all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

I have posted about Heavy Sandbags before:
Strongman, sandbags and rehab

Now I think rubber mulch is the best filler material. I got it at a landscape products store for $8/25lb. The density and volume is somewhere between pea gravel and wood pellets. My 200lb rubber mulch bag is a beast.

I have never had a leakage or burst with a good demolition bag and electric tape even with a 220lb pea gravel bag loaded, shouldered, and weight over bar at sternum height. I dropped a 160lb from overhead multiple times with no issues.

Two bags I washed and dried on hot a few times to shrink them and it made them to a bit more sensibly sized.

@Geoff Chafe,

Thanks for the tips and links! We are late enough in the season around here that woodpellets are starting to drop in price. And I work about half mile from one of the largest garden/landscaping outlets in the area. Rubber mulch.....

warmup:
slingshots 20 each, and figure 8s 40 with 35lb KB

Pushups 36, 30, 26
single leg DL 90lbs 12,12,10

Above run through 3 times

Jumping back squats 60lbs 10, 8, 8
bent arm lifts 60lb 6, 6, 5

Stretch:
Cossack stretch/downward dog/seated twist

warmup:

Alternating 1 hand swing 50 lbs 20 reps ea
oapu 5,5,5, drop set 4

Double clean to squat, 28 and 32kg KBs 10, 8, 8
one arm row 85lbs 8, 8, 8 drop set 7 with 50lbs

Stretch:

Your workouts are spot on! I might borrow your warmup scheme in the future (if you don't mind), when I'm capable to practice with kettlebells again. Keep up the good work!(y)

Your workouts are spot on! I might borrow your warmup scheme in the future (if you don't mind), when I'm capable to practice with kettlebells again. Keep up the good work!(y)

Take it all if you want! Glad it might be of some help/use. I do a lot of unorthodox supplemental stuff, bu the basics are never far.

The slingshot movement is pretty versatile. I use it mostly to loosen up, but I found even with a 16kg or other relatively light weight, if you go fast but don't allow the arms to lift way from the body, you get a ton of agonist/antagonist work, almost like Iso.

I also do my figure 8s with a squat and slight lean to the side to clear the bell, and pop right back up to a standing posture. Easy on the joints but man the quads, glutes, hammies, all get a good warmup. If I'm too enthusiastic these turn into an outright exercise.

Have been experimenting with suspending a KB (15 or 20 lb) on one end of a 4 foot long 2" diameter dowel - a cast iron Hobo stick bundle. By varying how far from the weight I place my hands I vary the resistance. The large diameter is taxing on grip, the further you extend the harder these movements get. The 20lber feels like the weight of the world. It tends to work both push and pull with asymmetrical holds.

This is the first run through as a resistance-Iso/variety day replacement for my pushups and bent rows. Absolutely brutal from stem to stern. Video to follow if these survive a few more cycles. They probably will - the mechanics of the paddle variant are virtually identical to canoe paddling. With a lighter load these would be pretty therapeutic as long as good core form is observed.

I don't know how many movements I will ultimately come up with, but have three solid ones so far and I use the dowel suspended across sandbags for my pushups anyway - its not an extra stand-alone piece of gear.

warmup:

Sandbag Goodmornings, 90 lbs 12,12,10
Hobo stick KB paddles w/ 20lb kb 10, 10, 8

above three times with 1.5 minutes between

Jumping back squats, 60 lbs 10, 10, 10
hobo stick KB shovels 8, 8, 8

Stretch:

warmup:

Pushups 30,30,28 drop set (off of knees) +8
SLDL 60lb sandbag 12,12,10

Bent arm sandbag lift --youtu.be/cBtG58fGuyo-- 60 lbs 6, 6, 5
Pistols 8, 8, 7

Stretch:

Here is a look at the "Kettlebell Hobo Stick" I've been doing. Normally 3 sets of 8-10 reps inserted in my usual upper body push/pull slots.

Finally getting some increase on the OAPU rep #s, felt pretty good.

warmup:

OAPU 6,6,5+3 drop set (off of one knee)
2H swing 28kg 30, 30, 30

Double clean to squat (roll the kbs onto traps) 132 lbs 8, 8, 7
one hand bent row 87lbs 8, 8, 7+ 4 drop set w/28kg

Stretch:

warmup:

Single leg DL 60lb sandbag, 12, 12, 10
Hobo stick diggers 20lb KB 8, 8, 7

Jumping back squats 60lb sandbag 10, 10, 8
Hobo Paddle 20lb KB 7, 7, 6

Stretch:

warmup:

alternating swings 50lb, 20, 25, 20
Pushups 30, 28, 25 + 8 drop set (off of knees)

double KB squat 32+28 kg 10, 12, 10
bent arm sandbag lift 60 lbs 5, 4, 5

Stretch:

warmup:

PUs 30, 28, 20 drop set + 10
single leg DL 60lbs 12, 12, 10

Jumping backsquat 60lbs 10, 10, 8
Sandbag front loaders 60lbs 6, 5, 6

unloaded decksquats, 8 reps alternating with

Continuing to gain traction with the one arm pushups, could have probably maxed out at 9 or 10 on my first set but was surprised to hit 7 and still have gas in the tank. Will have to plan on more.

warmup:

OAPUs 7, 7, 5+4 drop set off of one knee
2H swing 28kg 30reps x3

Double clean to backsquat 32 and 28kg - 8, 10, 8
one arm bent row 32kg x 12, 80lbs x 8, 32kg x8, + 5 drop set w/28kg

And finally getting some traction with the jumping backsquats. Have improved breathing rhythm and can up weight or add reps at this point.

warmup:

PUs 30, 25, 20 drop set + 10
single leg DL 60lbs 15, 15, 12

Jumping backsquat 60lbs 10, 10, 10
Sandbag front loaders 60lbs 6, 6, 5

Notes- hobo bundle movements continue to engage and challenge. I suspect there are dozens of variations but relatively few that are sufficiently different from what can be done same or better with plain KBs or sandbags. Still, I am GTGing a few other movements. Don't have a name for the ones I did today. Like a one handed shove/neck grab with reserve hand held at high ready - video to follow. Very difficult and great upper pec activation.

Backsquats are feeling strong - don't want to add reps and not sure how to add weight. Time to get creative...

One handed swings with 32kg my grip is no longer a limiting factor. At 15 reps my HR and wind are the limiting factors - one year ago could barely do 5 - I wouldn't have believed this possible. Probably would completely gas out at 25 or so non stop. My wrist surgeon would either be delighted or horrified :) my post surgical wrist strength was not expected to exceed 75% of pre-surgical strength. I believe the grip work on the hobo bundle has helped, along with some time spent on a rubber squeeze ring thingie

Am finally feeling lower back and hamstrings loosening up from the unloaded decksquats.

warmup:
Hobo front grab (?) 10, 10, 12
one arm swings 32 kg 15, 15, 15

Hobo paddle 8, 8, 8
double clean to back squat 32 & 28kg 10, 8, 8

Here are the other two movements that seem to have utility not readily covered by more traditional movements/exercises. The Uppercut is done with a push and pull, delivering a good upper body challenge. The front grab is only a challenge for the driving hand.

Am open to other names for these if anyone can come up with something catchy.

One can do all manner of rotational movements, rowing, pressing etc, but this would only be practical if you didn't have any other weights as there is virtually no difference in many of the movement patterns.

Realistically, aside from legs most folks could get by with nothing heavier than 30 lbs or so, and that would be an incredible load for most of the lifts. If that got too easy you could just get a longer pole.

Am very surprised the Gada and macebell aren't used in this manner. 180s and 360s are somewhat boring to me, and take a lot of room to execute.

warmup:

Hobo Bundle uppercuts 25 lbs 8, 8, 6
one arm swing 32kg 15, 15, 15

above three sets with 1.5 minutes between

Double clean to backsquat - 32 and 28 kg KBs 12, 10, 10
Hobo bundle paddle 25 lbs 6,6,6

The hobo bundle experiment continues. What was initially conceived as higher rep metcon esque movements are now evolving toward becoming serious grinds, lowering the reps and increasing load each workout feels great.

Have to fight the temptation to stop my upper body exercise rotation and just do these to see what the effect is in the shortest time.

A better look at the "uppercut". Am amazed at how much this activates the pecs - every bit as fired up as a long set of pushups (or a short set of OAPUs).
These and the paddles make a great 1-2 combo.

Last edited:
Last Hobo bundle workout for a week, will put this into the rotation.

Have resigned myself to heavier single leg deadlift for my heavy hinge, so need to work on balance. Light hinge might be 32 kg 2h swings for 40-50 rep sets.

For backsquats I am still not sure, I may have to swap out for Zircher and Hack variations, or try to load up single leg movements. Have had luck doing this, but not with any serious weights before balance becomes a problem - 16 kg for pistols and skaters. This would still put me back in the 5 rep range but is not the same as heavier loads w/ two legs.

warmup:

Hobo Bundle uppercuts 25 lbs 10, 8, 8
single leg DL 32 kg 12, 12, 12

above three sets with 1.5 minutes between

jumping backsquat 60 lbs 12,10, 10
Hobo bundle paddle 25 lbs 8, 8, 8

warmup: