all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

3 minutes jumprope warmup
- DL
- Crossover high pull
- Quad Extension
- Incline benchpress
- Hammer curl

All holds done 10 seconds full on, 20 "reps" rapid relax/ 100% on, 20 seconds rest, 4 repeats.

Crunch variations interleaved with stretching.

5k run, kept HR under 140, felt OK
Doing pretty good Martin! Returning to run at an 'older' age is pretty tough.. Especially when you consider this little Al'ism from Al Ciampa.

"At 225 lbs of body weight, my foot collides with the ground while jogging such that my body must absorb near 500 lbs of force. Given that there are roughly 2000 steps to a mile, half of which is 1000, each mile of single-legged hops during a low-intensity jog causes about 500,000 lbs of force for each leg to absorb. A six mile jog causes 3,000,000 lbs of force on each leg. If you purchase the idea that strength can be forged through lighter, higher volume training, jogging seems to be quite a strength stimulus."

Doing pretty good Martin! Returning to run at an 'older' age is pretty tough.. Especially when you consider this little Al'ism from Al Ciampa.

"At 225 lbs of body weight, my foot collides with the ground while jogging such that my body must absorb near 500 lbs of force. Given that there are roughly 2000 steps to a mile, half of which is 1000, each mile of single-legged hops during a low-intensity jog causes about 500,000 lbs of force for each leg to absorb. A six mile jog causes 3,000,000 lbs of force on each leg. If you purchase the idea that strength can be forged through lighter, higher volume training, jogging seems to be quite a strength stimulus."

Am not sure how much longer I'll keep on this. My left knee clunks for about 100 steps when I stop jogging, have lost about a pound a week since starting and BF and resting HR hasn't changed at all.

Am not sure how much longer I'll keep on this. My left knee clunks for about 100 steps when I stop jogging, have lost about a pound a week since starting and BF and resting HR hasn't changed at all.
I get it, returning to run is no small thing.

Al started out running for 30 seconds or so I believe, then walking the rest. He slowly ticked up running time over months and years until he was able to run up to nine miles without too many problems. He said his knees are bone on bone and it takes a long time for the body to adapt. Run technique has a lot to do with it as well, I've been refining mine steadily since starting back a few years ago. The 'pose' method seems to work best for me.

I had a lot of success in the beginning when running on grass, doing it very slowly. Even practicing that way took a long time for my body to adapt to an hour straight running.

I get it, returning to run is no small thing.

Al started out running for 30 seconds or so I believe, then walking the rest. He slowly ticked up running time over months and years until he was able to run up to nine miles without too many problems. He said his knees are bone on bone and it takes a long time for the body to adapt. Run technique has a lot to do with it as well, I've been refining mine steadily since starting back a few years ago. The 'pose' method seems to work best for me.

I had a lot of success in the beginning when running on grass, doing it very slowly. Even practicing that way took a long time for my body to adapt to an hour straight running.

I find if I keep my gaze down about 20ft ahead of me I can keep my pace and HR nice and low. I look into the distance and I always speed up. For the most part am slowly acclimating.

On a personal level I view jogging as a potential path, if it fails to help lower my resting HR or BP I won't keep at it - is def more taxing than HIIT and takes longer to boot.

I find if I keep my gaze down about 20ft ahead of me I can keep my pace and HR nice and low. I look into the distance and I always speed up. For the most part am slowly acclimating.

On a personal level I view jogging as a potential path, if it fails to help lower my resting HR or BP I won't keep at it - is def more taxing than HIIT and takes longer to boot.
Personally, my feeling on training now is it's long term and requires patience above all. RHR will definitely go down over time, when starting back to run mine was around 60, now as I sit and do breath work in the am while sipping coffee it's around 46-48.

If you run a little at a time.. run slow.. and keep it as a sustainable, steady package over the long term RHR goes down. My BP was 120/80, now it's lower, I attribute much of BP lowering to breath work as well as run work.
I went from doing timed S&S standard 4-5 times a week to VWC.. then to low intensity run/walk. I feel much better overall since starting easy locomotion work and Buteyko practice. Ironically, I'm more excited by those two things than strength work now. Strength is potentially gained quickly, while run and breath work cannot be a fast result.. it just doesn't seem to work that way.

I know you know all this, sometimes it's good to get another perspective?

edit to add: I did a snatch test not long ago and failed in 5:35.. not happy about that but it can be easily remedied. What excited me was HR never hit the red zone.

Back
Top Bottom