all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

Slight increase in the bent press using a 28kg and 10lb stacked for the high end. Am getting more used to heavier loads with stacked KBs - have been wrapping a bit of innertube around the body of the smaller bell, really helps keep it from sliding around.

warm-up:
Slingshots 15 each direction 35lb
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb
swings, one hand 62lbs 20 reps ea regular, 40 reps triple extension swings two hands

Bent Press
8 reps 62 lbs
6 reps 72 lbs
4/3 drop set 62/72

Bent row towel
12 reps 120
8 reps 140
5/3 drop set 140/120

Circular cleans to Reverse lunge
8 reps 50lbs
6/4 50/40

Swing/squat
20 reps 50 lbs
x2

Stretch

Second session with 80 lb single overhead - had to really dig deep to grind these out. I also have to limit the amount of time on the eccentric phase or is almost impossible to finish 3 reps per - I might want to drop back to 70lb and really focus on eccentric loading. Normally I do one breath up, one down.

Also cleared up the mystery of the off exhale on the one-handed swings. Once I get above 12-13 reps with one hand at 28kg, my exhale breathing does not keep pace. The exhale begins to lag the movement until it comes to rest at the bottom of the movement where it is driven from me like a bellows. With two hands on the triple extension it takes me about 30 of 40 reps to reach this point. I may have to drop weight or reduce reps and add another set if I want to maintain the normal breathing pattern.

Interesting enough, once I default to the bellows breathing I can maintain that pattern to movement without struggle...

Cleans continue to improve , front squat still challenging. Winter weather is all but gone here, I'll be taking the tube sand from my wife's car this weekend and maybe transition to offset sandbag squat.

One thing that continues to impress me about this is that I actually get fairly swole up on 8 sets with 3-4 minutes rest per - 28 reps not counting the Swing complex. Wouldn't have thought that possible.

warm-up:
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb
swings, one hand 62lbs 20 reps ea regular, 40 reps triple extension swings two hands

Overhead press
80lbs 3 reps each hand
4 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Double front squat
32kg and 28 kg 5 reps
4 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Stretch and recovery drink.

warm-up:
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb

TGU - not alternating
4 reps 50lbs
3 reps 62 lb
2/2 drop set 62/50

One hand rows
8 rep 70lb
6 rep85lb
3/3 drop set 85/70

Deck Squats
6 rep 62
4/4 drop set 62/50

Hack Squat
10 rep 50lbs x2

Stretch

Forgot to add- since returning TGU to the lineup, I've noticed some DOMS at the insertion of the Glute major.This is a good sign as not many movements really hit it there - must be the wider stance on my get-ups as I haven't really changed anything else.

Overall feeling good with the program and also my first day with the novelty'd KB - awesome! I may have to do another - like tattoos is tough to get just one.

Novelty bells

Added rotation in the direction of the KB orbit with the slingshots. This drags footwork into the mix and also increases the energy of the KB.

Went back to the 70 lb for my pressing. I wanted to:
-see if it felt stronger since I last did them and
-really work the eccentric phase
I also felt 3 reps is maybe not enough and I might have to add another set if I continue with 80lb/3reps.

Double front squat continues to gel. I am really concentrating on feeling my heels dig in when I begin my clean - I want it to feel just like a DL at first.

Am also adding 10 slow breaths at the finish and adopting a GS longstyle posture hold - elbows on Illiac crest as much as possible and work on getting some quality breathing. Am glad I though to add these, it feels tough but great work and only one way to dial it in.
Also working on really digging in my toes on the front squat - seems to stabilize the knees a lot.

I'm also continuing to use inverse breathing on the swings for now - it feels strong...(?).

warm-up:
Slingshots 20 each direction 35lb
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb

Overhead press
70lbs 5 reps each hand
4 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Double front squat
32kg and 28 kg 5 reps
4 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Meat and potatoes workout, nothing different except continuing with full rotational slingshots and dropped down to 50lbs on the triple extension swings to really dial them in. Continuing to use anatomical breathing with my swings.

warm-up:
Rotational slingshots 20 each direction 35lb
figure 8s 20 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb
swings, one hand 62lbs 20 reps ea regular, 40 reps triple extension swings two hands with 50 lbs

Bent Press
8 reps 62 lbs
6 reps 72 lbs
4/3 drop set 62/72

Bent row towel
12 reps 120
8 reps 140
5/3 drop set 140/120

8 reps 50lbs
6/4 50/40

Swing/squat
20 reps 50 lbs
x2

Stretch

Was supposed to be the heavy day but am feeling a little burnt around the edges and have a slight muscle pull in left upper hamstring/base of glute from slipping while lobbing tennis balls with a Balearic sling for the dog.

Aside from the swings and she does slingshot with no rotation, this is the workout circuit I whipped up for the wife.

warm-up:
figure 8s 20 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb

All lifts done with 50lb KB no rest between sets

right hand -

Single leg deadlift
10rep

overhead press
10 reps

Front squat
8 reps

One arm rows
10 reps

glute bridge
10 reps

repeat Left side
repeat 3x

This go around I did ladders and for pacing I held the KB(s) in a GS rack and took a like number of deep breaths to space each set of reps.

Felt good, and a good way to keep working the GS rack into my routine. Did NOT feel any easier than straight sets of 5. Chopped my rest from 4 minutes ea to 3 - overall time for total workout was the same.

warm-up:
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb

Overhead press
70lbs 1,2,3 ladders
3 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Double front squat
32kg and 28 kg 1,2,3 ladders
3 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Very impressive and creative training, I must admit. I'll add this snatch squat to my far goals :)

Thanks for taking a look! I try to get around and check out everyone's logs but it isn't easy to make that time with all the other content on here. Its great to have this and see how and what other people are up to though - honestly inspiring.

