Honest Effort

3 minutes jumprope warmup
- DL
- Crossover high pull
- Quad Extension
- Incline benchpress
- Hammer curl
- Grip

All holds done 10 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 3 repeats.

Crunch variations interleaved with stretching.

Starting to work dynamic again. Plan is to bookend an isometric Wed between Tues Thurs HIIT and Mon Fri dynamic. The isometric will be the opposite of the dynamic that week. Dynamic will be using Cluster Set approach, taking it easy at first so I don't get DOMS too bad.

Example:
Squat D, hiit, Deadlift I, hiit, Squat D

Next week:
Deadlift D, hiit, Squat I, hiit Deadlift D

Today -
3minute jumprope warmup
Skater Squat bodyweight x20, 7/7/7 - 75lb bag

OHP off the knuckles 5/5/5 x2 75lbs

Mule kicks 5/5/5 x2 30lbs

One arm row 5/5/5 x2 75lb bag

Tricep press 3/3/3 x2 75lb bag

Stretching and crunches

Jumprope HIIT, 20 sec on, 30 off, 15 intervals. Getting easier, will have to start shrinking rest periods, next week maybe. Expected a higher HR, pretty sore in the legs (everywhere really) from yesterdays session.

According to Wahoo I didn't even hit 200 calories...?

- DL
- Crossover high pull
- Quad Extension
- Incline benchpress
- Hammer curl
- Grip

All holds done 10 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 3 repeats.

- Squat
- Behind neck press
- hamstring curl
- Row
- Triceps extension

All holds done 10seconds full on, 10 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

Slight variation in the pulse efforts to allow for a higher % MVC to develop.

Last edited:
- DL
- Crossover high pull
- Quad Extension
- Incline benchpress
- Hammer curl
- Grip

All holds done 10 seconds full on, 10 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

Finished today with some isometric double palm press, iso "sled work" (low crouch, staggered step, car-pushing posture, and some iso jab and cross (initiate punch from fully chambered, then initiate return from fully extended) - these donewith very short sharp effort. I need to get some of my handspeed back...

- Squat
- Behind neck press
- hamstring curl
- Row
- Triceps extension

All holds done 10seconds full on, 10 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

Last edited:
- DL
- Crossover high pull
- Quad Extension
- Incline benchpress
- Hammer curl
- Grip

All holds done 10 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

Jumprope HIIT, 20 sec on, 25 off, 15 intervals. Back under 120 in about 2 minutes even. Shaved 3 seconds of rest per, still did not get into the 170s. Going to stick with this ratio for a week or two and then start pushing it down. Target is 1:1, something I absolutely didn't think possible not too long ago. Pretty interesting, have finally hit a ratio where the rest periods and working periods are no longer very distinct on the HR readout.

Martin, how often are you doing HIIT work? Shooting for twice weekly?
Two is mandatory, three if I have no problems fitting it in. Am trying to get 2-3 iso or 2 iso plus one sandbag variety day with a HIIT the day after each resistance day.

If anything gets jettisoned its that 3rd interval day, but def feel that its important to get those two.

Two is mandatory, three if I have no problems fitting it in. Am trying to get 2-3 iso or 2 iso plus one sandbag variety day with a HIIT the day after each resistance day.

If anything gets jettisoned its that 3rd interval day, but def feel that its important to get those two.
Probably a good, going HR red zone has a cost. Learned that doing VWC, time under that load is key, I over did it and paid for it when weather heated up.

Probably a good, going HR red zone has a cost. Learned that doing VWC, time under that load is key, I over did it and paid for it when weather heated up.
Def something for me to keep tabs on. I might even start dropping a few intervals. If I get to a 1:1 a dozen is probably just as good as 15.

A really interesting part of this is the near complete lack of muscular stress, which is a major facet of HIIT. I honestly don't think you can do it well with any sort of a load even if HR shows a similar dynamic. HR gets pretty high doing sandbag get-ups but the training effect is totally different. I feel great, very relaxed after HIIT, after one of my metcons I feel pretty wiped and it def impacts other resistance training - has to be accounted for.

Def something for me to keep tabs on. I might even start dropping a few intervals. If I get to a 1:1 a dozen is probably just as good as 15.

A really interesting part of this is the near complete lack of muscular stress, which is a major facet of HIIT. I honestly don't think you can do it well with any sort of a load even if HR shows a similar dynamic. HR gets pretty high doing sandbag get-ups but the training effect is totally different. I feel great, very relaxed after HIIT, after one of my metcons I feel pretty wiped and it def impacts other resistance training - has to be accounted for.
I think you're right, muscle involvement has a lot to do with fatigue in that scenario and RPE seems true to form when it comes to these things.

I think you're right, muscle involvement has a lot to do with fatigue in that scenario and RPE seems true to form when it comes to these things.
I'm def gonna keep tabs and really hoping my knees and feet cooperate so I can gauge some carryover to slow pace running.

But yeah, important to keep forefront that HIIT is aerobic conditioning. Too much muscular involvement and it becomes something else entirely, and that something (generally) takes more out of the tank than it puts back. Also increases the risk of injury from high volume in fatigued state. Regular HIIT sucks pretty hard but its so brief, is over before you realize how tough it is.

Back
Top Bottom