all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

That’s actually the frustrating part about my aerobic hr, is that my avg resting right now is 49. I’m considering starting from scratch and doing the run/walk program. I also looked into some Butekyo breathing techniques today @Bret S. It’s seems like my controlled pause tolerance is fairly low, around 15 seconds if I’m being conservative with the “discomfort”.

I used to just pass over it, did a lot of running in the middle of the night when doing shift work. It was like running in a dream - I used to scan the trails side to side so I could stay in track using peripheral night vision, the dog could stay on the trail just fine. Was a lot younger and lighter. Even at similar BF% that extra weight is apparent.

Am very confident if torn meniscus and heel spurs stabilize I'll be able to run 4-5k a bunch of times per week no problem. Like @LarryB, I'd like to get my resting HR down a bit from current high 60s/ low 70s.
Trail running in the dark (with a headlamp) is a very ethereal and fun thing to do….

That’s actually the frustrating part about my aerobic hr, is that my avg resting right now is 49. I’m considering starting from scratch and doing the run/walk program. I also looked into some Butekyo breathing techniques today @Bret S. It’s seems like my controlled pause tolerance is fairly low, around 15 seconds if I’m being conservative with the “discomfort”.
CP is tough to gauge without a coach present, I never felt like I got an accurate reading. You can use the free phone app and start doing some holds. My recommendation is start slowly, eventually you'll be hooked on it. Walking holds are also an excellent way to practice.

Ive recently found this out too!
All the cuircit training, kettlebells, even cycling ive done yet make me run 2 miles and im dead haha

Hence why ive decided to add it to my weekly routine
I have to admit the jumprope HIIT def has given me some crossover endurance. Not great, but way better than it was last year when I did the same run.

Connective tissues are not happy with the running, at all. But then it took weeks for my joints to adapt to isometrics, nearly two months before I could OHP without nerve pain in my shoulders - and that was coming off some pretty spirited sandbag lifting.

The thing I'm really looking for is lowered resting HR and reduction in resting BP. HIIT is supposed to help with both of those, but magnitude of effect is pretty mild compared to LISS. Time will tell if I can put in enough hours doing it to claim those benefits. If not, HIIT will probably be a better alternative.

I have to admit the jumprope HIIT def has given me some crossover endurance. Not great, but way better than it was last year when I did the same run.
Yes, now you say it i found jump rope helped too, i didn't do HIIT but just 10mins a couple times a week keeping my HR under 140.
I remember running around with the kids and thinking wow im not struggling to run!

Cycling is more my thing, i enjoy it more than running and do 10 miles off road through mud and sludge, it can be tough going, i thought this running will be a peice of cake for me. Wrong. Haha
But 3 weeks into 2 runs a week no more than 3 miles at a time and my cycling has got alot easier!

My RHR is 42 bpm, think im just lucky rather than fit!

Trail running in the dark (with a headlamp) is a very ethereal and fun thing to do….
On a hot humid Summer night it feels like running under water. I used to take the dog up to a spot called Washington Grove, off the back end of Cobb's Hill reservoir. Massive old growth oak etc in the middle of Rochester, NY. Running dark, I'd just avoid any other lights while on the trails, come up out of the woods and a few times around the reservoir - fantastic view overlooking downtown. Its amazing how well one's night vision can adapt if you don't try to use the center of your FOV.

3 minutes jumprope warmup
- DL
- Crossover high pull
- Quad Extension
- Incline benchpress
- Hammer curl

All holds done 10 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

Crunch variations interleaved with stretching.

Project "ReRun" week two, 4k.

Feeling less stress in joints etc, felt good enough to increase stride but kept it short and brought my knees higher instead. Shaved 3-4 minutes off my time last week, easily kept breath through nose.

Back
Top Bottom