Snatch squat is brutal at first, I do it with more of a hang snatch and a four breath pace. It can be tricky to learn but a serious metabolic kick in the pants.

Basic workout, added two reps to the heavy deck squats but only because I misread my notes...

warm-up:
Rotational slingshots 15 each direction 35lb
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb
swings, two hand 62lbs 40 reps regular, 40 reps triple extension swings two hands

TGU - not alternating
4 reps 50lbs
3 reps 62 lb
2/2 drop set 62/50

One hand rows
8 rep 70lb
6 rep85lb
3/3 drop set 85/70

Deck Squats
8 rep 62
4/4 drop set 62/50

Hack Squat
10 rep 50lbs x2

Stretch

Am writing off TGUs after severe nerve pain the day after my last workout employing it. Need to find an alternative on those days.

Back to it - power building day.

warm-up:
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb
swings, two hand 62lbs 20 reps ea regular, 40 reps triple extension swings two hands

Overhead press
70lbs 1,2,3 ladders
3 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Double front squat
3 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Training outside so only three KBs

warm-up:
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb
swings, two hand 70lbs 40 reps regular, 40 reps triple extension swings two hands 50lbs

Bent Press to squat
70lb 7 reps, 3 sets

Towel bent rows
130lbs 10 reps 3 sets

Circular cleans to reverse lunge
50 lbs 8 reps 2 sets

Kettlebell Pec Deck (Whaaaa!)
50lbs 15 reps 2 sets

Goofing around with these but actually feels like a good exercise. Video to follow...

Edit to add:
And here's the Kettlebell "Pec Deck"

Last edited:
Strength day.

warm-up:
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb
swings, two hand 70lbs 40 reps, one hand 10 each x2.

Grip is not where it needs to be for a steady diet of one hand 32s yet, at least not with my current 32 which has a very thick handle. The two handers feel a lot easier than I expected. Still doing anatomical breathing.

This is the last workout doing double front squat for legs. Next strength day will be with tube sand at at least the same weight if not a good bit more - 3 tubes would be 180 lbs to the 132 DFSQ. I need to figure out how to get them all on one shoulder, fetching them off the ground will be an added bonus/complication. No more ladders for legs - straight 4-5 reps with 4 sets.

Overhead press with ladders have been working slow eccentric, still challenging. I might play around with the rung numbers - 2,4,2 seems like it would do some interesting things.

Overhead press
70lbs 1,2,3 ladders
3 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Double front squat
3 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Decided to take a closer look at TGU form before writing them off. Made extra attention to detail at the drop from hand to elbow, as I'm pretty sure my shoulder was coming out of packed at just that stage and irritating my degenerative disk.
Feels OK so far. I'd like to push these up to 32 kg again and alternate every rep.

warm-up:
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb
swings, 32kg two hands 40 reps, triple extension swings 50lbs 40 reps

TGU - not alternating
4 reps 50lbs
3 reps 62 lb
2/2 drop set 62/50

One hand rows
8 rep 70lb
6 rep85lb
3/3 drop set 85/70

Deck Squats
6 rep 62
4/4 drop set 62/50

Hack Squat
10 rep 50lbs x2

Not feeling very strong today, but am doing more and heavier swings - skip the triple extension. Also skipped the ladders and on to straight sets of 5 reps with lots of eccentric - very tough today, esp with my right arm.

Is becoming imperative I get more weight on my legs. The DFSQ is still a bear but is all core, my legs are easily crushing these out. Maybe some Bulgarian splits next time. Was gonna use sandbags but is raining heavily and I can't use sandbags indoors.

warm-up:
Slingshots 20 each direction 35lb
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb
swings, 2 kg two hands, 2 sets of 40

Overhead press
70lbs 5 reps each hand
4 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Double front squat
32kg and 28 kg 5 reps
4 minutes rest

repeat 4 times

Simplifies the workout a little to get outside and moving faster. No drop sets but paid extra attention to the eccentric on all.

Finished with some isometrics - pec deck with towel - just like the video only no weight and upright, and some single leg DL - am going to include some iso at the end of every workout.

warm-up:
Slingshots 20each direction 35lb
figure 8s 20 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb
swings, two hand 32kg 40 reps, one hand 32 kg two sets of 5, switch in the air.

Bent Press
6 reps 72 lbs x3

Bent row towel
12 reps 120
10 reps 120 x2

6 reps 50lbs x2

iso pec deck and single leg DL complex x2

Try doing heavy windmills in place of the TGU. I did this last spring and really enjoyed it. I may try this again soon.

@ ShawnM
Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest I don't ever do Windmills anymore - I should stick them in somewhere.

It seems my extra attention on keeping the upper arm closer to the body when I roll to elbow has helped keep the shoulder packed better. Last time out I had zero issues the next day with nerve pain, actually none at the time of the workout either.

When I'm doing TGU it feels like the non load bearing arm is more the focus - not sure how others perceive it.

Working the 32 into the TGU. Am really feeling some loss of strength on right side due to DD, will be a good test of form.

warm-up:
figure 8s 30 each 35lb
halos 15 each 35lb
swings, two hand 32kg 40 reps x2

TGU - not alternating
4 reps 50lbs
-alternating
32kg 1 rep 2 sets x2

One hand rows - lateral (arm pulled at 90° to torso)
12 rep 50lb x3

Deck Squats
6 rep 62lbs
8 rep 50lbs

Kettlebell crush pushup*/hack squat complex x2

Back
Top Bottom