15 is better.

I jump alternating feet with high knees like I'm running, and just sort of lope in place during rest periods. A cheap swivel jumprope works a lot better than a speed rope since it works your arms more.

A true Tabata almost requires some way to measure your output, I cannot do more than two max-output jumprope 20 seconds on 8 seconds off.

3x a week is about the most, 2x is sustainable, 1x can be combined with other aerobics on an off day and is enough you'll feel the improvement in a month or less.

Very important to keep in mind this should not feel like a drag on your strength work. All these folks talking about being sore etc the day after HIIT are doing it wrong.

Changed up the hold times a little for a longer hold, fewer pulses but higher effort. Those squats were brutal.

3minutes jumprope warmup
- Squat
- OHP
- hamstring curl
- Row
- Triceps extension

All holds done 15seconds full on, 10 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 3 repeats.

Crunch variations interleaved with stretching.

I'd start by doing a few longish jumps to see what it takes to get your HR up about 85-90% of its theoretical max. 220 minus age is good enough. Figure out your rough count so you can tell if your output is dropping. I count every other footfall. You can just feel this out, a max output effort that you couldn't sustain much longer than your working interval.

My approach it should take about 4 intervals before you pin your working HR to your recovery, after that they both go up in lockstep until they top out. Then a few more in that range and you're done.

Personally I'd start with shorter working periods and shorter overall duration. 20 minutes tops, 12-15 is better.

I jump alternating feet with high knees like I'm running, and just sort of lope in place during rest periods. A cheap swivel jumprope works a lot better than a speed rope since it works your arms more.

A true Tabata almost requires some way to measure your output, I cannot do more than two max-output jumprope 20 seconds on 8 seconds off.

3x a week is about the most, 2x is sustainable, 1x can be combined with other aerobics on an off day and is enough you'll feel the improvement in a month or less.

Very important to keep in mind this should not feel like a drag on your strength work. All these folks talking about being sore etc the day after HIIT are doing it wrong.
Awesome, ty. I’m likely only going to do it 1-2 times a week. Something I can do on my recess duties and to keep me from actually overtraining. I’m trying to employ much more mobility, crawling, bodyweight, etc. to my off days rather than just “different” kettlebell stuff. Ramping up the intensity on actual training days though.

Awesome, ty. I’m likely only going to do it 1-2 times a week. Something I can do on my recess duties and to keep me from actually overtraining. I’m trying to employ much more mobility, crawling, bodyweight, etc. to my off days rather than just “different” kettlebell stuff. Ramping up the intensity on actual training days though.

A session of HIIT is one of the easiest things to tab in. Takes me less than 20 minutes and produces a very strong response.

Mentally unpleasant, but over before you know it. Another good option (maybe not for HIIT but for useful variety) is a bunch of the off-ice footwork drills that hockey coaches use. Like HIIT, a little bit of this produces an effect you can feel in just a few weeks even if only done 1x per.

A session of HIIT is one of the easiest things to tab in. Takes me less than 20 minutes and produces a very strong response.

Mentally unpleasant, but over before you know it. Another good option (maybe not for HIIT but for useful variety) is a bunch of the off-ice footwork drills that hockey coaches use. Like HIIT, a little bit of this produces an effect you can feel in just a few weeks even if only done 1x per.
I’ll have to look into that, is it like speed ladders or something?

You like the new hr strap?

More or less. The strap itself is a real nice design - reliable and comfortable.

The OEM app is not very good. The graph doesn't track time on a scale, the display doesn't rotate with the phone, it needs bluetooth and location turned on even though its only using ant and I'm not going anywhere. But...for the $ it does what I want it to do, and pretty sure it will pair with other apps that record more accurate data.

3 minutes jumprope warmup
- DL
- Crossover high pull
- Quad Extension
- Incline benchpress
- Hammer curl

All holds done 15seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 3 repeats.

minutes jumprope warmup
- Squat
- OHP
- hamstring curl
- Row
- Triceps extension

All holds done 15seconds full on, 10 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 3 repeats.

Back
Top Bottom